The Student Room Group

From Dropout to Cambridge

I got a D all C's and a B at GCSE and I plan to do two GCSE's so I can go to college and do A levels.

I've been a drop out for 5 years do you think I can make it into Cambridge?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've had a similar background (although far less severe) - I dropped out from school a year or two ago and I've currently got an offer from King's College for Maths. So yes, it's definitely possible.
Have more self belief, because seeking reassurance from TSR is going to give you mixed answers.
Reply 3
The college I was at enrolled lots of mature students (there was a 60 year old in one class). One of them got to cambridge. I'm assuming they didn't have stellar gcse's but did very well at A Level.
Reply 4
That's interesting what did you doc when you dropped out? I just signed on I'm self confessed lazy and will hopefully buck the trend and get motivated this year.

I dont care about whether people say I can or not get in I just want some good advice on how to get motivated.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Exceptional
Have more self belief, because seeking reassurance from TSR is going to give you mixed answers.

Original post by thad33
The college I was at enrolled lots of mature students (there was a 60 year old in one class). One of them got to cambridge. I'm assuming they didn't have stellar gcse's but did very well at A Level.

as above sorry I forgot to quote in my post above.
Reply 6
Original post by thad33

Really that's interesting so you think its possible though you dont know about what work experience he had because that might be a factor.
Original post by N-R-G
That's interesting what did you doc when you dropped out? I just signed on I'm self confessed lazy and will hopefully buck the trend and get motivated this year.

I dont care about whether people say I can or not get in I just want some good advice on how to get motivated.

If that is the case, why did you not pose that question initially rather than the one you actually asked?

Original post by N-R-G
I got a D all C's and a B at GCSE and I plan to do two GCSE's so I can go to college and do A levels.

I've been a drop out for 5 years do you think I can make it into Cambridge?
Reply 8
Original post by Zacken
I've had a similar background (although far less severe) - I dropped out from school a year or two ago and I've currently got an offer from King's College for Maths. So yes, it's definitely possible.

What are your GCSE and A-Level grades if you don't mind my asking?
Reply 9
Original post by hilrho
What are your GCSE and A-Level grades if you don't mind my asking?

In lieu of repeating myself, I hope you don't mind if I link you to this. :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Zacken
In lieu of repeating myself, I hope you don't mind if I link you to this. :smile:

Amazing story though I'm afraid its not going to be so easy for me.
Received 8 C's at GCSE last year. Did not want to study at all, thought university was a waste of money. Was given a last chance by my parents to re-invent my self during AS levels.

Achieved AAAA at AS, and have an A*AA prediction for A2 Levels, along side with poor GCSE results. Got an offer from my dream uni, being Warwick. So yes, I am your evidence that it is possible.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by glebp
Received 8 C's at GCSE last year. Did not want to study at all, thought university was a waste of money. Was given a last chance by my parents to re-invent my self during AS levels.

Achieved AAAA at AS, and have an A*AA prediction for A2 Levels, along side with poor GCSE results. Got an offer from my dream uni, being Warwick. So yes, I am your evidence that it is possible.

Truly inspirational what got you motivated to go for it in such a big way? Any tips?
Original post by Zacken

Spoiler

Reply 14
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes

Spoiler

You're right everything he's done has been a success. He'll feel the pain one day ! Grrrr!
Original post by Thomb
You're right everything he's done has been a success. He'll feel the pain one day ! Grrrr!

7A*'s without even trying a little bit just goes to show he hasn't failed.
Reply 16
7A*'s without even trying a little bit just goes to show he hasn't failed.

7A*'s without trying is ridiculous?
Original post by Thomb
7A*'s without trying is ridiculous?

Yes, especially if you doodled on your page for half the exam!!
Reply 18
Yes, especially if you doodled on your page for half the exam!!

I know it doesn't seem real LoL :biggrin: You know what its like for these maths geniuses though everything is a piece of cake. Snot fair.
Original post by Thomb
I know it doesn't seem real LoL :biggrin: You know what its like for these maths geniuses though everything is a piece of cake. Snot fair.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending