The Student Room Group

What's it like to be in love?

I'm not talking about when you like someone, or when its unreciprocated.

I'm talking about true love, is it exactly how Hollywood movies portray it?

How do you know when your in love?

Just something I was thinking about..

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pride&Prejudice
I'm not talking about when you like someone, or when its unreciprocated.

I'm talking about true love, is it exactly how Hollywood movies portray it?

How do you know when your in love?

Just something I was thinking about..

i have been with my boyfriend now for 2 years and i love him so much. if you will do anything for them you know you are in love
What do you watch? Pretty Woman? Bridesmaids? This Means War? The Bounty Hunter? Romeo + Juliet? 500 Days of Summer?

I think that films like that can often be misleading for people, and the real world isn't as perfect, but people often set high expectations and are left disappointed or settling for less. Do people exist that can meet those expectations? Maybe. But you'd have to be pretty darn special yourself.

You'll know when you've felt it and it doesn't disappear or wear off over time.
It feels like one is top of the world, like the very blood that flows turns to gold, like every smell you feel becomes a mixture of honey and roses, every touch becomes silk, you feel the light of an angel touch your heart, every sound will be as though mozart had sex with coldplay, an indescribable feeling that puts heaven itself to shame...

then it all gets torn away, the gold turns to ash, the roses turn to ammonia, the silk turns to cactus, the sounds turn to the screeches of demons and the light is replaced by the darkest of creatures that will make hell look like the comfort of your mother's love...
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by SeanFM
What do you watch? Pretty Woman? Bridesmaids? This Means War? The Bounty Hunter? Romeo + Juliet? 500 Days of Summer?

I think that films like that can often be misleading for people, and the real world isn't as perfect, but people often set high expectations and are left disappointed or settling for less. Do people exist that can meet those expectations? Maybe. But you'd have to be pretty darn special yourself.

This. It's different for everyone, but generally feels lik everything's perfect and always will be.

Nobody is perfect. That said, I've found that you don't love a perfect person; loving them makes them perfect.
Reply 5
For me, its been a rollercoaster with more highs than lows. He has made me the happiest I've ever been in my life but he also knows how to wind me up. I've had the "I want to shout from the rooftops with how much I love you!" feeling and I still get it from time to time but after so many years together, it develops into a deeper and more stable love. You feel truly connected to them and that you do become one, while still remaining who you are individually and I love that I have reached that stage in my own relationship.

How I knew I loved my partner was that I cared for him more than I cared for myself. I worried about him and want what is best for him. I don't see myself ever falling for anyone the way I have for him and I'd be bloody lucky to find someone as well suited to me as him and as good as a man as him and I never want to lose him.

I wouldn't compare our love story to any film or novel, all those stories seem far fetched and a bit deluded. Its not been perfect and its not always been a barrel of laughs but we've gotten through everything that has been thrown at us and came out all the stronger and to this day, we still have fun, love each other and want to spend the rest of our lives together and I couldn't ask for more than that :h:
Original post by SeanFM

:ashamed:

So I won't ever find Mr Rochester?

So I will never be proposed to like this??!

[video="youtube;Ard8hElhUY4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ard8hElhUY4[/video]

So no-one is going to tell me if I leave they will "bleed inwardly"? :frown: Am I not going to be anyones "equal and likeness"? Will no-one call me their "rare, and unearthly thing"? :frown: STOP KILLING MY DREAMS SEAN!
Reply 7
You can't breathe when you hear their name, your heartbeat changes.. you think of her every time you put your head on that pillow, is she safe? is she cold? is she happy? etc.

oh boy, I miss these feelings.
I wouldn't know
Original post by K2G
You can't breathe when you hear their name, your heartbeat changes.. you think of her every time you put your head on that pillow, is she safe? is she cold? is she happy? etc.

oh boy, I miss these feelings.

its ok

there there..

:smile:
when your banter is in sync
Original post by mariam687
its ok

there there..

:smile:

You ever had those feelings yourself? You know what, I think every girl has had these feelings at some stage of their lives...
+
I got in trouble for speaking freely to a stranger.... IN SCHOOL! And now my parents were contacted and I am in MAJOR trouble, as in, no phone until after GCSE, trouble.... :frown: :sigh:
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
:ashamed:

So I won't ever find Mr Rochester?

So I will never be proposed to like this??!

So no-one is going to tell me if I leave they will "bleed inwardly"? :frown: Am I not going to be anyones "equal and likeness"? Will no-one call me their "rare, and unearthly thing"? :frown: STOP KILLING MY DREAMS SEAN!

Who knows, you might indeed find Mr Rochester and become his 'other woman'.

I'm sure that it would be something like this:

Original post by SeanFM
Who knows, you might indeed find Mr Rochester and become his 'other woman'.

I'm sure that it would be something like this:

:colonhash: his "other woman" :colonhash:

Oh poor Tess. Her life makes me sad. :frown:
:colonhash: his "other woman" :colonhash:

Oh poor Tess. Her life makes me sad. :frown:

:lol: did you want to be the wife? :redface:

'twas a cruel fate. :moon:
Original post by SeanFM
:lol: did you want to be the wife? :redface:

'twas a cruel fate. :moon:

Well obviously, why would I settle for anything other than that title...:colonhash:

It was indeed.:frown:
At the start of a relationship, you get that whole 'butterflies in my stomach' kind of feeling but after a while, that settles down.. you still get that warm fuzzy feeling but it feels more like you're home and comfortable. That's how I knew.

Arguments are inevitable but if you are willing to talk it through, compromise and not hold grudges as opposed to just shouting at each other then that means something. This is pretty cliche but the littlest things mean so much more for me too, like just shopping for groceries or when he puts toothpaste on my toothbrush after he's done brushing his teeth. Movies tend to look at relationships through rose-tinted glasses because who really wants to watch a couple fighting over the most mundane things? It's honestly no fairytale and it's imperfect but weirdly, that's what makes it perfect.

It's just like hanging out with my best friend 24/7 for me tbh, it's so chilled.
Well obviously, why would I settle for anything other than that title...:colonhash:

It was indeed.:frown:

That's fine, just expect a series of hurdles until you're settled and happy :redface: (no, really :s-smilie:).
Original post by jenigma
At the start of a relationship, you get that whole 'butterflies in my stomach' kind of feeling but after a while, that settles down.. you still get that warm fuzzy feeling but it feels more like you're home and comfortable. That's how I knew.

Arguments are inevitable but if you are willing to talk it through, compromise and not hold grudges as opposed to just shouting at each other then that means something. This is pretty cliche but the littlest things mean so much more for me too, like just shopping for groceries or when he puts toothpaste on my toothbrush after he's done brushing his teeth. Movies tend to look at relationships through rose-tinted glasses because who really wants to watch a couple fighting over the most mundane things? It's honestly no fairytale and it's imperfect but weirdly, that's what makes it perfect.

It's just like hanging out with my best friend 24/7 for me tbh, it's so chilled.

That is exactly how it is with my boyfriend and I. We were friends before he asked me out but liked each other for seven months before either of us realised. At first, I was just a giant mess of butterflies and everything was so much more vivid and alive. After awhile, it settled down. At first, I was really scared that maybe my feelings were going away but then I realised that those feelings weren't real love, they were infatuation, and what I found now was the person I could spend the rest of my life with. He's the only person who knows me better than I do and I would do anything for him. And like you said, the little things become so much more important that the grand gestures and people who are in love do fight and movies tend to gloss over the reality of it all. Love has to be fought for and you have to want it badly enough otherwise it doesn't survive.
Original post by mariam687
maybe i have, maybe i havent :wink:

w8, ur skl contacted ur parents?! bc u as speaking to a stranger? what?! lmaoooo
have u already been shouted at or not yet? xDD

gdluck doe, you'll need it
ukno asian parents init... xD

its ok, my phone has been taken off me for like ages, you get used to it
we can be the "confiscated phone buddies" :smile:

Yeah,it was sooo random. Some bloke took me from my class for a lecture about not talking to strangers.
They haven't contacted them, and In Sha Allah they will never find out. :biggrin:

Erm.... :biggrin: Okay! :biggrin: It's calm anyways, all I do is snapchat.... I deactivated everything else at the start of year 9... :biggrin:
+
I use social media for homework help and talking to them to kill time... Nothing else :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending