The Student Room Group

Detailed discussion of IGCSE Biology Edexcel paper 1.

Let's see what everyone wrote:s-smilie:o for what's present in plant but not animal cells: vacuole, chloroplasts & cell wall

I completely failed the labelling the neurone diagram. They gave you sensory. I wrote receptor first, second was sensory, then I wrote CNS for the third and response muscle last, LOL.

I wrote for the fish and meat graph that fish and meat production both increased (then I said by how much) but I said meat production had fluctuations e.g. Increased then dropped between 2010-2012.

I think for suggest why co2 levels dropped I said because countries introduced carbon credit to reduce the co2, industries are being more sustainable and trees are being planted (lol).

Then for the natural selection I said the white snails had a selective advantage so there was a selective pressure to breed with them so that the offspring get the best alleles. I also said that eventually the snail population will be mainly white.

For the 6 marker I said get 6 eggs, place them all in the same amount of solution. Place egg1 at 0 degrees, egg 2 at 20, egg 3 at 40 etc until 100 degrees. Then wait 3 days and see the best one.

For the eye labels: iris, pupil

Eye roles: optic nerve, cornea and sclera

For the which parent determines the baby gender: male because the baby will either inherit the Y chromosome or not

For the vagina label: I put vagina wall, ligament, ovaries and uterus lining

For the how does meiosis differ from mitosis: meiosis produces 4 cells, divides twice, one chromosome ends up in each daughter cell for variation, and sex cells are produced

For the calculation at the beginning: 0.9/120 = 0.0075

I wrote sulphur oxide not sulphur dioxide -.- I'm dumb

For why it's good to reduce greenhouse gases:-global temp won't rise
-polar ice caps less melting
-less rise of sea level
-less changes need to be made to agricultural practices
-warm water won't be redirected to previously cooler areas
-rainfall patterns won't change

Anything else?? xxx
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by gameofno
Let's see what everyone wrote:s-smilie:o for what's present in plant but not animal cells: vacuole, chloroplasts & cell wall

I completely failed the labelling the neurone diagram. They gave you sensory. I wrote receptor first, second was sensory, then I wrote CNS for the third and response muscle last, LOL.

I wrote for the fish and meat graph that fish and meat production both increased (then I said by how much) but I said meat production had fluctuations e.g. Increased then dropped between 2010-2012.

I think for suggest why co2 levels dropped I said because countries introduced carbon credit to reduce the co2, industries are being more sustainable and trees are being planted (lol).

Then for the natural selection I said the white snails had a selective advantage so there was a selective pressure to breed with them so that the offspring get the best alleles. I also said that eventually the snail population will be mainly white.

For the 6 marker I said get 6 eggs, place them all in the same amount of solution. Place egg1 at 0 degrees, egg 2 at 20, egg 3 at 40 etc until 100 degrees. Then wait 3 days and see the best one.

For the eye labels: iris, pupil

Eye roles: optic nerve, cornea and sclera

For the which parent determines the baby gender: male because the baby will either inherit the Y chromosome or not

For the vagina label: I put vagina wall, ligament, ovaries and uterus lining

For the how does meiosis differ from mitosis: meiosis produces 4 cells, divides twice, one chromosome ends up in each daughter cell for variation, and sex cells are produced

For the calculation at the beginning: 0.9/120 = 0.0075

I wrote sulphur oxide not sulphur dioxide -.- I'm dumb

For why it's good to reduce greenhouse gases:-global temp won't rise
-polar ice caps less melting
-less rise of sea level
-less changes need to be made to agricultural practices
-warm water won't be redirected to previously cooler areas
-rainfall patterns won't change

Anything else?? xxx

hey what neurone diagram are you reffering to was there a question aasking you to label a neurone and how many marks was it
Reply 2
Original post by robin567
hey what neurone diagram are you reffering to was there a question aasking you to label a neurone and how many marks was it

One at the beginning and it was 4 marks x
Reply 3
Original post by gameofno
One at the beginning and it was 4 marks x

i wrote stimulus
sensory neurone
relay neurone
motor meurone
effector
that is correct right
Reply 4
Original post by robin567
i wrote stimulus
sensory neurone
relay neurone
motor meurone
effector
that is correct right

I think so
Is response instead of effector ok?
Reply 6
What did you put for the 4th last question, on why natural contraception is unreliable?
Original post by iah1700
Is response instead of effector ok?

there different
Reply 8
Original post by escg
What did you put for the 4th last question, on why natural contraception is unreliable?

I said because an egg may be released at random cause hormones can fluctuate so if she has sexual intercourse there is a chance that an egg is present and can be fertilised

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending