The Student Room Group

A level history help

Hey,

I'm currently beginning my A level History course which I am studying at home as I needed an extra a level however my school wouldn't allow me to do it due to starting it so late into the year so I've decided to pay for the course on this like open learning thing however I got told about the resources that I didn't need the additional books such as the text books and to use Wikipedia instead by my tutor.

Do those studying History at A level think I should buy the Aqa books or just use Wiki like he said?

I also got told that Wiki wasn't reliable and I shouldn't use it and therefore I am confused.

Thanks anyway :smile:
Wikipedia gets a bad rep but it can be very useful for reading around parts of your course, such as certain events. I wouldn't rely on it but it can be quite helpful. I don't do AQA but it sounds like a good idea to use books that are designed for your exam board as they should cover the topics you need to study, even if it isn't in complete detail. The most useful part of those kind of books is the exam tips they give you, things such as example answers, and questions etc.

History A-level has a lot of content so I would advise on using both to help you compile a solid set of notes. You should really go beyond this and do plenty of extra reading to help you understand everything, but obviously don't go about trying to study everything you can find as this won't help you!

I hope this helps, good luck with your course! I hope you work hard!
Original post by ArcticSlayer
Wikipedia gets a bad rep but it can be very useful for reading around parts of your course, such as certain events. I wouldn't rely on it but it can be quite helpful. I don't do AQA but it sounds like a good idea to use books that are designed for your exam board as they should cover the topics you need to study, even if it isn't in complete detail. The most useful part of those kind of books is the exam tips they give you, things such as example answers, and questions etc.

History A-level has a lot of content so I would advise on using both to help you compile a solid set of notes. You should really go beyond this and do plenty of extra reading to help you understand everything, but obviously don't go about trying to study everything you can find as this won't help you!

I hope this helps, good luck with your course! I hope you work hard!

Thank you!
Don't rely on Wikipedia

I've edited a lot of things on there because they weren't accurate (using official textbooks as my source)

Ideally, use both. Textbook to learn the course, Wikipedia for any additional information/clarification etc.

Quick Reply

Latest