The Student Room Group

National 5 Chemistry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ethan100
If you get 15/20 in section 1 and 15/20 in Assignment, that's 30% overall. Last year, for a C grade it was 48 percent so If you got 20/60 in section 2, then you would get 50% overall.

Is a d a pass if so what percentage would i need for a d?
Original post by Aston177
Is a d a pass if so what percentage would i need for a d?

Last year the D grade for National 5 chemistry was 43%
So presuming you get 15/20 In section 1 and 15/20 in the assignment then you would need 13/60 in section 2, to get bang on 43%. I would recommend looking at unit 1 on bitesize and reading about each section, you will be able to pick up a lot of marks from that. Good Luck ! :smile:
When drawing the repeating unit of a polymer do you have to put square brackets around it ?

My tracher told me to always do this as you may get a fussy examiner
Original post by Emmaj2000
My tracher told me to always do this as you may get a fussy examiner

Okay Emma, thanks
Might as well do it because I have nothing to lose :smile:
you don't have to put the brackets around it to get the marks, as in last years paper all you had to do was to make sure that the carbon lines were extended from the diagram, but just to make sure you get the marks I would do it anyway as the sqa are weird and might change their minds for this year
What qualification is equivalent to National 5 ? I want to do some more past papers
(edited 7 years ago)
What qualification is equivalent to National 5 ? I want to do some more past papers

If you ask me, you don't want to be doing INT 2 papers right now. It may have things that the NAT 5 course has, but it will definitely contain questions in which may confuse you and worry you.
Original post by SocialStudiesETC
If you ask me, you don't want to be doing INT 2 papers right now. It may have things that the NAT 5 course has, but it will definitely contain questions in which may confuse you and worry you.

Yeah national 5 course has changed slightly than intermidate 2, they have extracted some of the things from int 2 papers which aren't in the national 5 paper..
Please help I'm reading notes on bbc bitesize then looking at past papers and not having a clue how to answer the questions
Who is scared for the exam tomorrow? Tbh I'm only scared for the open ended questions cause I don't know what will come up and my knowledge of chemistry isn't very good
Well our Chemistry exam is tomorrow I am sure we will all be fine just go in there and do your very best:smile:
how do you do a question which says "which of the following oxides,when shaken with water, would leave the ph unchanged"
a) carbon dioxide
b)copper oxide
c)sodium oxide
d)sulphur dioxide
Reply 212

INT 2 and SG Credit. Somethings can be done and some not, However this site tells you what can and cannot be done all whilst giving you links to 3 Credit papers and 3 Int 2 papers

http://www.npfs.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/nutshells_revision_N5_chemistry.pdf

Enjoy :-)

Original post by Sweet_Candy
Who is scared for the exam tomorrow? Tbh I'm only scared for the open ended questions cause I don't know what will come up and my knowledge of chemistry isn't very good

I'm scared for the open ended questions as well. I think I'll be alright if they give me something to do with nuclear radiation. However I'm still caution, I was confident for the maths exam and well... We all saw what happened :/

Original post by studyranger
Well our Chemistry exam is tomorrow I am sure we will all be fine just go in there and do your very best:smile:

Hopefully :biggrin:
Reply 213
Original post by 7894561230
how do you do a question which says "which of the following oxides,when shaken with water, would leave the ph unchanged"
a) carbon dioxide
b)copper oxide
c)sodium oxide
d)sulphur dioxide

Check the data book for these:

It's asking you which one will leave the pH unchanged when shaken with water i.e which one is insoulble. Go to the one of the back pages and look for the one that's insoluble.
Any predictions of what you think the open-ended questions will be ?
the open ended questions don't really matter that much anyway
Right now, it wouldn't hurt just to look through the 2014/2015/specimen paper to see the layout of the papers and what's in them. One note I have made is that there have been two open-ended questions in all of the papers. However, I'm not hedging my bet right now because in English, Biology and Maths the papers have been of a different layout to previous papers.For example, set text in English (for Tally's Blood) always went along the lines of Q1 - 4 marks/Q2 - 4 marks/Q3 - 2 marks/Q4 2 marks/Q5 8 marks This year it was four marks for all but the eight markerBiology had a lot more problem-solving questions than of previous years and was rather specific, contrasting the 2015 paper.Maths... Well, I'd rather not be the cause of a war.
was biology hard ?
Reply 218
Any predictions of what you think the open-ended questions will be ?

Nuclear Radiation will be one of them I think. The other one.. God knows best lol.

Original post by SocialStudiesETC
Right now, it wouldn't hurt just to look through the 2014/2015/specimen paper to see the layout of the papers and what's in them. One note I have made is that there have been two open-ended questions in all of the papers. However, I'm not hedging my bet right now because in English, Biology and Maths the papers have been of a different layout to previous papers.For example, set text in English (for Tally's Blood) always went along the lines of Q1 - 4 marks/Q2 - 4 marks/Q3 - 2 marks/Q4 2 marks/Q5 8 marks This year it was four marks for all but the eight markerBiology had a lot more problem-solving questions than of previous years and was rather specific, contrasting the 2015 paper.Maths... Well, I'd rather not be the cause of a war.

There are always two open ended question in Chemistry and Physics. I've noticed the first question in paper 2 is usually a rate of reaction one.

Paper 1 is a bit unpredictable.
Original post by Jay431
Nuclear Radiation will be one of them I think. The other one.. God knows best lol.

There are always two open ended question in Chemistry and Physics. I've noticed the first question in paper 2 is usually a rate of reaction one.

Paper 1 is a bit unpredictable.

Wouldn't mind a nuclear one, hard to go off it tbh if you put your brain to it! Yeah, first question is usually rate of reaction. I always make stupid mistakes on them admittedly

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending