The Student Room Group

IGCSE Edexcel Biology May 17th 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by architecture901
I put cornea too. Is it wrong?

No clue :/ some people are saying lens
When I turned the page and saw a fill in the blanks question, I rejoiced thinking I'd get a free 10 marks.... Boy was I wrong.
Original post by Abodee1
What was the two variables ? I wrote the age of kids and their mass?!!

I put temperature of room and amount of time exercised :s-smilie::s-smilie:
Original post by gameofno
No clue :/ some people are saying lens

I THINK cornea is right... the lense is underneath the cornea and was the answer to the second or third box I THINK....
Original post by chumzy99
I put temperature of room and amount of time exercised :s-smilie::s-smilie:

I'm pretty sure the amount of time was specified (one minute)
tell me about it bruv
Original post by LewisP123
amount of exercise (time), and type of exercise. (eg pushups etc..)

I believe they would have also accepted Age of children but not sure about mass XD

Not sure about the time as that was already stated in the question.
Original post by T2OM
0.75 is correct i asked my biology teacher she said you were supposed to do it to the 2 significant figures because in the question there was 2sf.

0.75 is not 0.0075 to 2sf.

0.0075 is the right answer because it is in metres per second.
The distance given was 90 CM which is 0.9 M.

So the calculation required would be 0.9 divided by 120 to make 0.0075.
Original post by whyohwhyohwhy
I'm pretty sure the amount of time was specified (one minute)

Even though the amount of time was specified, it didn't say you couldn't include this in your answer. Usually it would say 'Other than the amount of time exercised, what two other variables need to be kept the same?' but it didn't so people may get away with that.

I also said same age of child.
Original post by LewisP123
I THINK cornea is right... the lense is underneath the cornea and was the answer to the second or third box I THINK....

No it was the lens because the lens focuses light onto the retina, whereas the cornea refracts light onto the retina. The description was 'focuses light onto retina'.
Original post by dRaGoN2509
No it was the lens because the lens focuses light onto the retina, whereas the cornea refracts light onto the retina. The description was 'focuses light onto retina'.

yeah answers for eye question were sclera lens and optic nerve
Original post by HKHASSAN
0.75 is not 0.0075 to 2sf.

0.0075 is the right answer because it is in metres per second.
The distance given was 90 CM which is 0.9 M.

So the calculation required would be 0.9 divided by 120 to make 0.0075.

This is correct.

Furthermore, Many students I've spoke too write down the fraction 3/400 as their answer, which would also be acceptable in this situation as it was such a small number.
Original post by JackCollard
Even though the amount of time was specified, it didn't say you couldn't include this in your answer. Usually it would say 'Other than the amount of time exercised, what two other variables need to be kept the same?' but it didn't so people may get away with that.

I also said same age of child.

I put temperature and the moisture of air in the area (specific I know but I didnt think of the obvious ones). Think I could get 2 for that?
Original post by Year11Struggles
There are definitley more than two options available.
I wrote temperature of the room and age

I am sure that temperature is one of them because if a room is cold you automatically respire more to increase internal temperature. Not sure about age.

actually temperature doesn't affect it so much because when you exercise you generate heat by respiration so actually you would want to decrease you core body temperature which doesn't require an increase in heart rate

age is right
also intensity of excercise?
btw it's sclera
also the anomaly is thomas
Original post by Spinal tap
I put temperature and the moisture of air in the area (specific I know but I didnt think of the obvious ones). Think I could get 2 for that?

I think you would get 0/2 for that.

The question was about HEART rate.

Temperature and moisture do not affect HEART rate at all so they would not need to be controlled.

Moisture in the air isn't necessarily going to directly effect heart rate. It could do in a very minor way due to sweating and increased respiration, However it would seem to be a push for that mark.

you get 1 if lucky...
[QUOTE="Zedong;64886115" Mao="Mao"]actually temperature doesn't affect it so much because when you exercise you generate heat by respiration so actually you would want to decrease you core body temperature which doesn't require an increase in heart rate

age is right
also intensity of excercise?
btw it's sclera
also the anomaly is thomas[/QUOTE

Love this reply :proud:
For the CORMS question in Paper 1B I thought it was like this:

C: Have a range of different temperatures (eg 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40oC)
O: Ensure all eggs are taken from the same animal
R: Repeat the experiment 5 times for each temperature
M: Count how many out of the five eggs survived the nutrient solution at whatever temperature they were at
S: Keep the volume of nutrient solution consistent with every experiment and keep the number of eggs in each test tube/petri dish consistent.

Conclusive statement: The best storage temperature will be the one where, on average, most eggs survive.

Would I get the 6 marks?
Original post by Year11Struggles
There are definitley more than two options available.
I wrote temperature of the room and age

I am sure that temperature is one of them because if a room is cold you automatically respire more to increase internal temperature. Not sure about age.

**** I must've misread the question thinking it was just about running. I said distance ran and speed at which they ran it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending