The Student Room Group

AQA alevel law unit 1 and 2

Scroll to see replies

Original post by helena1999
I thought it was good!! Only question I didn't like was the first question of criminal courts and lay people - anyone else do this? You?

I did that one, i briefly described what what in the magistrate court i.e. dual role, evidence and sentencing and the mode of trial for TEW offences and o described crown courts and briefly explained jurors and their role and mentioned the judge hears appeals with two magistrates.

I then explain summary, TEW and indictable offences and explained each appeal court and what they did.

Did you do delegated legislation i was so happy when advantages and disadvantages came up.
Reply 61
Original post by Bruce267099
I did that one, i briefly described what what in the magistrate court i.e. dual role, evidence and sentencing and the mode of trial for TEW offences and o described crown courts and briefly explained jurors and their role and mentioned the judge hears appeals with two magistrates.

I then explain summary, TEW and indictable offences and explained each appeal court and what they did.

Did you do delegated legislation i was so happy when advantages and disadvantages came up.

i did the delegated legislation i was so happy to about the adv. and disadv. too infact all the questions on that topic where good ha
Reply 62
Does this mean that law 2 is going to be really difficult or do you reckon the rest of the topics in that paper were more challenging than criminal courts, statutory interpretation and delegated legislation...
Overall I found the paper to be easy
Original post by blu3
no i didn't although i did see it. it looked horrible :frown:
i thought the paper overall wasnt to bad!

It pretty good, I was expecting worse questions to be fair! I'm not ready for unit 2 :frown:
I did statutory interpretation and judicial precedent and I thought they were pretty straightforward. The lay people was harder tho. I wrote about magistrates and crown courts and the type of offences they hear and then I wrote about which courts you can appeal to on sentence/conviction. Don't know if this was right?
They usually ask about the advantages/disadvantages of both jurors and magistrates.

I've learnt these as -

Magistrate advantages - RBCK
Representative, 57% women, 9% ethnic minority
Bingham (Lord) called them "democratic jewel beyond price"
Cost, only pay for expenses, w/o magistrates would cost judicial system £100 million extra as will need 1000 more judges, all being paid at least £100,000
Knowledge of the area, in Paul V DPP, a man was able to be convicted based on the magistrate knowing that the area the defendant was kerb crawling was residential making it a nuisance.

Magistrate Disadvantages - RUPA
Reliant on Legal Advisors, R V Eccles, the legal advisor retired with the magistrates although no law was being discussed
Unrepresentative, 2/3 are managers compared to the 1/3 in society, also 57% are over 60 and 0.37% are under 30 which means defendants (usually under 25) are not being judged by their peers
Prosecution Bias, Bingham Justice has told us that Magistrates have admitted to believing the police over defendants
Auld report has said it is "disproportionately well off and middle class" as they can afford to work for free whereas lower classes cannot.

Jury Advantages - PEEL
Public enthusiasm, for examples home office report 2004 found that over half of those summoned were 'enthusiastic' and the others feeling reluctant said this was mainly due to their availability.
Equity, in Stephen Owens, the defendant attempted to kill the man who killed his son through bad driving and who had previous convictions, he was found innocent, showing morality and fairness come into light under the justice system without limitations of law.
Elimination of bias, research in 2007 found that a racially mixed jury will not discriminate a defendant, showing its fairness. It has also been called 'the light that lets freedom live'
Long and established approach, the magna carta 1215 has said 'every person has the right of a lawful judgement by their peers'

Jury Disadvantages - MBIC
Misuse of media, jurors can be irresponsible and not follow their role properly, in Fraile and Sewart, the juror spoke to the defendant on Facebook whilst his guilt was being deliberated
Bias, Jurys can judge people based on their appearance etc. Also in Dallas, the juror went home and researched the defendant and found out his previous convictions making her decision a biased one as they shouldn't know prev. convictions
Influences, they can be easily knobbled by gang members,R V McKenna, the defendant was acquitted as the judge gave the jury a limited time frame which goes against them being independent
Complexity of issues, sometimes Jurors don't take their role seriously and can be naive, in Delroy Grant, the defendant was charged with raping 29 women within 10 years, he argued his ex wife planted his semen, he was convicted on a 10-2 basis showing that 2 were fooled by his alibi.

I know this is a lot to learn in the few hours you have left but i hope it helps.
They usually ask a question about the cases a mag/crown can deal with or the process or possibly the work of a magistrate. If you need help with these just ask.

They usually ask about the qualification and selection - which you have learnt as well as the advantages/disadvantages.

Thank you so much, you helped a lot!! :smile:
Original post by shropshire_lass
I did statutory interpretation and judicial precedent and I thought they were pretty straightforward. The lay people was harder tho. I wrote about magistrates and crown courts and the type of offences they hear and then I wrote about which courts you can appeal to on sentence/conviction. Don't know if this was right?

I wrote pretty much the same as you for the criminal courts and lay people section. It confused me a bit :s-smilie:
Original post by amourpink
Thank you so much, you helped a lot!! :smile:

good :smile:
Original post by Bruce267099

Original post by shropshire_lass

I wrote that magistrates hear summary offences and some either way and what trials juries hear, then went on to say where appeals go, so like high courts, court of appeal, supreme court and ECHR
Reply 69
I have some good news the 2015 law past papers are on aqa now. So if you wanna make predictions go ahead and goodluck

From someone that resat Unit 1
Reply 70
Hi, does anyone have any essay or essay plan for AS LA2 question for interactive and external aids? Really appreciate if someone has one as I'm struggling to write one on that topic. And any predictions on what may come up? Thanks guys
I wrote that magistrates hear summary offences and some either way and what trials juries hear, then went on to say where appeals go, so like high courts, court of appeal, supreme court and ECHR

That's basically what I wrote too

I thought i did it wrong, because my teacher always you need to seperate your points from appeals from magistrate and crown, but i did it generically and explained what each one could do and whether they hear conviction, sentence or point of law.

Sorry for the poor grammar guys I'm not with it today. :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
For the disadvantages of law people i said how juries were bias and explained using R v Ponting and said magistrates were bias using Bingham justices ex parte jowett. Can i still get the maximum mark in the question.
Reply 74
What came up on unit 1? I sat this exam last year, curious? 💁
Original post by NHM
What came up on unit 1? I sat this exam last year, curious? 💁

I don't know for each topic... but the three that I did

Delegated Legislation:
- two forms of delegated legislation
- parliamentary control
- advantages and disadvantages of delegated legislation

Statutory interpretation:
- intrinsic and extrinsic aids
- mischief rule
- advantages and disadvantages of mischief rule

Criminal courts and lay people:
- criminal courts, appeal courts and offences tried in each
- training of magistrates after appointment
- disadvantages of lay people
(edited 7 years ago)
Anyone have any predictions as to the questions on unit 2 ?
Reply 77
Original post by XxShivani
I don't know for each topic... but the three that I did

Delegated Legislation:
- two forms of delegated legislation
- parliamentary control
- advantages and disadvantages of delegated legislation

Statutory interpretation:
- intrinsic and extrinsic aids
- mischief rule
- advantages and disadvantages of mischief rule

Criminal courts and lay people:
- criminal courts, appeal courts and offences tried in each
- training of magistrates after appointment
- disadvantages of lay people

Similar to my exam then last year, I think the delegated legislation questions were really the same but I had judicial controls rather than palimentary controls! Seems like a good paper...
Reply 78
Does anyone know what are the questions about judicial precedent ? And what answers are expected to be answered of the question 1 of criminal court
Reply 79
Did anyone find the unit 1 exam hard?
If not then the grade boundaries will be high.....
:-(

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending