The Student Room Group

What contributions have you made to your University community?

I'm trying to find out ideas about how people can make contributions to their University community and what this means?
Original post by similarBlank
I'm trying to find out ideas about how people can make contributions to their University community and what this means?

Peer mentoring is something that I've personally done, to help students in the year below settle down and give them some insight about the course/uni/living etc and to just be there to talk to.

Another thing is the different things that you can do through societies, like RAG, or doing sporting competitions, and there was even someone giving out free hugs on campus this semester on a few occasions, that was nice :tongue:
They pay about 9 grand a year to listen to someone speak in a lecture theatre
Reply 3

Be a student ambassador for open days.
Get involved with the Student Union.
Help out with charitable events.
Join the committee of a society.
Join a sports or other uni team.
Outreach activities where you go and work with the local community to help improve uni relations with the locals.

-Language ambassador encouraging secondary school students to take up MFL and to recognise their importance
-Teaching "uncommon" languages to secondary school students (Mandarin and Japanese)
-Acting as a language assistant in local schools for French and German
-Secretary and social secretary on the uni hip hop dance society
-Acted as a mentor for students lower down in the department going on their year abroad

They're the things I've done
If you enjoy writing, you can be a part of the university's student media outlet
I buy alcohol from the SU shop
....absolutely nothing. :erm:
Original post by SeanFM
Peer mentoring is something that I've personally done, to help students in the year below settle down and give them some insight about the course/uni/living etc and to just be there to talk to.

Another thing is the different things that you can do through societies, like RAG, or doing sporting competitions, and there was even someone giving out free hugs on campus this semester on a few occasions, that was nice :tongue:

What does RAG mean?
What does RAG mean?

Oops, it seems to be specific to my uni - it stands for 'raising and giving' - it's basically a charity society :tongue:
www.bathstudent.com/rag/
Original post by SeanFM
Oops, it seems to be specific to my uni - it stands for 'raising and giving' - it's basically a charity society :tongue:
www.bathstudent.com/rag/

Ah, that explains it! :smile:
I have paid 9 grand a year to have 1 hour contact time a week. I think I have contributed by wasting 4 years of my life in this strange institution.

So yes, I have contributed a fair amount.
Original post by Incongruous
I have paid 9 grand a year to have 1 hour contact time a week. I think I have contributed by wasting 4 years of my life in this strange institution.

So yes, I have contributed a fair amount.

I feel the same. I'm paying £10k, and it's not even worth it.
Original post by godofwine
I feel the same. I'm paying £10k, and it's not even worth it.

Mind you, I shall pay 11k for a Master's next year that has about 25 hours a week of contact time... In one year I will have more contact hours than 2-3 years of my undergraduate degree combined.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending