The Student Room Group

Anyone else applying for GEM (Graduate Entry Medicine) after their undergraduate?

As I have no science A Levels (and a degree which does not fulfill the scientific criteria for Medicine), I am hoping to apply to:

St George's
Newcastle
Nottingham
Swansea (though post-GCSE science, while not essential, is "desirable", so I might need to look into that!)
Warwick
RCSI (Perhaps)
Limerick (Perhaps)
UCD (Perhaps)

Anyway, just thought I'd start this thread to see if anyone else is thinking of applying too! :biggrin: I will have to do the GAMSAT and UKCAT in order to apply of course, so I'm already putting my revision for those together!

I am currently in second year, but am planning to perhaps *attempt" GAM/UKCAT (and hopefully not receive a completely woeful mark) during my third year of University, whilst building up my work experience further. I do have experience with adults with Asperger's, children and disabled teenagers, but I will aim to get some care-home work experience and more targeted experience too!

Alternatively, does anyone else have any experience of GEM applications to these particular universities, or in general? :biggrin: any advice/fellow future applicants welcome to comment!
Reply 1
Original post by neurocaneuro
As I have no science A Levels (and a degree which does not fulfill the scientific criteria for Medicine), I am hoping to apply to:

St George's
Newcastle
Nottingham
Swansea (though post-GCSE science, while not essential, is "desirable", so I might need to look into that!)
Warwick
RCSI (Perhaps)
Limerick (Perhaps)
UCD (Perhaps)

Anyway, just thought I'd start this thread to see if anyone else is thinking of applying too! :biggrin: I will have to do the GAMSAT and UKCAT in order to apply of course, so I'm already putting my revision for those together!

I am currently in second year, but am planning to perhaps *attempt" GAM/UKCAT (and hopefully not receive a completely woeful mark) during my third year of University, whilst building up my work experience further. I do have experience with adults with Asperger's, children and disabled teenagers, but I will aim to get some care-home work experience and more targeted experience too!

Alternatively, does anyone else have any experience of GEM applications to these particular universities, or in general? :biggrin: any advice/fellow future applicants welcome to comment!

Yeah I'm hoping to apply this year for 2017 start, but to be honest I feels it's all a bit of a pipe dream because the chances of getting in a so small. I completed a History BA last year and currently have no science A levels, but am having a last minute debate as to whether to take AS Chem, but would still be applying to the places you've listed above. I'm defo aiming to to UCKAT and probs GAMSAT this year as well. If you do do the UKCAT I would suggest doing it early so that you know what mark you have to play with.
Reply 2
Original post by abcd13
Yeah I'm hoping to apply this year for 2017 start, but to be honest I feels it's all a bit of a pipe dream because the chances of getting in a so small. I completed a History BA last year and currently have no science A levels, but am having a last minute debate as to whether to take AS Chem, but would still be applying to the places you've listed above. I'm defo aiming to to UCKAT and probs GAMSAT this year as well. If you do do the UKCAT I would suggest doing it early so that you know what mark you have to play with.

Oh god I know, the competition is so stiff! But a history BA is such a great degree, and definitely don't give up on your dream if medicine is what you want to do :biggrin: yes I'm revising for the UKCAT and GAMSAT extensively over the summer, but I probably won't sit them until next year (the final year of my degree, Experimental Psychology). I've had a lot of work experience in mental health but I'm aiming to get some hospital experience too :smile: have you had any work experience yet?
Reply 3
Oh god I know, the competition is so stiff! But a history BA is such a great degree, and definitely don't give up on your dream if medicine is what you want to do :biggrin: yes I'm revising for the UKCAT and GAMSAT extensively over the summer, but I probably won't sit them until next year (the final year of my degree, Experimental Psychology). I've had a lot of work experience in mental health but I'm aiming to get some hospital experience too :smile: have you had any work experience yet?

Ahh cool, sounds like you're on track and gunna be well prepared by the time you take the exams. I've done a fair amount of work experience- 8 weeks shadowing different doctors and then have been working as an HCA since Jan, but there'll always been someone that has done more. Good luck with the rest of your degree
Reply 4
Original post by abcd13
Ahh cool, sounds like you're on track and gunna be well prepared by the time you take the exams. I've done a fair amount of work experience- 8 weeks shadowing different doctors and then have been working as an HCA since Jan, but there'll always been someone that has done more. Good luck with the rest of your degree

Ah cheers man! That's so much WE, I do need to do some more during my final year for sure :smile: your personal statement will certainly be strong!
Hey! I just posted a thread here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4093203 then just saw this thread haha!
I am also thinking of applying for GEM after my degree (Biomed, 1st year currently) and I've got a blog at frompentoscalpel.wordpress.com to detail my journey. Do yous have anything similar regarding your journey at all? I'd love to meet people in the same boat as me, it's pretty crap having to go through such a tough process alone!

Original post by abcd13
x

x
Reply 6
Original post by alfresco_
Hey! I just posted a thread here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4093203 then just saw this thread haha!
I am also thinking of applying for GEM after my degree (Biomed, 1st year currently) and I've got a blog at frompentoscalpel.wordpress.com to detail my journey. Do yous have anything similar regarding your journey at all? I'd love to meet people in the same boat as me, it's pretty crap having to go through such a tough process alone!

Ah congrats! With biomed you'll certainly have a greater choice of universities than I do :colondollar: Oh god I know right, I'm already nervous even though I'm applying next year! Where you thinking of applying? :biggrin: I never thought about doing a blog actually, I doubt any blog of mine would be particularly interesting :P but I'm so glad to meet someone else doing the same as me! How's your WE going? I've got a fair bit of mental health volunteering, one organisation for three years, but I'm applying for a hospital job (as a "meal-time assistant, woohoo). I reckon if I have a year's worth of that under my belt too that should hopefully suffice :P I'm also looking into applying abroad as well at the same time (just as a back-up), as it's not through UCAS. Did you go for med before your undergrad degree?
Ah congrats! With biomed you'll certainly have a greater choice of universities than I do :colondollar: Oh god I know right, I'm already nervous even though I'm applying next year! Where you thinking of applying? :biggrin: I never thought about doing a blog actually, I doubt any blog of mine would be particularly interesting :P but I'm so glad to meet someone else doing the same as me! How's your WE going? I've got a fair bit of mental health volunteering, one organisation for three years, but I'm applying for a hospital job (as a "meal-time assistant, woohoo). I reckon if I have a year's worth of that under my belt too that should hopefully suffice :P I'm also looking into applying abroad as well at the same time (just as a back-up), as it's not through UCAS. Did you go for med before your undergrad degree?

Ah yeah you say that, but then it's so generic, everyone does it! Experimental Psychology sounds pretty cool and honestly, with graduates they look for the weirdest, randomest mix of people. I'm thinking of Newcastle/Southampton/Warwick/some BMAT unis. Really trying to avoid GAMSAT... haven't looked into exact unis much actually, will need to research who will take me with my A-level grades and then actually decide whether I'm applying for only 4-year or 5-year too. UKCAT is so not my strong point but meh, might as well. Have you already taken the UKCAT/BMAT/GAMSAT before? As practice?

I would strongly encourage you to blog, doesn't even have to be public! I've only put up a couple posts but it's making me more motivated and gets everything down in one place whilst also relating to others in the same position as me.

My work experience is okay I guess? I honestly don't know how to gauge it, you tell me, I always feel like I'm not doing enough/the right things because people keep telling me how you need this, you need that for Medicine :frown: It's on my blog. You can get a mealtime assistant job in a hospital?!?! I've done that for free so far volunteering! haha. I'm just trying to earn as much money as possible too actually, just in case I end up deciding on 5-year courses. How old are you if you don't mind me asking?

Yes I applied in my gap year in 2014, got 2 interviews, BMAT/no entrance exam unis though as UKCAT didn't go well. Interviews I panicked in so didn't get offers in the end unfortunately. What about yourself?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending