The Student Room Group

*[B1] Official AQA Biology Unit 1 Exam (17th May)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Heshs
Was lichens and air pollution wrong

Yes it's wrong. The answer was mayfly larvae, bloodworms or rat tailed maggots which are all sensitive to WATER pollution. (Not air pollution)
Original post by Redcoats
I probably got that wrong! I put a company that does not have any other ties with other companies (thus allowing results to be more reliable and accurate)

Same! And I said so that they know which variables were changed for the investigation and so they could find out if their drug was actually useful and helped.
Well guess what. Two years worth of work wasted. Nothing what you expected. Heres a rundown.
Gm mosquitos
Healthy diet
Drunk 15 year olds.
Stripy snails.
Thats about it. Oh yeah. And whats an independant company.
Great biology exam to be honest. Exactly everything to do with biology. No random business questions. Or random newspaper articles you see everyday about drunk 15 year olds. You know those drunk 15 year olds. Theyre such a nuiscance. Bloody hell.
Topics they didn't include:
Plants (Phototropism, auxin, etc)
Menstrual Cycle and IVF
Immune System (White blood cells, pathogens)
Thalidomide topic
Semmelweis
Homeostasis
Plants and Animals adaptations
Keeping Healthy (Metabolic rate, diet, etc) (This is gonna be take out of the Specification, so this was their last year to ask these questions, so I don't understand why they didn't!?!)
and a bunch more, unbelievable!
Original post by walkerg122
Yes it's wrong. The answer was mayfly larvae, bloodworms or rat tailed maggots which are all sensitive to WATER pollution. (Not air pollution)

You could choose mayfly larvae and then write water pollution
OR
You could choose lichens and write sulfur dioxide pollution/air pollution.
Original post by blahblahbalh
Topics they didn't include:
Plants (Phototropism, auxin, etc)
Menstrual Cycle and IVF
Immune System (White blood cells, pathogens)
Thalidomide topic
Semmelweis
Homeostasis
Plants and Animals adaptations
Keeping Healthy (Metabolic rate, diet, etc) (This is gonna be take out of the Specification, so this was their last year to ask these questions, so I don't understand why they didn't!?!)
and a bunch more, unbelievable!

I'm not so bothered about the exam paper as, however random and not applicable some of the questions were (standard form and s = d/t as well as drunk rats!), I didn't think it was too bad (I'm hopeful for at least an A) and hopefully the grade boundaries should be nice and low. However, I am REALLY cross about all the topics I've learnt that didn't come up at all. All of the revision I did in the 48 hours before the exam was pointless, I feel like it was mainly logic!
Does anyone have the answers
Original post by HashimAhmedd
Well guess what. Two years worth of work wasted. Nothing what you expected. Heres a rundown.
Gm mosquitos
Healthy diet
Drunk 15 year olds.
Stripy snails.
Thats about it. Oh yeah. And whats an independant company.
Great biology exam to be honest. Exactly everything to do with biology. No random business questions. Or random newspaper articles you see everyday about drunk 15 year olds. You know those drunk 15 year olds. Theyre such a nuiscance. Bloody hell.

I knowr right, all those sleepness nights, afterschool sessions, past papers printed - all for nothing. I don't think I've had a worse paper than this one, this exam was ridiculous. Less than half of it was actually biology!
Honestly, that is the worst bit. It's not like we didn't revise or we weren't prepared. I was looking forward to this exam and Chemistry, although after seeing this paper, I'm not so sure anymore. We have to sit B2 and B3 together, one after the other, so I thought it'll be great if I can do really well on B1, cuz you just run out of steam for B3 since it is just after B2 and it's difficult to fit revision in and remember the stuff straight after one paper. I got an A for my ISA ( really wanted an A* to boost my grade ) and I thought I could get an A overall, maybe even an A*, but I'm just really disappointed that it wasn't just hard, but it contained things that we did not know and weren't taught.
foundation markscheme for b1 17th may 2016
Reply 170
Worst paper ever. I worked so hard to achieve an a*. Literally learnt the whole of the b1 unit by heart from the cgp books , did past papers, familiarised myself with the mark scheme. Everything! And what comes up ... Drunk rats. Horrible paper and nothing to do with biology at all. Waste of time. Aqa needs to improve their standards
Original post by The-Hof123
I put that too XD, and for the second bit, I put mass spectrometry. It was a complete guess!!! XD

wait i thought it was lichen and air pollution? i must have read the question wrong
Original post by Bethany2001
wait i thought it was lichen and air pollution? i must have read the question wrong

I thought that, but a lot of people seem to think differently, I thought it said: Indicator SPECIES, not indicator ANIMALS, but oh well XD :''''''''(
Original post by blahblahbalh
You could choose mayfly larvae and then write water pollution
OR
You could choose lichens and write sulfur dioxide pollution/air pollution.

I don't think they will allow lichens :frown:
that exam contained no biology! What an absolute joke
Reply 175
Original post by walkerg122

But it said pollution not AIR pollution
Reply 176
If everyone is complaining avout it then i expect that they will pull down the grade boundaries..right?
I have to be honest, I was worried about Biology at first as it is my weakest subject but ik I revised most of the Unit 1 specification and when I saw the questions I was very confused as Question 1 threw me off a bit with the indipendent business despite me being a business trihard but after that I felt I could answer quite a few of the questions but I was annoyed when there were no questions on topics that I spent a long time on getting my heard around like menstrual cycle, nervous system and cloning, expecting for them to pop up. I am very unsure on how well I did and I am also concerned about who writes these papers XD I also worry about everyone else as I think it is unfair for someone who knows the whole syllabus and may not do as well as they could've becaus the paper had a lot of content no one was really prepared for.
At least I got an A* in my ISA and hopefully B2 and B3 will actually be Biology papers.

Original post by Bethany2001

I put Lichen too and my m8 reminded me that it asked for animals not organisms ;-; At least it was only 2-3 marks lost there.
What did you guys get for another method of measuring pollution? Did you just name another animal? Also for why the snails were distributed as so? I said for camoflage.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 179
well actually i didnt do the test. i just sat there and opened it and was like wtf. like tbh i didnt really learn much of B1 since i have been busy a lot. but i knew some bits and pieces of B1. but when i opened the paper i realized that most of teh questions were not even biology related. ok WTH?! all these years of studding gine to waset. so i just sat there and i didnt even do the paper. i am not gunna sit theer and do a test that does not even have the content i have learnt. liek no. no way. never. so i am gunna get a zero......oh wait crap......I AM GUNNA GET A U!!!!!!! AHHHHHH MY PARENTS R GUNNA GET SO ANGRY. omg i should have actually tried.... crap

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending