The Student Room Group

University tuition fees set to rise again

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TimmonaPortella

I'm just about okay with the present system, because it is at least possible to pay for your education and be done with it. Removing all limits, however, is mad, and would be maddening to many of the graduates whom we most want to keep in this country.

Removing which limits?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Removing which limits?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The limit of an absolute sum which can actually be repaid, in the case of the imposition of a graduate tax.

Unless I'm missing something?
It is simply unavoidable that there are plenty of people who exist who could have used their degrees to achieve success, but didn't. I'm not going to pay an unbounded amount for my degree while those people are rewarded for their sloth.

Others may have achieved highly at university, and yet chosen to go into a field that pays less. I still don't see why their education should be made retrospectively cheaper on that basis, while financially successful graduates pay endlessly more for theirs.

I'm just about okay with the present system, because it is at least possible to pay for your education and be done with it. Removing all limits, however, is mad, and would be maddening to many of the graduates whom we most want to keep in this country.

It's not endlessly more. There are clear limits on how much you'd pay. Worse case scenario you earn just enough to not have any written off but not enough to pay it off early, under which case you'd end up paying about 14k in interest over the 30 years.
It's also not a case of 'sloth' being rewarded. That's a poisonous attitude.
There's also the fact that low earning degrees generally subsidise STEM subjects that cost a heck of a lot more than 9k a year to teach per student. Swings and roundabouts man.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by pol pot noodles
It's not endlessly more. There are clear limits on how much you'd pay. Worse case scenario you earn just enough to not have any written off but not enough to pay it off early, under which case you'd end up paying about 14k in interest over the 30 years.
It's also not a case of 'sloth' being rewarded. That's a poisonous attitude.
There's also the fact that low earning degrees generally subsidise STEM subjects that cost a heck of a lot more than 9k a year to teach per student. Swings and roundabouts man.

It's an accurate attitude, but I wasn't aware it was limited to be fair. What you've described looks to me more like the present position, and less like something I'd call a 'tax'. I would still be surprised if it didn't involve a shift upwards from the present limits on repayment.

I don't mind subsidy for STEM courses, but it isn't the same thing. It rewards students for choosing to do something that we need people to do, not for earning less money. Everyone has the choice to take a STEM course, and anyway this is largely just a function of the standard fee cap (presumably all courses would be more expensive in a free market, at some universities at least).
The limit of an absolute sum which can actually be repaid, in the case of the imposition of a graduate tax.

Unless I'm missing something?

According to the proposal tuition fees can increase but only in line with inflation and assuming quality standards are being met by the university. It's not unlimited.

(If that's what you mean?)
(edited 7 years ago)
It's not endlessly more. There are clear limits on how much you'd pay.

SLC terms and conditions
The regulations may change from time totime and this means the terms of your loan mayalso change.
https://www.saas.gov.uk/_forms/slc_terms_conditions.pdf page 2
This government has already changed the terms of repayment for 2012 entrants (they froze the minimum income for repayment effectively increasing repayments by £100pa for 80% of graduates (all but the poorest and richest 10%s). That change didn't require amended legislation only to be included as a small paragraph in a budget.

They can and will change the terms of your loans again if it will balance their budget.
This letter is particularly interesting!

Original post by jneill
Tuition fees can only increase in line with inflation, maximum, and assuming quality standards are being met by the university. It's not unlimited.

(If that's what you mean?)

No, I mean that the maximum amount that can presently be repaid by any given graduate is limited by reference to what they paid in the first place (with interest etc), because the matter is dealt with as the repayment of a loan rather than as a tax.

I'm opposed to the idea of a tax because in principle it could remove this limit on what may have to be paid after graduation by any particular graduate, although apparently there have been some proposals which still involve some limits on repayment.
No, I mean that the maximum amount that can presently be repaid by any given graduate is limited by reference to what they paid in the first place (with interest etc), because the matter is dealt with as the repayment of a loan rather than as a tax.

I'm opposed to the idea of a tax because in principle it could remove this limit on what may have to be paid after graduation by any particular graduate, although apparently there have been some proposals which still involve some limits on repayment.

So you are ok with the current repayment regime (and afaik it's unchanged in the white paper).
:yep:
Original post by Incongruous
This letter is particularly interesting!

Interesting indeed - more on it here
http://thetab.com/2016/05/17/george-osborne-13-years-ago-tuition-fees-are-unfair-90379

Although a week is a long time in politics, never mind 13 years...
It's an accurate attitude, but I wasn't aware it was limited to be fair. What you've described looks to me more like the present position, and less like something I'd call a 'tax'. I would still be surprised if it didn't involve a shift upwards from the present limits on repayment.

I don't mind subsidy for STEM courses, but it isn't the same thing. It rewards students for choosing to do something that we need people to do, not for earning less money. Everyone has the choice to take a STEM course, and anyway this is largely just a function of the standard fee cap (presumably all courses would be more expensive in a free market, at some universities at least).

What do you mean? I was describing precisely the present system.
The reward for being a successful graduate is the large pay check. Why do you feel like you should get even more of a 'reward' on top of that, even though you'd be in a position to contribute more?
Original post by jneill
So you are ok with the current repayment regime (and afaik it's unchanged in the white paper).
:yep:

I can tolerate it, yes.

Our argument about the graduate tax was really tangential to the thread, which might have been why it may have been unclear what I was talking about.
The reward for being a successful graduate is the large pay check. Why do you feel like you should get even more of a 'reward' on top of that, even though you'd be in a position to contribute more?

I don't know why that would be, given we've been talking about a graduate tax the whole way through, but, for the reasons you gave, I'm able to put up with the present system.

You're now arguing that not being required to pay an additional tax, on top of all the extra tax you'll be paying anyway, is a 'reward'?

My position is perfectly clear. I am not willing to pay an unbounded extra amount, under a graduate tax regime, for the same service that everyone else received. I do not see why my education should be priced retrospectively higher on the grounds that I've actually made productive use of it.

edit: if your 'reward' comment was aimed at STEM, I've set out my position, but because it's not relevant I'm not willing to get into a long argument about it.
(edited 7 years ago)

From the point of view of society, encouraging more people to do STEM courses is financially beneficial (more STEM people -> larger pool -> (presumably) more talent -> lower wages). Hence, this reward acts encouragement.
I don't know why that would be, given we've been talking about a graduate tax the whole way through, but, for the reasons you gave, I'm able to put up with the present system.

You're now arguing that not being required to pay an additional tax, on top of all the extra tax you'll be paying anyway, is a 'reward'?

My position is perfectly clear. I am not willing to pay an unbounded extra amount, under a graduate tax regime, for the same service that everyone else received. I do not see why my education should be priced retrospectively higher on the grounds that I've actually made productive use of it.

edit: if your 'reward' comment was aimed at STEM, I've set out my position, but because it's not relevant I'm not willing to get into a long argument about it.

I think there's been a misunderstanding. I thought you were arguing against the current system.
As for a graduate tax, I don't see how that would be any different from any other tax, in that those who earn more nominally pay more nominally. It wouldn't even be tiered. The proposal considered was a 3% flat rate.
Original post by Airmed
I think it is ridiculous, imo. Instead of upping the fees, why can't they bring back the caps on the amount of students universities can accept?

Because they are neocons = neoliberal conservatives of the worst order.
Original post by ComputerMaths97
Obviously I will. The debt is insignificant compared the the experience, knowledge gained, career opportunities expanded and the pay increases acquired from going to a decent Uni as opposed to not going. Not everything is about money. Paying back a few % of my salary, for the cause that got me that salary, doesn't exactly seem unfair to me.

Like I said, wait until you've graduated. Opinions change. It's incredibly naive to think you're going to walk out of uni and straight into a decent job just because you "worked hard". The real world doesn't work like that, but the Tories thrive by convincing poor people like you that one day you'll be rich, just like them, if you just "work hard". I can empathise with you, because I used to have the same naive views.
The very simple fact is that skilled graduates bring more money into the country than it costs to educate them. We have a research and service based economy, where we need skilled workers. Right now immigrants are holding our economy up for us because British natives don't have the skills that we need. We need MORE graduates, they're a huge boost to our economy, and we shouldn't have hard-working, bright young people being put off because we don't want to pay to fix our shitty country.
Original post by JordanL_
Like I said, wait until you've graduated. Opinions change. It's incredibly naive to think you're going to walk out of uni and straight into a decent job just because you "worked hard". The real world doesn't work like that, but the Tories thrive by convincing poor people like you that one day you'll be rich, just like them, if you just "work hard". I can empathise with you, because I used to have the same naive views.

Just because I "worked hard" is exactly the reason I'll have a high paid job unless I suddenly become stupid or suddenly stop working hard. If I only ended up with a decent job I'd be dissapointed, maybe where we're different is how high we each aim.
Original post by bob5124
Graduates still pay off the cost of their degree multiple times over due to the extra tax, so you have absolutely no case. There is no net loss due to funding education.

Their motivation is not relevant. All that is relevant is that it is paid for multiple times over, over the course of the graduates life due to the higher income (which means there was no loss for the government), and any research produced benefits the country as a whole. I'm sorry if you think that there is no benefit to educating a population above GCSE level, but this is simply not true.

Irrelevant. Higher education still pays for itself many times over.

I never said that there is a net loss. I said that your tax revenue as a result of your now higher income is likely to be very irrelevant in terms of its effect on the entire economy. This was in response to someone saying it benefits society more.

Sorry if I don't think studying communications at university is going to help society.

Anyways, the main issue here is WHY should the government pay? It is just like buying groceries. YOU benefit most from the investment. Besides, if hardly anyone is being deterred from having to pay then what is the issue? If someone suddenly decides to not go university because the fees increase, I think that is their issue that they cannot see how much of a difference education can have on their future income. Even if fees increased to say 15000, that means you will be in 45K min debt compared to 27. This in the long run over your career will quite insignificant (if you even pay it back).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending