The Student Room Group

Do you believe in God?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Defraction
Evolution is false because scientists argue there is no proof of it.

Wait, what?!

Sorry, I was under the impression I was talking to an intellectual theist. I'm done arguing with you.
No I don't and I never have.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The closest I've come to believing in God was when I played RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 and made a roller coaster that went straight up then suddenly ended leaving the passengers flying through the air to their deaths, at that moment, I thought I might be God.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ameehannah
Well it is my belief that God was not created per se but has, and always will exist, in other words he has /always/ existed. I think that's the part that many non believers and even believers, including myself, struggle to get their head around.
Also how do you believe that say the first living cell/ particle was created? How can something come out of nothing? What existed before that? Surely this is similar to the whole who created god ordeal. Idk man the whole thing is mind blowing to think about

Science doesn't have a definitive explanation for it either. There are loads of theories, but I'm a student who's currently doing their GCSEs, not someone with PHDs in physics so I'm not nearly qualified to explain them, there will be loads of stuff on the internet if you're interested. (though the creation of a living cell isn't so mysterious)

Anyway, this is I think the main way in which science and religion differ. Science says we don't know, but we will keep searching for the answer and in the future we will find it.
Religion however doesn't seek to explain it but just makes up an explanation and gives some terrible reasoning for it and leaves it at that.
Well it is my belief that God was not created per se but has, and always will exist, in other words he has /always/ existed. I think that's the part that many non believers and even believers, including myself, struggle to get their head around.

Intelligent design in the universe doesn't necessarily imply this though. It might imply intelligence behind the universe, and that in itself is a pretty big leap, but to then think you can decide the entire nature of the intelligent entity purely based on the fact that the universe has something that resembles order to you is ridiculous mental gymnastics.

Also how do you believe that say the first living cell/ particle was created? How can something come out of nothing? What existed before that? Surely this is similar to the whole who created god ordeal. Idk man the whole thing is mind blowing to think about

There's a bunch of theories about how the first living thing came to be. I'd give that one a google if I were you.

You're asking how something can come out of nothing while simultaneously believing in something that has apparently always existed, which is equally mind blowing to think about. If I knew anything about advanced quantum mechanics I'd probably be able to somehow explain the whole something from nothing thing but now I'm going into a tangent I know nothing about.
Original post by BristolFresher15
Wait, what?!

Sorry, I was under the impression I was talking to an intellectual theist. I'm done arguing with you.

From their (using their as a non-gender-specific singular here) posts, it seems like although they are relatively intelligent, however extremely ignorant on everything to do with evolution.
Reply 126
Original post by TheBirder
And the probability that a being that is complex enough to design that just came into existence is infinitesimally smaller.
More details in 'The God Delusion' by Dr Richard Dawkins.

The omnipotence, omnipresence, etc., of God means that He never 'came into existence'. He always existed, and will continue to exist.
Science doesn't have a definitive explanation for it either. There are loads of theories, but I'm a student who's currently doing their GCSEs, not someone with PHDs in physics so I'm not nearly qualified to explain them, there will be loads of stuff on the internet if you're interested. (though the creation of a living cell isn't so mysterious)

Anyway, this is I think the main way in which science and religion differ. Science says we don't know, but we will keep searching for the answer and in the future we will find it.
Religion however doesn't seek to explain it but just makes up an explanation and gives some terrible reasoning for it and leaves it at that.

Well to me religion and science work together to give in my opinion the "true picture". I and quite a number of Christians believe that God USED the Big Bang et voilà problem solved, hence giving logical reasoning that science alone or religion alone can't provide
Original post by JM999
The omnipotence, omnipresence, etc., of God means that He never 'came into existence'. He always existed, and will continue to exist.

This is the point that I simply don't understand. That is illogical and not possible.
I believe in Schopenhauer's concept of "the will", but no actual God or anything.
No. And anyone who does is degenerate or seriously retarded.
Well to me religion and science work together to give in my opinion the "true picture". I and quite a number of Christians believe that God USED the Big Bang et voilà problem solved, hence giving logical reasoning that science alone or religion alone can't provide

Yep, that is a fair point, and if you are prepared to disregard all of your ideas of God when science finds a better explanation then that's a reasonable point of view.
I don't really see the point in making up an explanation though, in my opinion it's simply easier to say: 'we don't know yet, and I can't wait to find out!'
Original post by JM999

Proof? why is that even something you would think.
Consider this, the odds I am a God, to you what are they?
not worth considering right? you have no way of proving otherwise and the leap is just the same yet you believe there is another being with such abilities that you've never seen or talked to, and the reason?
a feeling x religious text, both which give no actual evidence.
(edited 7 years ago)
Yep, that is a fair point, and if you are prepared to disregard all of your ideas of God when science finds a better explanation then that's a reasonable point of view.
I don't really see the point in making up an explanation though, in my opinion it's simply easier to say: 'we don't know yet, and I can't wait to find out!'

Regardless my beliefs stand firmly. I don't think science will ever find a better explanation. But hey we have differing opinions and that's fine 😄
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 134
This is the point that I simply don't understand. That is illogical and not possible.

Why? God created, and exists outside of, time and is therefore not affected by it. The problem you posed is only applicable to a material being, not a transcendent being that exists in neither time nor space

Also, what do you believe about objective morality?
We all believe (or should believe) that killing 6 million Jews during World War II was morally wrong. However, if the Nazis had successfully taken over Europe and convinced us that it was ok to commit this genocide, would it still be morally wrong?

And what caused Big Bang, when according to the laws of physics and the conservation of mass, there would need to be some source of energy to start the Big Bang? What was this force?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by KingBradly
I believe in Schopenhauer's concept of "the will", but no actual God or anything.

Very fascinating i just had a read about that and it seems very interesting, any books about him you would recommend.

Do you have any opinions on Nietzsche? as I believe in quite a few of his ideas or at least like them
Original post by Defraction
There is evidence- look around you. Is it not a sheer fact that a tree has been designed, everything in nature has a purpose and this purpose couldn't have happened by chance. As the famous saying states: "Everything happens for a reason"- a reason that only a divine, transcendent being knows. We, as human beings, are too ignorant and selfish to actually know what the reason is. We see things in black and white, and evidently assume that the world is continuous process

So, when we die, do you think we just die and that's it. Don't you think that the existence of evil and suffering, both moral and natural evil, and the fact that we have free will show that there must be a hidden reason for so. Why would we have free will if all of us were going to die and that's it. Surely, free will is a 'test'.
Why would we have free will and we have the freedom to kill anyone we like as well as natural disasters killing us freely if life is not a test.

Evidently, you disregarding a divine being is slightly stupid to be honest. It's obvious a divine being is evident as how can we explain the sheer beauty of the world if there is no God. Obviously, we have different conceptions of a 'God' and you would probably assume God would exist if there was no evil and suffering but evil and suffering is a test, an evident obstacle.

Let's say the world was all perfect (and dull) as evil and suffering doesn't exist. How will we develop our qualities? A person withdrawing an obstacle of life(evil and suffering) will help them develop those necessary qualities. But, of course, we have different definitions of evil and suffering as an individual.

God does exist but His nature is ultimately up to you and how you think he is to be.

If there is a god why did he give the bullies at my school free will to make my life absolute hell, yes hell, for 5 years?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AperfectBalance
Very fascinating i just had a read about that and it seems very interesting, any books about him you would recommend.

Do you have any opinions on Nietzsche? as I believe in quite a few of his ideas or at least like them

Just read a few of his essays. On ethics, suicide, slavery and Eastern philosophy he's really interesting. Just don't read any of his opinions of the female sex; it's really incredible how bad his arguments are for this subject.

I've learnt a lot about Nietzsche, but never actually got round to reading him, so I can't really comment. I certainly get the whole nihilism thing though.
Original post by JM999
Why? God created, and exists outside of, time and is therefore not affected by it. The problem you posed is only applicable to a material being, not a transcendent being that exists in neither time nor space

And what caused Big Bang, when according to the laws of physics and the conservation of mass, there would need to be some source of energy to start the Big Bang? What was this force?

"God created, and exists outside of, time and is therefore not affected by it." That's just an assertion , what makes you believe that? You can't have something that exists outside of time and space (or maybe you can, maybe science will find something that exists outside of time and space, some sort of weird matter or something, but it (almost certainly) won't be an intelligent being like the god of any religion)

As for what caused the Big Bang, science hasn't found out yet. It may be decades or even centuries until it does, and we as a species may be wiped out long before then, but just making up some sort of god because you can't explain it any other way is stupid.

Original post by JM999
Also, what do you believe about objective morality?We all believe (or should believe) that killing 6 million Jews during World War II was morally wrong. However, if the Nazis had successfully taken over Europe and convinced us that it was ok to commit this genocide, would it still be morally wrong?
We have evolved a system of morality to benefit us as a species of social primate. I think there are certain ideas that are ingrained in us as part of our evolutionary heritage. And besides, different cultures and different points in time had different ideas of what counts as murder and what is morally wrong. For example, a few hundreds of years ago, slavery was considered acceptable and in the future who knows what our opinions on things like killing intelligent animals will be. Maybe in a few hundred years we will look at the mass slaughter of animals for food similarly to how we look at the Nazi genocide.
Original post by davidguettafan
If there is a god why did he give the bullies at my school free will to make my life absolute hell, yes hell, for 5 years?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well clearly if there is a God he doesn't give a **** about you.
And also, what kind of a person punishes people by making them burn in eternity for not believing in them. I would not be as cruel as that, if someone came up to me and told me they didn't believe in me and they weren't going to devote their entire life to worshiping me and living in fear of me, I would not make them burn in Hell. Therefore, I am a nicer person that God.

“The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." - Richard Dawkins

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending