The Student Room Group

WJEC French Higher Reading/listening answers

I've posted these over the past few years so will do so again, hope they're useful for some of you. I'm a French teacher and have the papers in front of me, so they're definitely correct!

Reading Higher

i) Didn't have the correct email address
ii) Funny
iii) in the countryside
iv) an invite to go on holiday to France

i) half
ii) the price
iii)Potatoes or rice or pasta
iv) they're rich in protein or they are tasty
v)eggs are healthy or eggs are economically good or are good quality or can improve your sight (!) or can help your memory (!)
vi) organic eggs

3. The six correct statements were the common sense ones with regards to ping pong- ii, iii, v, viii, ix, xi

(considered a sport, can play singles and doubles, good for all types of people, ball control is part of warm up, should do exercises for arms, legs, you can play at school)

i) from 2 weeks up to 3 months (2 marks)
ii) She welcomes and informs tourists (2 marks)
iii) She speaks 3 languages (she's "trilingue"- trilingual)
iv) She loves meeting people from different countries
v) she works for the first 2 weeks in August
vi) She's learning to drive

5. Gapfill task- was very hard I thought- more like an AS question:

1) importantes 2) eleves 3) ses 4) allons 5) preparer 6) nouvelles 7) tablettes 8) professeur

i) summer
ii) to protect the phone
iii)the beach
iv) 150 euros
v) the number of cells in the battery OR the charging time
vi) Charging takes 4 hours
vii) Sand and Water

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Listening Higher

1. a) December
b) it's her birthday month
c) her children and THEIR family (2 marks)
d) her son
e) reading comics
f) judo
g) a singer

2. a) south of France
b) new bins
c) takes place in March
d) bins collected 3 times per week
e) because it's hot in the region
5f) Plastic packaging/plastic bags/plastic pots/plastic bottles

3. Illness question:

D, A, C, E. B (stomach, head, teeth, leg, sunburn)

4. a) Spain
b) a smart watch (intelligent watch)
c) it has touch screen or a camera or speakers
d) the Weather forecast

5. a)
i) Go to the beach or zoo
ii) go to the aquarium or museum

b) It was rainy in August
c) Hotels and restaurants are busy this year
d) people are spending less
e) economic crisis

6. Interview with Amelie Mauresmo

a) Andy Murray's trainer
b) 1979
c) on TV
d) to give her tennis lessons
e) World Junior Champion
f) a back operation
g) satisfied AND it's a victory for both of them (2 marks)
h) they have a new team

Hope this helps and GOOD LUCK!! I think the exam boundaries will be quite low for the Reading (maybe 34 A*, 32 A, 28 B, 26 C) and a bit higher for the listening (just my opinion!)
If your answers is truly correct, I believe I've had full marks in both papers 😊🤓 thank you very much for this!!
Reply 4
Thanks for this but I was wondering, in 2v on the reading, if I put farming eggs, would that be counted wrong? Also, in 5e, I spelt crisis in the plural form (crises) so what that still be worth the mark or not? Lastly, in 6d, I put to allow her to join a tennis club - would the examiners be nice in terms of the mark scheme and allow this to be worth a mark or not?
Reply 5
I'm not sure with regard to "farm eggs"- that could go either way... crises I would say definitely yes, and tennis club I would say no as it said "cours"- lessons :smile:
Reply 6
Thanks a lot for this. I have just 4 remarks to make, the first 2 of which I am pretty sure and the last 2 asking for advice from you guys. All of them relate to the listening, which I found harder than the reading - maybe it was the echo in the exam hall for me...

1) For 1d I'm quite sure the answer is granchild because she said "petits-enfants".

2) For 4c I am relatively sure that another possible answer is "flexible screen" because they said "ecran flexible et tactile". Please correct me if I'm wrong.

3) This one I'm not sure about - would "tennis player" be a possible answer for 6a or did they say that she is the trainer OF tennis player Murray?

4) What was the actual question for 6d? I don't remember anything like that.

Thanks in advice
Reply 7
Original post by theone97
Thanks a lot for this. I have just 4 remarks to make, the first 2 of which I am pretty sure and the last 2 asking for advice from you guys. All of them relate to the listening, which I found harder than the reading - maybe it was the echo in the exam hall for me...

1) For 1d I'm quite sure the answer is granchild because she said "petits-enfants".

2) For 4c I am relatively sure that another possible answer is "flexible screen" because they said "ecran flexible et tactile". Please correct me if I'm wrong.

3) This one I'm not sure about - would "tennis player" be a possible answer for 6a or did they say that she is the trainer OF tennis player Murray?

Thanks in advice

6d was something along the lines of her persuading her parents to allow her to do something.
Reply 8
Hi,

I was just wondering on the listening 6a i put tennis trainer and 6d i put persuade her parents to allow her to join a tennis club and 6f i said recovering from an injury would these be right?

thanks
Reply 9
Original post by theone97

Thanks in advice

1) Sorry yes that was a typo, it should read "grand son". I do wonder though if they will allow "little son" but knowing WJEC they won't. We hardly ever see "grand son" is class though- very harsh.
2) Just had another listen and you're right, you can have "flexible screen" also.
3) For 6a they said she is "the new trainer of Andy Murray" so tennis player won't count.
4) The question for 6d was "What did she persuade her parents to do?"- answer "have tennis lessons"

Hope this helps
Reply 10
Original post by Zx12r1
Hi,

I was just wondering on the listening 6a i put tennis trainer and 6d i put persuade her parents to allow her to join a tennis club and 6f i said recovering from an injury would these be right?

thanks

Just my opinion but:

6a I think they will give that mark, yes.
6d It was tennis lessons and there was no mention of a club so I doubt you will get that.
6f I don't think that's accurate enough. They will almost certainly be looking for "had a back operation".
Reply 11
Thinking about it I imagine they will accept "little son" because the only real difference between that and grandson is a hyphen between the two words (and obviously you can't tell that on a listening)... although most French people would say petit garcon for little son...
2 things. Will chicken eggs be ok for the egg question and i only put bags instead of plastic bags but i put plastic with my other answers which were correct? Thanks in advance
Reply 13
Original post by Lazyguy999
2 things. Will chicken eggs be ok for the egg question and i only put bags instead of plastic bags but i put plastic with my other answers which were correct? Thanks in advance

You will be fine with just "bags". As for "chicken eggs" that won't be right because they said "Evitez les oeufs des poules de batterie", meaning "Avoid eating eggs from battery (caged) hens". You may have read this as a positive? They will probably only accept organic (and possibly "farm eggs" or "free range eggs")
Yes, that's great smicer07. Thanks. :-)

Feel very reassured now overall.
Sorry 2 more things. Would saying that they can stay with them if she goes on holiday there be ok for 1 iv. Also for 4 ii I put she works in the tourist office and helps tourists. Would that get me any marks as i am borderline A*. Thanks again
Reply 16
Original post by smicer07
I've posted these over the past few years so will do so again, hope they're useful for some of you. I'm a French teacher and have the papers in front of me, so they're definitely correct!

Reading Higher

i) Didn't have the correct email address
ii) Funny
iii) in the countryside
iv) an invite to go on holiday to France

i) half
ii) the price
iii)Potatoes or rice or pasta
iv) they're rich in protein or they are tasty
v)eggs are healthy or eggs are economically good or are good quality or can improve your sight (!) or can help your memory (!)
vi) organic eggs

3. The six correct statements were the common sense ones with regards to ping pong- ii, iii, v, viii, ix, xi

(considered a sport, can play singles and doubles, good for all types of people, ball control is part of warm up, should do exercises for arms, legs, you can play at school)

i) from 2 weeks up to 3 months (2 marks)
ii) She welcomes and informs tourists (2 marks)
iii) She speaks 3 languages (she's "trilingue"- trilingual)
iv) She loves meeting people from different countries
v) she works for the first 2 weeks in August
vi) She's learning to drive

5. Gapfill task- was very hard I thought- more like an AS question:

1) importantes 2) eleves 3) ses 4) allons 5) preparer 6) nouvelles 7) tablettes 8) professeur

i) summer
ii) to protect the phone
iii)the beach
iv) 150 euros
v) the number of cells in the battery OR the charging time
vi) Charging takes 4 hours
vii) Sand and Water

Hi,

I was just wondering whether you thing these answers would/wouldn't get the mark.

Reading
1) a) Didn't have the correct address (didn't mention email)
1) d) An invite to come and stay with her at her house
2) f) Eggs from bio-farmers
4) a) i) 2 weeks
ii) 3 months
(do you think I would get any because I didn't put 'from' or 'up to'?)
4) d) loves to be with people from other countries

Listening
2)c) Her whole family (instead of their family)
2) d) (been reading the comments and I've seen some people mention grandson.. is it son or grandson?)
6)a) Tennis coach (didn't mention specifically Andy Murray's tennis coach)

Thank you so much, I appreciate that you are a teacher and obviously have lots to do!
Reply 17
For the egg question I put free range not organic, do I get the mark?
Reply 18
Original post by ajf99
Hi,

I was just wondering whether you thing these answers would/wouldn't get the mark.

Reading
1) a) Didn't have the correct address (didn't mention email)
1) d) An invite to come and stay with her at her house
2) f) Eggs from bio-farmers
4) a) i) 2 weeks
ii) 3 months
(do you think I would get any because I didn't put 'from' or 'up to'?)
4) d) loves to be with people from other countries

Listening
2)c) Her whole family (instead of their family)
2) d) (been reading the comments and I've seen some people mention grandson.. is it son or grandson?)
6)a) Tennis coach (didn't mention specifically Andy Murray's tennis coach)

Thank you so much, I appreciate that you are a teacher and obviously have lots to do!

I'm guessing but:
1) a) probably yes
d) doubt it
2)f) eggs from bio farmers would be a mark I think
4)a) I think they'd need you to be more specific
4)d) Not sure whether "be with" is enough...

and listening

2)C) No mark for that, it will have to be "their family"
d) I think this will be "little son" or "grandson" for the mark

6)a) tennis coach will be correct
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by b.leo
For the egg question I put free range not organic, do I get the mark?

I'm not too sure, but I'm erring on the side of yes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending