The Student Room Group

How difficult is it to get 60% in an EU Law exam?

I have one next week and I need a minimum of 60% or I lose my placement :angry:.

Any advice will be very much appreciated. And I mean this, when I get my results in June if I get 60%, I will message and Paypal £10 to the person who gives me the best advice :colondollar:.

Help!What kind of things do I need to do to get a minimum of 60%,
The exam is comprised of 3 essays (there is about 7 but you MUST answer 3) all worth 33.3% each.So, I am looking at needing at least 60% in every essay.

Thanks for your help! :colone:
Reply 1
Create essay plans. If you've been told what topics are going to come up, do at least four. Try to make them broad in case the question asks you to focus on a specific area or just a general overview of a topic.

Know your case law inside out. You won't get marks for facts but it will help you massively in understanding the principles. I always try to make links between case names and some of the facts.

You can always get extra points for critical analysis. Try to find some journal articles, consultation reports etc on the exam topics and pluck a few advantages and criticisms for as many areas as possible. Even just a sentence can make a massive difference in the quality of an essay.

Split your time accordingly. If you come to the end of the allotted time for one question, move on and come back if you have time. You're far more likely to pick up more marks starting that next question then you are finishing the one you're on.

I adopted this method and got 72% in my EU exam. Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by Hann95
Create essay plans. If you've been told what topics are going to come up, do at least four. Try to make them broad in case the question asks you to focus on a specific area or just a general overview of a topic.

Know your case law inside out. You won't get marks for facts but it will help you massively in understanding the principles. I always try to make links between case names and some of the facts.

You can always get extra points for critical analysis. Try to find some journal articles, consultation reports etc on the exam topics and pluck a few advantages and criticisms for as many areas as possible. Even just a sentence can make a massive difference in the quality of an essay.

Split your time accordingly. If you come to the end of the allotted time for one question, move on and come back if you have time. You're far more likely to pick up more marks starting that next question then you are finishing the one you're on.

I adopted this method and got 72% in my EU exam. Good luck!

Thank-you so much for your response! Those are all very good ideas - I will do all of that, and hopefully.. let you know how it went :P.

Thanks again!
Original post by SadShark
I have one next week and I need a minimum of 60% or I lose my placement :angry:.

Any advice will be very much appreciated. And I mean this, when I get my results in June if I get 60%, I will message and Paypal £10 to the person who gives me the best advice :colondollar:.

The exam is comprised of 3 essays (there is about 7 but you MUST answer 3) all worth 33.3% each.So, I am looking at needing at least 60% in every essay.

Will they be essay style questions or problem solving ones ? mine consisted of mostly problem questions on free movement of goods, people and competition law.

You can find really useful flow charts online which take you through the steps for the different types of law. For example there are really good flow charts on breaches of articles 101 & 102 TFEU for competition law by simply typing in 'EU competition law flow chart'.

A well structured answer will receive good praise from an examiner.
Original post by evalilyXOX
Will they be essay style questions or problem solving ones ? mine consisted of mostly problem questions on free movement of goods, people and competition law.

You can find really useful flow charts online which take you through the steps for the different types of law. For example there are really good flow charts on breaches of articles 101 & 102 TFEU for competition law by simply typing in 'EU competition law flow chart'.

A well structured answer will receive good praise from an examiner.

Which one would you recommend doing? Would essay-style questions be supposedly easier to score higher? The thing is that it is generally hard to cover most of the issues in problem questions and that might result in a loss of potential marks to boost up your grade.

Thanks for the flow chart suggestion though!
Original post by zero_gravity
Which one would you recommend doing? Would essay-style questions be supposedly easier to score higher? The thing is that it is generally hard to cover most of the issues in problem questions and that might result in a loss of potential marks to boost up your grade.

Thanks for the flow chart suggestion though!

I mean it really depends what you personally prefer, and also how much time you are given to answer questions in the exam.

In mine we had an hour per question (for other exams it is 40 mins), so i was able to complete the problem question comfortably within the time given.

I personally prefer problem questions as I feel with an essay question I tend to ramble on and it sometimes doesn't read well.
Whereas a problem question is more methodical and so I can write more concise.

I don't know about other unis, but I have heard from people at mine that they can mark essay questions harsher than problem answers.
Reply 6
Original post by evalilyXOX
I mean it really depends what you personally prefer, and also how much time you are given to answer questions in the exam.

In mine we had an hour per question (for other exams it is 40 mins), so i was able to complete the problem question comfortably within the time given.

I personally prefer problem questions as I feel with an essay question I tend to ramble on and it sometimes doesn't read well.
Whereas a problem question is more methodical and so I can write more concise.

I don't know about other unis, but I have heard from people at mine that they can mark essay questions harsher than problem answers.

Do you think it is easier to achieve a higher grade with problem questions then?
My exam is 2 hours 30 minutes, I'm thinking of learning the answer plans to 3 problem questions and just answering those.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you think it is easier to achieve a higher grade with problem questions then?
My exam is 2 hours 30 minutes, I'm thinking of learning the answer plans to 3 problem questions and just answering those.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would have said that it is easier to achieve a higher mark with a problem question, but then if you are better at essay style questions then do what you are better at.

See you might get a problem question on the day that you hate so I wouldn't go in with the mindset of only answering problem questions.

As long as you know the course material, pick questions that you believe you could answer best, dont pick it just because it is a problem/essay question

What did you get? I got 65% in my EU lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending