The Student Room Group

GCSE CORE SCIENCE B1 C1 P1 Exams 2016 {OFFICIAL THREAD} EDEXCEL ONLY

Scroll to see replies

The two six markers were a godsend. I had to look to make sure i wasnt doing a foundation paper, it was that easy.
Original post by blizza15
well i need help on hydrocarbons and polymers also the ways of disposing polymers (this is chemistry BTW) and rocks

What would you like to know about hydrocarbons and polymers?

Rocks: There are three types of rock: sedimentary, igneous and metamorphic.

Sedimentary rock are formed when sediment (such as calcium carbonate shells from marine organisms) fall to the bottom of sea beds. Over millions of years, these sediments are compacted and buried under more and more layers of sediment. This forms sedimentary rock. They erode easily, and may contain fossils. Examples include: chalk and limestone.

Igneous rocks are formed as a result of lava or magma solidifying. Igneous rocks contain crystals, however the size of the crystals depend on whether the rock has cooled intrusively (beneath the surface of the earth) or extrusively above the surface of the earth). If the rock contains small crystals, it has cooled extrusively. If the rock has larger crystals, it has cooled intrusively. Examples of igneous rocks include basalt (which have small crystals as a result of extrusive cooling) and granite (which have larger crystals as a result of intrusive cooling).

Metamorphic rocks are formed from existing rocks by the action of heat and/or pressure. They cause new interlocking crystals to grow. An example of this is marble - formed from chalk.)

------------------------
For ways of disposing polymers, its more about discussing advantages and disadvantages.

However, you can dispose of polymers by landfill sites, burning or recycling. Biodegradable polymers are also being developed.

For disposing of polymers via landfill sites: this is not sustainable, because polymers are simply not biodegradable. They last for years and take up space on landfill sites.

Burning of polymers is also unsustainable, because they release toxic gases when they burn.

Recycling of polymers is, however, sustainable because you melt/break down polymers and make new objects.

Hop this helps a little. :smile:
Didnt get the malaria and sickle cell garbage.
Original post by wahedi01
Didnt get the malaria and sickle cell garbage.

I came back to it towards the end and guessed that it was an adaptation that humans in countries with malaria had to help them survive and reproduce (as catching malaria can be deadly). The problem is I didn't word it as well as that, so if that is the answer, I won't get 3/3 for it. Oh well. It was a nasty question.
Guys can we discuss the questions that came up today in the b1 exam paper ?
What was the other six marker? (Not the sickle cell one).
Original post by Kingpizza1
Guys can we discuss the questions that came up today in the b1 exam paper ?

Yes, what do you want to discuss about it? :biggrin:
What did u guys get for the percentsge question
Original post by HeadofScience
What was the other six marker? (Not the sickle cell one).

There wasn't a sickle cell 6 marker? They were on the role of bacteria in the nitrogen cycle and natural selection/evolution. Did I do a different paper?
Just wanr to compare answers haha, illnstart off by askin what u wrote for the percentsge question
Original post by Hannah'sSweets
Yes, what do you want to discuss about it? :biggrin:
I had them also lol
There wasn't a sickle cell 6 marker? They were on the role of bacteria in the nitrogen cycle and natural selection/evolution. Did I do a different paper?
i got 50%
Same i dont know how others goy 75
Original post by kayapirie
i got 50%

I remember the percentage question now. I also got 50%.

Ah OK thank you! I'm a teacher and I must have misunderstood what my students were telling me! That makes me feel better I was worried when they mentioned the sickle cell one! Thanks for your help :smile:

neither do i? i can't really remember the question though?? was it what is the percentage probability of the child being a carrier for sickle cell disease?
the genetic cross diagram showed genotypes of FF Ff Ff ff , right? so it would be 75% if the question was asking the probability of a child being an affected individual AND a carrier, but as far as i remember it was just carrier, therefore there was a 50% chance of this
Reply 117

I put 50% too!!!
There were 1 unaffected
2 were carriers
1 had the disease

Im just happy i got something right. Predictions for the grade boundaries???
i might be completely wrong though so don't depend on my reliability haha
what was the answer to the sick cell malaria one

Quick Reply

Latest