The Student Room Group

OCR AS LAW - English Legal System

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I did; juries, police powers, sentencing, and criminal courts
Reply 21
Original post by RebeccaHollins
Anyone else think that paper was awful?

Terrible😫😫 since when does mode of trial and bail come up on the same paper. I concentrated on mode of trial thinking it would come up not bail and bail came up too. Would've been an easy question!!!!
Reply 22
Original post by mehraz124
Paper was okay ig. I ended up doing juries, sentencing, civil courts and police powers

Hi, what did you out for the juries question which ones did you say couldn't be selected?
Reply 23
Original post by Pinaaksl
Terrible😫😫 since when does mode of trial and bail come up on the same paper. I concentrated on mode of trial thinking it would come up not bail and bail came up too. Would've been an easy question!!!!

Hi, did you do the question on juries?
I feel like a muppet answering on arrest rather than detention....did the sampling bit though....8/18 if I am lucky....
Reply 25
Original post by Chloexxo
Hi, what did you out for the juries question which ones did you say couldn't be selected?

I said all 3 couldn't be selected, what did you put?
I did questions 1, 3, 4 and 7. Don't ask me what they were, I just remember doing them!

I was meant to be targeting a D, but I was personally after a C, so hopefully I got it.
Original post by jamesharrison654
Hey thats what i did aswell i think they were good can i ask for section b what did u talk about ?? (if u remember)

Original post by Chloexxo

Well for section B , there was the jury's question, along with the question of whether each of the 3 mentioned candidates are suitable for jury service or not. In addition to this there was the police powers question on detention and sampling as well as a scenario question to discuss the lawfulness of the situation

for 6a, you talk about the role of the juries, the composition and the process of the jury service. They decide whether the defendant is guilty or not guilty ( based on the total percentage of votes) in the criminal courts and they decide what damages are rewarded for the claimant based on the facts of the case in the civil courts.

for 6b, all 3 are disqualified from jury service as the first one( forgot his name xD) was related to the defendant and therefore it was a challenge for cause (R V Wilson). The second one served a 12 year custodial sentence and therefore they are disqualified for life ( she served a term of imprisonment or detention for more than 5 years). The last guy(forgot his name as well) is ineligible due to their health concerns.

for 7a, you talk about detention and samples, so you talk about:
summary offence- less than 24 hours,
indictable - 36 hours with permission from senior officer
for more than 36 hours, permission from a Magistrates court is required. This can go upto 96 hours. After, they must either be charged or released.
in cases related to terrorism, the detention can be extended to 14 days by a magistrate
individual rights, etc
also, you talk about sampling (intimate search, rights related to that, etc)

for 7a, you talk about the unlawfulness of the scenario:
defendant cannot be fully naked at one time - only half the clothing can be removed at any one time
she was 16 ( being 17 or under/ being mentally challenged or mentally vulnerable requires an appropriate adult with them, in this case it could've been a legal guardian )
8 hours straight without a break for the interview is unlawful - regular breaks and refreshments must be provided
intimate search - must be authorised for an intimate search if there is reason to believe defendant has an item which could cause harm to themselves or others, or in possession of a Class A drug. The two police officers just did the intimate search without authorisation , thus it should be carried out by a verified doctor or nurse of the same sex.

I think I didn't do that well on this so I'm focusing my all on the Fridays exam ( G152)

Hope that answers your question (:
(edited 7 years ago)
I did sentencing and mode of trial ok, then totally guessed bail and detention as I just briefly read over them when doing revision :frown: I dropped juries and I hated appeals, couldn't get my head around it so there was nothing really else I could of done, and my teacher dropped the funding topic anyway, hope I have done good enough to atleast get a B from my mode of trial and sentencing, but we will have to see :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending