The Student Room Group

2016 AQA Biology Unit 1 - Unofficial Mark scheme 2016

Scroll to see replies

[QUOTE=AxSirlotl;64893195]I divided the smaller number (number of deaths) by the total number of those infected with malaria to find the percentage of those who died after being infected with malaria. I multiplied my answer by 100 and it gave me 0.6 recurring. I thought that this was a ridiculously small percentage for such a devastating disease so I multiplied it by 100 which gave me 66.6% which makes sense in my head but probably was wrong.

Thing is. That's exactly what I did. I just couldn't process that 0.6with a dot on top meant 66.6666%, whilst I just assumed that it meant 60%-so it's just a silly error..
What did you put where it asks you to name sense organs
Original post by dangerouswoman
I know right.. was thinking the same thing, wth is wrong with 51 marks?! If anything, less than 25-30 should be something to cry about.

That's my goals tbh, i know my marks range between 19-30 deffo didn't get an A :frown:
what was the drunk rat question about? I'm worried i missed it out? thanks
Original post by zacharyboi
what was the drunk rat question about? I'm worried i missed it out? thanks

Drunk rats are about drug testiing. Drugs are tested on cells / tissues / animals before they're tested on live humans.
Independent company = a company different to the one that makes a drug
Reason = so they're unbiased.
It's basically getting at the same point as double blind trials - that you can't have somebody invested in the trial doing it.
Darwin's question was easy:
The steps that you should have said is this:
Mutation - variation - competition - survive or die out - if they survive they are able to pass on their useful characteristics to their offspring.

Btw what did you write cirsium on the Sense organ question
What is an Independant Industry and why is it used?
Original post by Cirsium
Drunk rats are about drug testiing. Drugs are tested on cells / tissues / animals before they're tested on live humans.
It's basically getting at the same point as double blind trials - that you can't have somebody invested in the trial doing it.

oh thank you so it was the very first question?
Original post by Mike-Lut
Thing is. That's exactly what I did. I just couldn't process that 0.6with a dot on top meant 66.6666%, whilst I just assumed that it meant 60%-so it's just a silly error..

No need to dwell on it, the grade boundaries will probably be low since so many people found it difficult.
Original post by goldenusername
That's my goals tbh, i know my marks range between 19-30 deffo didn't get an A :frown:

Same. I think I got 25-28. Ugh, why do AQA have to be so harsh? I was so certain I was going to come out with an A or a B at least. Now I'm probably at a C or D which is terrible as I need A*-B's in all my sciences. And biology is, or perhaps, was my best subject. I have no faith in revising now. The exams only going to contain 10% of what's actually in the syllabus. Good luck in your Chemistry. Do you have RE Unit 2 tomorrow? I don't really revise for RE, I usually get A-A minuses plus my RE is fine at the moment.
For chemistry I am revising Of Mice And Men.
Original post by Cirsium

I was stuck on the independent company question. Was that in our spec
Original post by Skywarrior657
Darwin's question was easy:
The steps that you should have said is this:
Mutation - variation - competition - survive or die out - if they survive they are able to pass on their useful characteristics to their offspring.

Btw what did you write cirsium on the Sense organ question

Skin should be right
Original post by charliej2802
Anyone else get 0.67%???

I got that but I didn't think it was right so I times it by 100 again
Does anybody have any predictions for the Chemistry C1 exam on Thursday 19th May? I only have less than 2 days to revise and I'm already panicking after having done that terrible Biology exam. I heard Limestone and recycling metals might be the 6 marker but can't predict anything with AQA as they'll give you some random questions about drunk rats and snails...
Original post by zacharyboi
oh thank you so it was the very first question?

Yeah if you sat Higher. If you skipped over the big chunk of text and just answered the question you might not even have seen it :p:
Original post by AJ2104
For chemistry I am revising Of Mice And Men.

Don't forget Animal Farm. :laugh:
was the rats question in foundation or higher?
Original post by Skywarrior657
I was stuck on the independent company question. Was that in our spec

Not explicitly. But you're supposed to know what independent means because of independent variables and independent data points and that kind of thing. So it's not entirely unreasonable to ask you to talk about a company. Pretty mean though!
Original post by dangerouswoman
Same. I think I got 25-28. Ugh, why do AQA have to be so harsh? I was so certain I was going to come out with an A or a B at least. Now I'm probably at a C or D which is terrible as I need A*-B's in all my sciences. And biology is, or perhaps, was my best subject. I have no faith in revising now. The exams only going to contain 10% of what's actually in the syllabus. Good luck in your Chemistry. Do you have RE Unit 2 tomorrow? I don't really revise for RE, I usually get A-A minuses plus my RE is fine at the moment.

Me too biology was my strongest and today's paper completely took me by surprise. Chemistry and physics are both my weaknesses and AQA are being disgustingly harsh this year. My next Re exam is on june the 7th. Good luck with yours, i'm sure you'll get an A* if you get As for your mocks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending