The Student Room Group

OCR Biology exam 17th may

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GoldLeader
Hi all,

I think we should start an unofficial mark scheme. Anybody with experience of writing one? Happy to contribute a lot as I have a photographic memory :smile:

I am willing to help, but to be honest I forgotten quite a few of the questions already.
Reply 21
For the male and female chromosomes i put 'X and Y'. That determines what sex you are...I dont know if there is a proper word for that but whatever, only one mark ay
Original post by m.zed28
Hey what did you guys get for the question about Ebola? Where the woman used a man's blood for treatment?

There is an article on the Independent that clearly the exam board got the question from as it is the same thing and pretty much has the answers in it. After reading it I'm not too sure that what I put was at all relevant but take a look at that for some ideas
Original post by tj164
For the male and female chromosomes i put 'X and Y'. That determines what sex you are...I dont know if there is a proper word for that but whatever, only one mark ay

I put that too, in the specification and revision guide there isn't a name for them really, just a way of describing them (I'm not sure if that makes sense, but hopefully you understand what I mean)
Reply 24
Original post by RosieBee37
There is an article on the Independent that clearly the exam board got the question from as it is the same thing and pretty much has the answers in it. After reading it I'm not too sure that what I put was at all relevant but take a look at that for some ideas

Hi can you please send me the link to that?
Reply 25
Original post by RosieBee37
I put that too, in the specification and revision guide there isn't a name for them really, just a way of describing them (I'm not sure if that makes sense, but hopefully you understand what I mean)

Yeah i get you, Somebody said something about Genotypes being included in the first question, The characteristics that you see are called phenotypes right?
Original post by GoldLeader
Hi all,

I think we should start an unofficial mark scheme. Anybody with experience of writing one? Happy to contribute a lot as I have a photographic memory :smile:

What did you get for the last question ? about the ancestors of A and B
Original post by Humaid00

I talked about how organism develop random mutations in their DNA, and since the DNA doesn't differ too much from the ancestors it suggests that enough time hasn't passed for the random mutations to alter the DNA.
Reply 28
Original post by Humaid00

A- D and F
B- C and E

Think that was right, Confident which makes me feel like its wrong xD
Lots of people seemed to struggle which means for the people who didn't boundaries should be lower.
Get an unofficial mark scheme going please
I put that aswell, but most people have put sex chromosomes lol
Reply 32
Original post by m.zed28
Hey what did you guys get for the question about Ebola? Where the woman used a man's blood for treatment?

In short, memory cells in his blood could be effective in fighting the virus in her blood. Ineffective due to the fact it's a virus and mutates quickly, chance of being effective is low, blood types could be different and ultimately cause her more problems, due to low levels of blood transferred unlikely to have much impact, cells likely to die.

(Don't know if any of that is right tbh)
Reply 33
Original post by catlol
In short, memory cells in his blood could be effective in fighting the virus in her blood. Ineffective due to the fact it's a virus and mutates quickly, chance of being effective is low, blood types could be different and ultimately cause her more problems, due to low levels of blood transferred unlikely to have much impact, cells likely to die.

(Don't know if any of that is right tbh)

Thanks. Haha it's a better answer than I gave.
Original post by HamzaIshtiaque
For the first 6 mark question regarding why twins are useful for scientist, I wrote the following points:
- I firstly described how twins are formed, so when a fertilised egg or zygote splits into 2 which continue to develop independently. I then linked this them both being genetically identical.
- The fact that they are genetically identical means that any changes must be due to their environment.
- This enables scientist to understand the affect of the environment on the human body and how it affects the characteristics.
- Some people may object to these experiments as it is unethical, reason being, there may be a risk towards those involved ( I was a bit confused for this point, let me know what you wrote for why people may consider it unethical).

What did you lot write for the question regarding the surgery that could reduce her chance of developing breast cancer?

I think the main thing u had to write about was epidemological studies and then relate it to the twins
Original post by haider96
i wrote hetrozygous by accident it was the pressure kicking in:colondollar:

i got this question wrong too, i completely blanked and wrote
'23rd pair xx and xy'
Original post by tj164
Yeah i get you, Somebody said something about Genotypes being included in the first question, The characteristics that you see are called phenotypes right?

Yeah that's right :smile: I hope chemistry went well

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending