The Student Room Group

B1 Exam today Edexcel

like when did the revision guide or textbook talk about sickle cells disease related Malaria.

Scroll to see replies

I put that it was an adaptation to help them survive and reproduce (malaria can be deadly) and having sickle cell makes them less likely to catch it.

It was an application question (I think!), so it wasn't going to be in the textbooks/revision guides.
Reply 2
What you gus put for why carbohydrates are more after meal
Reply 3
when the hell did we need to know where the capital letters were in a binomial name
Original post by Swb123
What you gus put for why carbohydrates are more after meal

Why there was more glycogen after a meal? Or is that a different question?

* Food contains sugars
* Absorbing the sugars (glucose) will cause the blood glucose level to rise
* Pancreas secretes insulin to convert the excess blood glucose into glycogen
* Glycogen level increases
Reply 5
Original post by Hannah'sSweets
I put that it was an adaptation to help them survive and reproduce (malaria can be deadly).

What did you get for type 2 diabetes one?
Reply 6
Original post by wilksy1
when the hell did we need to know where the capital letters were in a binomial name

I know right, that was very irrelevant like the exam itself. I'm pretty sure the answer was c for that
Reply 7
Did anyone here do the foundation paper today?? :smile:
Original post by Zafirah.1
What did you get for type 2 diabetes one?

People with Type 2 are resistant to insulin so their glycogen level would stay stable (blood glucose not converted to glycogen).
Original post by Imsophie
I did this exam board last year for my triple science GCSEs and I must admit your paper was a lot more application based. However, I think it's something along the lines of your supposed to know that the pathogen transporting malaria infects the human through the bloodstream and malaria works by infecting the hosts red blood cells. SC crescent shaped red blood cells are therefore have less surface area to be infected by malaria and so it's harder to penetrate them.
I only know this because it is actually on my as level biology spec something very similar to this. It was a very hard question for GCSE:/

The question asked why there were a higher % of people with sickle cell disease where malaria was present IIRC not why it's harder to be infected with malaria when you have sickle cell disease,
Reply 10
People with Type 2 are resistant to insulin so their glycogen level would stay stable (blood glucose not converted to glycogen).

For the time one?
I got 22:30-23:00
For the time one?
I got 22:30-23:00

I said 22:30. Did I not read the question properly? Did it have to be range?
Reply 12
I said 22:30. Did I not read the question properly? Did it have to be range?

No I just wrote between two just incase. But I'm pretty sure you would be right too.
Reply 13
No I just wrote between two just incase. But I'm pretty sure you would be right too.

I wrote 22:10 but idk
In this i wrote evening meal accidentally do u think i could get any marks

Posted from TSR Mobile
like when did the revision guide or textbook talk about sickle cells disease related Malaria.

RIGHT?!
But I think it came up in a past paper question someone about the prevalence... I think they're resistance and survive and breed so there's more of them in this countries.
Original post by Maddieki

Yes I did
Reply 17
Original post by legend.786
In this i wrote evening meal accidentally do u think i could get any marks

Posted from TSR Mobile

It depends sometimes it the mark scheme it does say acceptable answers so it may one of them.
It's because the genus in binomial classification starts with a capital letter :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by Maddieki

No higher. What did you do?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending