The Student Room Group

OCR Biology exam 17th may

How did your exam go? I thought the questions were stupid :frown: what answers did you all get ? :3

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yeah I found it not bad but didn't really get the Neanderthal questions.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Within the Neanderthal question, you had to include the reasons that it couldve become extinct. I put...

Unsucessfully adapted to the environment
Unable to reproduce
Change in the environment
The food chain changed which meant the neanderthal's diet changed also.
Idea that the food chain changed due to the introduction of a new predator.
The idea that a new disease formed and wiped them out.

hope it helps. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by tj164
Within the Neanderthal question, you had to include the reasons that it couldve become extinct. I put...

Unsucessfully adapted to the environment
Unable to reproduce
Change in the environment
The food chain changed which meant the neanderthal's diet changed also.
Idea that the food chain changed due to the introduction of a new predator.
The idea that a new disease formed and wiped them out.

hope it helps. :smile:

do you have an unofficial mark scheme and grade boundaries
for the neanderthals question i put natural selection and environmental changes caused them to become extnct
Reply 5
Nope. The boundaries will differ depending on how well everyone who sat OCR does on that paper. I have no mark scheme either however the question was just asking you what factors could influence the extinction of the neanderthals. Those are the factors within the revision book and what we have been taught so...

Original post by haider96
do you have an unofficial mark scheme and grade boundaries
Reply 6
Original post by tj164
Nope. The boundaries will differ depending on how well everyone who sat OCR does on that paper. I have no mark scheme either however the question was just asking you what factors could influence the extinction of the neanderthals. Those are the factors within the revision book and what we have been taught so...

yh i found that question relatively easy however what did you write for the first question about the 23rd chromosomes name in male and females
For the first 6 mark question regarding why twins are useful for scientist, I wrote the following points:
- I firstly described how twins are formed, so when a fertilised egg or zygote splits into 2 which continue to develop independently. I then linked this them both being genetically identical.
- The fact that they are genetically identical means that any changes must be due to their environment.
- This enables scientist to understand the affect of the environment on the human body and how it affects the characteristics.
- Some people may object to these experiments as it is unethical, reason being, there may be a risk towards those involved ( I was a bit confused for this point, let me know what you wrote for why people may consider it unethical).

What did you lot write for the question regarding the surgery that could reduce her chance of developing breast cancer?
Reply 8
yh i found that question relatively easy however what did you write for the first question about the 23rd chromosomes name in male and females

I wrote sex chromosomes

(reposted due to not quoting what I was responding to)
Reply 9
i wrote hetrozygous by accident it was the pressure kicking in:colondollar:

Original post by catlol
I wrote sex chromosomes

You know for the extra space at the back, did you have to use that? Could you just continue to write under the lines for the six markers and would that get scanned? Also what did you guys but the for last fill in the gap in the first question about the last chromosome? :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by maryam.nackvi
You know for the extra space at the back, did you have to use that? Could you just continue to write under the lines for the six markers and would that get scanned? Also what did you guys but the for last fill in the gap in the first question about the last chromosome? :smile:

I'm not sure what question you are referring to so I can't tell you my answer! :s-smilie:

I also had that issue! We weren't told there was extra space on the back so I continued writing below questions. I spoke to my biology teacher and the whole page is scanned in however the examiners only see the lines, they have to click an extra button to open the whole page. I'm sure if it's clear that you were continuing to write below they would open up the page! :smile:
I completely messed up
Original post by catlol
I'm not sure what question you are referring to so I can't tell you my answer! :s-smilie:

I also had that issue! We weren't told there was extra space on the back so I continued writing below questions. I spoke to my biology teacher and the whole page is scanned in however the examiners only see the lines, they have to click an extra button to open the whole page. I'm sure if it's clear that you were continuing to write below they would open up the page! :smile:

Thankyou so much! Hopefully it should be fine!!
Original post by 7Student7
How did your exam go? I thought the questions were stupid :frown: what answers did you all get ? :3

It was ok for me I answered all the questions minimum I will get is a B but I wanted an A
Original post by catlol
I wrote sex chromosomes

I wrote sex chromosomes too
Hi all,

I think we should start an unofficial mark scheme. Anybody with experience of writing one? Happy to contribute a lot as I have a photographic memory :smile:
Reply 17
Ahhh seeing what other people wrote for the six markers make me seriously doubt the level of detail I put in them :frown:
Reply 18
i wrote hetrozygous by accident it was the pressure kicking in:colondollar:

ah don't worry about it!
Reply 19
Hey what did you guys get for the question about Ebola? Where the woman used a man's blood for treatment?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending