The Student Room Group

Geography OCR AS 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alice_98
what case studies/ examples would you use for that essay question?

For coasts I would talk about spits,bars and tombola's with the case study of Hurst castle spit in Hampshire. You can also talk about drift and swash aligned beaches with and example for each.I think this would be a very hard essay as there is not much you can talk about
Did anyone else find it very hard? Seemed harder than all the past papers I've done...
Original post by MylesMor
Did anyone else find it very hard? Seemed harder than all the past papers I've done...

Yeah was the hardest paper I've done in a while
Original post by MaxHubbard
Yeah was the hardest paper I've done in a while

A lot of people from my school thought the same way. Hopefully the grade boundary is lower or the human paper is easier to gain the extra marks lost.
the coasts essay was atrocious, think I definitely messed up.
Original post by LivKennedy

SAFE, I thought the same
Original post by MaxHubbard
SAFE, I thought the same

I started planning for it as if it was asking me how developed areas are managed, then I realised nope. so just ended up writing anything I could think of😱 but I'm glad you feel the same haha!
I started planning for it as if it was asking me how developed areas are managed, then I realised nope. so just ended up writing anything I could think of😱 but I'm glad you feel the same haha!

If you wrote anything to do with that you probably got a few marks, as long as you concluded linking to why they are managed like that :smile:
Original post by htrowslec
If you wrote anything to do with that you probably got a few marks, as long as you concluded linking to why they are managed like that :smile:

A lot of mine was why do different developed coast have different coastal protection methods! Like economic developed etc is that wrong was it just conflicts management?
Original post by Saaam1234
A lot of mine was why do different developed coast have different coastal protection methods! Like economic developed etc is that wrong was it just conflicts management?

I hope not, because that's what I did ahaha. it was the need for management, so as long as you concluded you should get at least 17, meaning if you got 17 on the other questions as well you got at least a B
I ended up saying that touristy places needed more management of development because environmental problems might occur, therefore it would have a knock on effect of economic problems of tourism loss (cos tourists are there for the environment) if I manage to get 17 I'd be over the moon!
I ended up saying that touristy places needed more management of development because environmental problems might occur, therefore it would have a knock on effect of economic problems of tourism loss (cos tourists are there for the environment) if I manage to get 17 I'd be over the moon!

Thats what I wrote as well and I've heard a lot of people from my school wrote the same thing. Also I think writing about coastal protection is wrong as it said the needs for economic management, which doesn't really involve protection.
The fauna question in arid/cold: No one in my school, including I, taking the exam knew that fauna referred to animals not plants. So we all wrote a lovely answer for plants ,only realizing it meant animals when we left the exam. Was it just my school having a dumbdumb moment?
[QUOTE=MaxHubbard;64882435]Thats what I wrote as well and I've heard a lot of people from my school wrote the same thing. Also I think writing about coastal protection is wrong as it said the needs for economic management, which doesn't really involve protection.

okay good so hopefully we've got some marks😂
Reply 34
Original post by LillyCT99
The fauna question in arid/cold: No one in my school, including I, taking the exam knew that fauna referred to animals not plants. So we all wrote a lovely answer for plants ,only realizing it meant animals when we left the exam. Was it just my school having a dumbdumb moment?

Loads st my school did that. The re sit numbers will be redic
Original post by jinzy
Loads st my school did that. The re sit numbers will be redic

Apparently my head of geography is complaining about the wording because fauna/flora is apparently not worded on the spec. Idk, it really disheartened me when I found out.

And oh'lord I felt so sorry for the year 13's re-sitting it with us.
I'm a year 13 and sat it for the first time (Long story short I messed up my AS Levels)
I found it ok, some of the questions were worded oddly though :/

I did Section A : Rivers (9 Marker Was Hard imo just because it's a specific multi use question)
Cold (Gift of a 9 mark question)

Section B : Arid ( What a horrible 25 mark question, never seen one like this in my life) I waffled on about:

- Arches NP (Tourism)
- Valley of the kings (Tourism)
- China (Desertification and arable agriculture)

Not a nice paper at all, boundaries will be around (53 = A , 32 = E)
image.png 😂
Reply 38

:frown:
Quite a few people in my school thought fauna referred to plants as well, or didn't really know and just guessed. Glad we're not the only ones.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending