The Student Room Group

Ocr biology????

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Hassi77
For the Neanderthal I talked about how an epidemic could have occurred and caused them to extinct. Another reason is they couldnt adapt to the environment change quick enough so they died. OR a new predator was introduced or a new competitor for food which left them without enough food.
my unofficial markscheme
1.proteins,dna,genotype,phenotype,sex chromose
sixth mark question for EBOLA- I wrote about how the body would have rejected the new blood because it was foreign and it would react in an adverse way, or blood type wasnt the same and i wrote about how it would treat the women because the blood that was given had memory cells to kill the virus so her body recognized the antigen and produced the corresponding antibodies.
ask me for any other questions

do you think 40/60 is an a star and what did you write for the twin six marker
Reply 21
Original post by haider96
do you think 40/60 is an a star and what did you write for the twin six marker

hmm i think grade boundaries would be kinda high for this exam because nearly everyone found it fairly easy in my school so maybe 45/60 for A*
For the identical twins i just about how the studies will help scientist because they have identical genotypes but they can develop different phenotypes so scientist can investigate the importance of phenotypes. But for this experiment to happen the twins have to be seperated at birth and live in two different environments.(this is where the ethical problems start)
- One of the twin wont be able to live with their real family and grow up together
- One of the twins may be disadvantaged by the environment
- The twins arent able to decide if they would want to undergo the experiment or not so its unfair
Original post by Drussjnr
Yeah i did it too, I also do triple.

OCR isn't hugely popular anyway for science, so the chance of a unofficial mark scheme is unlikely.

Anyway what did you guys think? I thought it lacked any science and was really general knowledge. just looking at the revision guide i see 3 things it covered in all of B1,B2,B3. Really disappointed as Core biology is by far my strongest.

I have to disagree. Everything was science related because everything that came up I had revised. Ebola - memory cells as an example.
Original post by bethh.
I can only remember some answers! But the first question I got proteins, dna, genotype, phenotype then I didn't get the last bit so put chromosome 23, sex determination gene?

Also I remember writing 3.3 au and ticking the box for pituitary gland.

for the last bit on the first page i put gametes and females have xy, males have xx
Reply 24
Original post by Hassi77
hmm i think grade boundaries would be kinda high for this exam because nearly everyone found it fairly easy in my school so maybe 45/60 for A*
For the identical twins i just about how the studies will help scientist because they have identical genotypes but they can develop different phenotypes so scientist can investigate the importance of phenotypes. But for this experiment to happen the twins have to be seperated at birth and live in two different environments.(this is where the ethical problems start)
- One of the twin wont be able to live with their real family and grow up together
- One of the twins may be disadvantaged by the environment
- The twins arent able to decide if they would want to undergo the experiment or not so its unfair

yes thats exactly what i wrote what did you write about the two scientists discovery bit
Reply 25
what did you guys write about the comparison for the rate of the antigens questions something like that
Reply 26
yes thats exactly what i wrote what did you write about the two scientists discovery bit

not going to lie that was the hardest question in the paper. I probably got 0 marks for this but i wrote" Scientist X (cant remember the name) believes that neanderthal had grass in their teeth because they ate the dears who had grass in their stomachs because its believable as the neanderthal were very uncivilised and they wouldnt survive very long with just plants
Reply 27
what did you guys write about the comparison for the rate of the antigens questions something like that

For part b) I wrote " as the rate of antigens increase the symptoms start showing more and as the rate of antigens decrease less symptoms are shown what did you write
Original post by Hassi77
not going to lie that was the hardest question in the paper. I probably got 0 marks for this but i wrote" Scientist X (cant remember the name) believes that neanderthal had grass in their teeth because they ate the dears who had grass in their stomachs because its believable as the neanderthal were very uncivilised and they wouldnt survive very long with just plants

lol my answers were ridiculous I put
- they may have interpreted the data differently
- they may be experts in different areas of biology so they link the data with different things
???
whole paper was a bit of a shambles imo
GUYS WE CAN DO THIS DW

IF UR REALLY STRESSED ABOUT IT THEN SEARCH #OCRBiology On Twitter! :smile:

it was general knowledge lacked science and there was nothing to do with ANYTTTHHHHIINNNGGGGGG IN THE SPECIFICATION UGH
Reply 30
Original post by Hassi77

that question and the one about interdependence was so hard thats the two questions that let me down also for the breast cancer question was it alright if you talked about the results not being 100 percent accurate and that if she was to have it employers may not to employ a person who is likely to get ill and life insures may not give life insurance to those with wrong alleles do you think thats right
Original post by icy_typhoon
- they may be experts in different areas of biology so they link the data with different things
???

I wrote they could have conducted different research kind of similar to you LOL
Reply 32
???

lol i think you'll get atleast one mark for interpretations. To be honest i found it very easy even though i was very scared about B3 it was simple. THANK GOD NOTHING CAME UP ABOUT NITROGEN CYCLE COZ I FORGOT TO REVISE. Dont worry that was the hardest question in the paper and it was only 2 marks or 3
Original post by Hassi77
lol i think you'll get atleast one mark for interpretations. To be honest i found it very easy even though i was very scared about B3 it was simple. THANK GOD NOTHING CAME UP ABOUT NITROGEN CYCLE COZ I FORGOT TO REVISE. Dont worry that was the hardest question in the paper and it was only 2 marks or 3

sadly I spent a lot of time revising the nitrogen cycle...there's an hour of my life I'll never get back lol
Reply 34
that question and the one about interdependence was so hard thats the two questions that let me down also for the breast cancer question was it alright if you talked about the results not being 100 percent accurate and that if she was to have it employers may not to employ a person who is likely to get ill and life insures may not give life insurance to those with wrong alleles do you think thats right

interdependence confused me abit but i talked about how both bison and dears were depending for grass as their food supplier
Yes totally i talked about false positive / negative and how theres a risk for the surgery to fail. was that a six mark question coz i cant remember doing good in it ?
Reply 35
sadly I spent a lot of time revising the nitrogen cycle...there's an hour of my life I'll never get back lol

its not waste dont worry i think nitrogen cycle comes up in b7 exam if youre doing it and carbon cycle is in p1 or p2
Original post by Hassi77
its not waste dont worry i think nitrogen cycle comes up in b7 exam if youre doing it and carbon cycle is in p1 or p2

yeah I am and I guess you're right :smile:
Reply 37
Original post by Hassi77
interdependence confused me abit but i talked about how both bison and dears were depending for grass as their food supplier
Yes totally i talked about false positive / negative and how theres a risk for the surgery to fail. was that a six mark question coz i cant remember doing good in it ?

no it was 3 marker and same i think i got 42 in this paper an a would be excellent result this paper was more explaining general knowledge but really hard general questions so good luck everyone with rslts
Reply 38
nope, theya re the sex determining chromosome (xy). also i dont think the first thing was proteins, rather, amino acids
I mentioned about how the man has immunity and the female will not. The right antigen and the right antibody for Ebola virus therefore it might work. Or it could possibly mutate therefore not work. Not accepted by women and show allergic reaction.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending