The Student Room Group

OCR AS History A England 1485 - 1558: Early Tudor (18/05)

Any predictions on what it might be? Any links to resources would be appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

I'm doing this exam! I've been looking for ages to find someone else studying it.

I think for Henry VII it might be threats to his reign, like pretenders and rebellions, or the structure of his government, or possibly the nobility? Henry VIII is a toughie, it could be dissolution of the monasteries, or possibly a focus on his early domestic policies. And the sources could be anything, but I'm hoping for something on socio-economic factors possibly, like enclosure and vagrancy.
Reply 2
Hey i'm doing this exam as well i think it is going to be domestic policy for henry VIII and Wolsey related question for henry VIII.
Have you memorized the whole content?
Reply 3
sorry henry vII for domestic policy
Is it possible for both essays to be on Henry viii or both on Henry vii? Or will it be one for each? Thanks 😊
Reply 5
Original post by Esthercrouch9741
Is it possible for both essays to be on Henry viii or both on Henry vii? Or will it be one for each? Thanks 😊

I think it can be a mixture of both. On the specimen paper we did for our mock the source questions were both on religion and the state of the church on the eve of the Reformation but the two twenty markers of choice: one was the fall of Wolsey and the other was Henry vii's foreign policy
Hope this helps☺️
Original post by Imsophie
I think it can be a mixture of both. On the specimen paper we did for our mock the source questions were both on religion and the state of the church on the eve of the Reformation but the two twenty markers of choice: one was the fall of Wolsey and the other was Henry vii's foreign policy
Hope this helps☺️

The mock we did had source questions on the problems with a female ruler but we had the same 20 marker essays as you ?? I'm confused what course are you doing ??? Because the official OCR specimen source questions were on the female ruler stuff. Unless your teachers made up the source questions ??
Original post by Imsophie
Hope this helps☺️

yeah this is helpful :smile: i really hope there's one on the reformation period though.. its such a long time period to revise for :frown: :frown:
Reply 8
You have to believe that with the specification being new, the first exam on the new specification will be a kind question.
I believe its almost inevitable that we will see a question focused around Henry VII whether it will be Foreign or Domestic policy is up for debate. I hate to say that I can't see a question to do with the Yorkist Challenges he faced as it's the one most of us are hoping for.
The other question will most likely centred around Henry VIII and i'm guessing it will be either early foreign policy between 1509-29 Or Wolsey's domestic policy which is pretty much Henry's domestic policy. There is the slight possibility that one of the essay's is centred around Cromwell, this would probably be a worse case scenario but with this being the first exam on the new specification i think it's unlikely.
As for the Sources I'd assume it will be centred around either the Wyatt rebellion or the Ketts & Western Rebellions. However something regarding Social/Economic grievances is also a possibility.
Reply 9
Original post by sonnetwentythree
The mock we did had source questions on the problems with a female ruler but we had the same 20 marker essays as you ?? I'm confused what course are you doing ??? Because the official OCR specimen source questions were on the female ruler stuff. Unless your teachers made up the source questions ??

I just checked in my ocr textbook and yeah the two source questions are mid Tudor crisis and the 20 mark section b is the Henry viii and viii. my teacher must have forgot to tell our class this but I'm glad at least I know now and can go over stuff more. I'm assuming our teacher made up the mock stuff as we hadn't got the mid Tudor crisis by that point.
Original post by James466
You have to believe that with the specification being new, the first exam on the new specification will be a kind question.
I believe its almost inevitable that we will see a question focused around Henry VII whether it will be Foreign or Domestic policy is up for debate. I hate to say that I can't see a question to do with the Yorkist Challenges he faced as it's the one most of us are hoping for.
The other question will most likely centred around Henry VIII and i'm guessing it will be either early foreign policy between 1509-29 Or Wolsey's domestic policy which is pretty much Henry's domestic policy. There is the slight possibility that one of the essay's is centred around Cromwell, this would probably be a worse case scenario but with this being the first exam on the new specification i think it's unlikely.
As for the Sources I'd assume it will be centred around either the Wyatt rebellion or the Ketts & Western Rebellions. However something regarding Social/Economic grievances is also a possibility.

Hi, have you get a set structure for how you're going to answer the 20 marker? Thanks
Reply 11
How likely do you think it is that Henry 7 will come up in the 20 marker? Also, my teacher seems to think that it will be on social or religion for the sources. What are the social issues?
Original post by Snr1
How likely do you think it is that Henry 7 will come up in the 20 marker? Also, my teacher seems to think that it will be on social or religion for the sources. What are the social issues?

a really hope they do one 20 marker on henry 7 and one on Henry 8, it would be a bit mean to do them both on one seeing as it's the first year of the new specification
Original post by James466

You were right!it was to do with Wolsey's domestic policy and Ketts rebellion as well as threats to Henry's rule!!!
:frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
How did everyone find this exam then??
I found the source question okay (aside from the fact I almost did source A instead of source C D:smile:, I don't know if I held a consistent argument or structured it properly but the points are there and I mention the source and my own knowledge blah blah I'm just overthinking.
For the second source question which sources did you say agreed/disagreed with the view?? I found that only source A supported the view that it was religious change that caused unrest because it was referring to the Western Prayer Book Rebellion but Source B was about Kett's which was enclousure and source C didn't really mention religion???
Also I did the Henry VII essay and mentioned the Yorkist threat, challenge of the nobility and the threat from France and Scotland (auld alliance) and I put in the fact that England was weak financially too, meaning it lacked influence.

I think it went good, it could have gone much worse I just hope what I put down made sense D:
I really liked the topic that the sources were on but I thought they were too similar to evaluate. Then with the second question I just kept repeating myself SO MUCH! So worried coz I don't think I was making much sense. Ah well!
I found the source question okay (aside from the fact I almost did source A instead of source C D:smile:, I don't know if I held a consistent argument or structured it properly but the points are there and I mention the source and my own knowledge blah blah I'm just overthinking.
For the second source question which sources did you say agreed/disagreed with the view?? I found that only source A supported the view that it was religious change that caused unrest because it was referring to the Western Prayer Book Rebellion but Source B was about Kett's which was enclousure and source C didn't really mention religion???
Also I did the Henry VII essay and mentioned the Yorkist threat, challenge of the nobility and the threat from France and Scotland (auld alliance) and I put in the fact that England was weak financially too, meaning it lacked influence.

I think it went good, it could have gone much worse I just hope what I put down made sense D:

I put basically the same as you for the 20 mark source question but I didn't do Henry vii's threats I did wolsey's domestic policy. Did you think this was a hard exam, I'm unsure?☺️

My friend did Source A and realized after finishing it and taking 20 minutes to do it that she did the wrong one. She was crying afterwards because she didn't have time to change it.

For me the exam went so badly. I loved the questions but I just didn't have enough time to think. I also did Henry VII and talked about all the rebellions and Perkin Warbeck and Simnel but I think that's not what the question was asking me so I'm screwed. I revised so hard but time just messed everything up. Hoping Russia is better.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending