The Student Room Group

Do you believe in God?

Scroll to see replies

I really find it difficult to imagine that anyone truly believes in God.
I have asked people who claim to believe in God but I never get a straight answer.
How can you possibly believe in something that has no evidence?

(I honestly do want a reply, this is not an attack, I genuinely want to know if anyone truly believes that a god exists.)
Original post by TheBirder
I have asked people who claim to believe in God but I never get a straight answer.

(I honestly do want a reply, this is not an attack, I genuinely want to know if anyone truly believes that a god exists.)

Interesting point, I hope you get a reply too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok no replies yet lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ciaranh98
Why would I believe and worship something that was written over 2000 years ago, and hasn't been adapted to suit modern times? Also, I don't like looking like an idiot when I pray to the air, there is no proof that God exists, all proof that has been discovered is against God existing. In this kind of world, seeing really is believing.

Preach (excuse the pun :ahee::laugh:)
I can only believe to potato.
Original post by sh9
Yes. I've always been conscious of God, but I've never been religious or taken a genuine interest in learning more up until this year.

Last year I had a lot of questions that consumed my thoughts every single day, such as the reasons for our existence, the entire universe etc. I eventually spent a lot of time researching, looked into different religions and made up my mind. I found the answers I needed to know.

Everyone has their own beliefs (or lack thereof) and experiences. From my personal experience, my life has improved SO much since I started acknowledging God and seeking help through patience and prayer. I haven't felt grief since.
I can't explain it in the way I want to, but my life has drastically improved in so many ways.

So you were scared and now have found comfort? What a great way to find God.

No wonder it worked so well back in the day when no one had a clue about the universe and some people came along and said it's all chill, this guy in the sky made us and he is good, just you know pray to him and do this and that and all is well.
Original post by Pepsi Cola :)
Preach (excuse the pun :ahee::laugh:)

Haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do/did any of those people who answered with no learn RE at school?
I don't because it's optional at all the schools I've ever been at, but in some places I've heard that it's not an option so do people who realise it's all a bunch of cr*p have to learn stuff from the bible?
Do/did any of those people who answered with no learn RE at school?
I don't because it's optional at all the schools I've ever been at, but in some places I've heard that it's not an option so do people who realise it's all a bunch of cr*p have to learn stuff from the bible?

RE was compulsory at my school

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by davidguettafan

I believe in a divine transcendent being, that I like to call God. What about you?
Original post by Defraction
I believe in a divine transcendent being, that I like to call God. What about you?

No I don't believe in things which have no evidence.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 72
yup:smile:
Reply 73

Ummm... why that profile picture X'D

Yes.

I can't speak for everyone but some people say they feel his presence whenever they're at a place of worship or through prayer.
No I don't believe in things which have no evidence.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is evidence- look around you. Is it not a sheer fact that a tree has been designed, everything in nature has a purpose and this purpose couldn't have happened by chance. As the famous saying states: "Everything happens for a reason"- a reason that only a divine, transcendent being knows. We, as human beings, are too ignorant and selfish to actually know what the reason is. We see things in black and white, and evidently assume that the world is continuous process

So, when we die, do you think we just die and that's it. Don't you think that the existence of evil and suffering, both moral and natural evil, and the fact that we have free will show that there must be a hidden reason for so. Why would we have free will if all of us were going to die and that's it. Surely, free will is a 'test'.
Why would we have free will and we have the freedom to kill anyone we like as well as natural disasters killing us freely if life is not a test.

Evidently, you disregarding a divine being is slightly stupid to be honest. It's obvious a divine being is evident as how can we explain the sheer beauty of the world if there is no God. Obviously, we have different conceptions of a 'God' and you would probably assume God would exist if there was no evil and suffering but evil and suffering is a test, an evident obstacle.

Let's say the world was all perfect (and dull) as evil and suffering doesn't exist. How will we develop our qualities? A person withdrawing an obstacle of life(evil and suffering) will help them develop those necessary qualities. But, of course, we have different definitions of evil and suffering as an individual.

God does exist but His nature is ultimately up to you and how you think he is to be.
(edited 7 years ago)

It's all about belief in the unseen, God exists weather you believe it or not. And the whole thing to do with no evidence is to do with having belief. if there was evidence everybody on the face of the earth would be as good as gold and be obedient to god.however the fact that there is no evidence the god exists is part of his plan to test his creation.

I'll give an example when your going down the highway with your car,van,truck whatever you might drive, you hear on the radio, such and such road is blocked due to a crash and you take his word for it and divert from that road you don't ensist on evidence, its belief in the unseen and you wouldn't think why.? Because the man on the radio has no reason to lie.

To me that's these the idea of God he is there to be believed in not to be asked for evidence, God never gave evidence of himself so he can differentiate the believers from people who disbelieve.
Original post by harun_farah
It's all about belief in the unseen, God exists weather you believe it or not. And the whole thing to do with no evidence is to do with having belief. if there was evidence everybody on the face of the earth would be as good as gold and be obedient to god.however the fact that there is no evidence the god exists is part of his plan to test his creation.

I'll give an example when your going down the highway with your car,van,truck whatever you might drive, you hear on the radio, such and such road is blocked due to a crash and you take his word for it and divert from that road you don't ensist on evidence, its belief in the unseen and you wouldn't think why.? Because the man on the radio has no reason to lie.

To me that's these the idea of God he is there to be believed in not to be asked for evidence, God never gave evidence of himself so he can differentiate the believers from people who disbelieve.

Preach, them AS Edexcel Philosophy and Ethics knowledge right there.:biggrin:
Original post by Defraction
There is evidence- look around you. Is it not a sheer fact that a tree has been designed, everything in nature has a purpose and this purpose couldn't have happened by chance. As the famous saying states: "Everything happens for a reason"- a reason that only a divine, transcendent being knows. We, as human beings, are too ignorant and selfish to actually know what the reason is. We see things in black and white, and evidently assume that the world is a continuous.

So, when we die, do you think we just die and that's it. Don't you think that the existence of evil and suffering, both moral and natural evil, and the fact that we have free will show that there must be a hidden reason for so. Why would we have free will if all of us were going to die and that's it. Surely, free will is a 'test'.
Why would we have free will and we have the freedom to kill anyone we like as well as natural disasters killing us freely if life is not a test.

Evidently, you disregarding a divine being is slightly stupid to be honest. It's obvious a divine being is evident as how can we explain the sheer beauty of the world if there is no God. Obviously, we have different conceptions of a 'God' and you would probably assume God would exist if there was no evil and suffering but evil and suffering is a test, an evident obstacle.

Let's say the world was all perfect (and dull) as evil and suffering doesn't exist. How will we develop our qualities? A person withdrawing an obstacle of life(evil and suffering) will help them develop those necessary qualities. But, of course, we have different definitions of evil and suffering as an individual.

God does exist but His nature is ultimately up to you and how you think he is to be.

I'd like to counter your argument even though it wasn't directed at me. Hopefully @davidguettafan doesn't mind.

Yes, I tree has been designed; by many years of trial and error. It didn't happen by chance per say, more by trial and error, and experimentation of different structures over the course of millennia until some structures faded while the ones we see today stayed.

Also, I don't understand how you can transfer a cliche into the concept of the existence of a deity. Its a human construct, to console people of the simple fact anything can happen, and its out of our control. Does not in any way point to a deity.

Yes, I do think that when we die that's it. To the best of my knowledge there doesn't seem to be anything past that. Its the definition of death. Humans are probably the only species that have evolved enough intelligence to be afraid of such a concept, and therefore create the idea of an afterlife to once again console themselves. To create a purpose because they cannot fathom the notion of their lives being meaningless relative to the entirety of space and time.

And I'm can't understand at all your inference of a deity and free will being a test from the existence of 'good' and 'evil'. Why would we have free will and natural disasters if it isn't a test? I don't understand the relation between the two at all, you've lost me there completely.

I think the main reason for your belief is that you cannot grapple with the reality of nature (free will, death, universal grandeur), so you apply a deity and afterlife to the issue to avoid facing the issue. That way you can rest assured that there will be a reckoning for evil, and you'll continue to live on even after you die; eliminating any fear of death.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending