The Student Room Group

AQA A2 MFP3 Further Pure 3 – 18th May 2016 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xxswagmasterxx
i will try to condense the polarquestions from legacy papers after 5 pm, tell me if anyone is interested

me pleaseee :smile:
Polar.jpg
sorry, I didn't have pdf tools so it's in jpeg
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by XxswagmasterxX
Polar.jpg
sorry, I didn't have pdf tools so it's in jpeg

<3 Thank you, is there anyway you could send a better quality version?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JPencil
<3 Thank you, is there anyway you could send a better quality version?

Posted from TSR Mobile

the quality is decent when i press on it, does it not work for you? I dont reallt know how to upload otherwise
For limits questions, do people use "+..." or "+O(x)" ? Not sure which one i should use or if i should state what O(x) means.
Original post by Qcomber
For limits questions, do people use "+..." or "+O(x)" ? Not sure which one i should use or if i should state what O(x) means.

can you give an example?
Original post by Qcomber

I normally put O(x^n) where n is whatever the degree of next term in sequence is.
Original post by Qcomber

I use o(x)
I've seen it in mark scheme and also TeeEm's workbook. Tbh even if the examiner doesn't know the notation it should be quite obvious
Original post by C0balt
I use o(x)
I've seen it in mark scheme and also TeeEm's workbook. Tbh even if the examiner doesn't know the notation it should be quite obvious

Yeah I do this too (having seen it used in the mark schemes all the time). Although for people using 'O', that's wrong. It should be a little 'o': it's officially called 'little o notation' and there is in fact another thing called 'big o notation'.
(edited 7 years ago)
Written solutions Swag master?
Just to clarify the above.

Big O (f(x)=O(g(x))f(x) = O(g(x)) is: for at least one choice of a constant k>0k > 0, there exists some constant aa such that the inequality f(x)kg(x)f(x) \leq k g(x) holds for all xax \geq a.

Small o (f(x)=o(g(x)f(x) = o(g(x)) is: for every choice of a constant k>0k>0, you can find a constant aa such that the inequality f(x)kg(x)f(x) \leq kg(x) for all xax \geq a.

Note that both O and o are sets and that the above should be written with absolute values in the relevant inequalities but it looks ugly, so I'm leaving them out.
Original post by XxswagmasterxX
I think he meant it as a joke the second time

Hey, where's that worksheet? :biggrin:
Original post by C0balt
I use o(x)

But we can use '+...' right?
Has Euler's identity been used in a paper yet? What sort of question could we expect it appear in?

I've only seen it being mentioned in the FP3 textbook but never any actual questions on it in papers.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by IrrationalRoot
Yeah I do this too (having seen it used in the mark schemes all the time). Although for people using 'O', that's wrong. It should be a little 'o': it's officially called 'little o notation' and there is in fact another thing called 'big o notation'.

Haha thanks I will make sure my o's are small.
Original post by JME_CHG
But we can use '+...' right?

Ofc
Original post by Anonymoose12
Has Euler's identity been used in a paper yet? What sort of question could we expect it appear in?

I've only seen it being proven in the FP3 textbook but never any actual questions on it.

The way it's mentioned in the spec sounds as thought we only need to know what h k1 etc all mean and be able to use the formulae
Original post by C0balt
Ofc

The way it's mentioned in the spec sounds as thought we only need to know what h k1 etc all mean and be able to use the formulae

Alright, cool. I was worried it would end up being a suprise question 7 that everyone ends up flopping. Right in between the 14 mark polar co-ordinate question 6 and the 16 mark polar co-ordinate question 8.
Could anyone explain Q8bii? Tried sine rule but I think it's the ambiguous case which then confuses things

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-MFP3-QP-JUN14.PDF
Polar.jpg the worksheet, sorry if the quality is bad
Original post by Rabadon
Could anyone explain Q8bii? Tried sine rule but I think it's the ambiguous case which then confuses things

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-MFP3-QP-JUN14.PDF

There are several ways (I think like 4) to do this question but i think using sine rule is the easiest
13223647_992694760820927_439652959_o.jpg where K is (pi - pi/6 - alpha)
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending