The Student Room Group

2016 AQA Biology Unit 1 - Unofficial Mark scheme 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 480
Original post by ammara-123
What was the malaria mean??

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it was 0.67%
For the speed of travel as an idiot I put that the spinal cord has a relay neurone which makes it quicker. Would I get a mark for saying it had a relay neurone? Also, would hands be classed as a sense organ? Finally, why wasn't the biomass 90% cause I put that energy is lost by the lettuce and snail?
Original post by 0lut0
What about thigh muscles

Posted from TSR Mobile

no, you could have had skin, tongue, nose, eyes and ear
Original post by TurquoiseSkai
For the sake of myself, everybody who sat that exam and AQA, I sincerely hope those grade boundaries are lowered for a couple of reasons;

•There was too much reading to do in the paper given the time limit in my opinion. Hard or not I usually finish an exam with the upwards of 5mins to spare and I ran out of time today, I did manage to finish though. However I know quite a few didn't manage this.

•They missed out a good chunk of the specification. Absolutely NO questions on the menstrual cycle, cell cloning, vaccination etc...

•I agree with most people who they say the difficulty of this paper compared to past papers was a very large jump. I've been hitting solid A's/A*'s (at the lowest B's) in Biology for a year and a half now and I thought that paper was shocking.

I am really not looking forward to the remaining science exams. I need 5 A*-C to stay in the school I'm in now (something I really really want to do) and I was planning on taking Biology, Chemistry and Performing Arts. If the remaining exams are anything like today's I can wave A-Level science goodbye. :frown:

:biggrin:
Original post by charliej2802
Yeah should be fine!

Nah cos it said organs in the head used the brain and it asked for one without the brain so skin
For the calculation one I put 0.6 with a dot to show recuring do you think that would be ok
Original post by Bendav371
That's right

No it isn't, it needed to end in a 7!
Original post by sarah400001
For the calculation one I put 0.6 with a dot to show recuring do you think that would be ok

Definitely one mark because your working out is right but not sure about 2 unless it's in the allow column
Original post by dachessmystrezz
The question was asking whether impulses travelling to the brain or impulses travelling to the cns was faster, and I think it asked why? I'm a bit hazy but the answer was that the impulses to the brain were faster due to them travelling 3cm/millisecond, whereas impulses to the cns travelled 1.6cm/millisecond. It travelled more in the same time.

If it did ask why, the reasoning would be that due to a lack of a relay neuron, the impulse would not be converted chemically as it wouldn't have to diffuse over two synapses (which takes some time).

I thought that the question itself said that spinal reflexes are faster than brain-dominated, so a relay neurone actually speeds up the process. I'm probably incorrect though. There goes 2 marks
Normally, I am a B to A student, but in this Bio test, I don't think I even scraped a C....
Original post by Mazjazz
I think it was 0.67%

Yes it was.
Original post by habeeb_00
I got 0.666 whoops for the malaria one

Posted from TSR Mobile

0.6 recurring is correct for the percentage, it should be 0.6 recurring %
Original post by sarah400001

Emmm, I don't know science doesn't normally like recurring numbers.
Original post by Anonymous1705
I wouldn't be that scared tbh, considering the highest the grade boundaries have been out of the past 3 years was 47 for an A*. That means you can afford to lose 13 marks and still get an A* assuming that the grade boundaries don't go any higher.

Grade boundary will be 50-51 for A*
For all that are stressed go onto top trending twitter and #aqabiology - great banta there
what was the % increase of polar bear to sun bear.
Original post by thatnerdygirl001
0.6 recurring is correct for the percentage, it should be 0.6 recurring %

Yes, it should, however in science, you should always round your answer to a suitable degree of accuracy.
Reply 497
Original post by erodedsoul
Realistic and sensible grade boundary predictions:

A*-45
A-36
B-27
C-17

Posted from TSR Mobile

i doubt a 45 would be an A* i though it was something like 41 above an A and 51 above an A*
Original post by habeeb_00
I got 0.666 whoops for the malaria one

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same I'm pretty sure that's right
Reply 499
Original post by erodedsoul
Realistic and sensible grade boundary predictions:

A*-45
A-36
B-27
C-17

Posted from TSR Mobile

i doubt a 45 would be an A* i though it was something like 41 above an A and 51 above an A* not sure tho

Quick Reply