The Student Room Group

2016 AQA Biology Unit 1 - Unofficial Mark scheme 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nik123Efimov
Guys , I put a whole mark scheme together. If u want it send me a whatsapp or tweet me. +447712123002. Or @PlaysNik
Btw check out #aqabiology

👆👆
Original post by SunnyBoys
This hasn't got much to do with this exam but why is a response from the brain quicker than the response through the spine. I automatically placed spine as the fastest response as when you have a reflex, it does not go to the brain but through the spine with the relay neurone (I know I was wrong but just want to understand why)

I think it's one mark for one fewer synapse to cross (because the chemical bit is much slower than the electrical bit) and one mark for the fact that the neurons are much shorter (12cm in brain vs 80cm in spinal cord)

Original post by z_o_e
I wrote lichens.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sadly not an animal
Original post by saad.ash
hmm, PM it please

On what ?
Is lichens wrong??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SunnyBoys
This hasn't got much to do with this exam but why is a response from the brain quicker than the response through the spine. I automatically placed spine as the fastest response as when you have a reflex, it does not go to the brain but through the spine with the relay neurone (I know I was wrong but just want to understand why)

cos brain doesnt use relay
For the GM mosquitoes pros and cons, I stated ethical positives as less people suffer and economical positives as less money is spent on treatment. Are these valid points for the advantages?
Thanks
@Cirsium
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ammara-123
Is lichens wrong??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Think so. I wrote lichens.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is lichens wrong??
Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, because lichens are not animals

Original post by haarithiop
cos brain doesnt use relay

True, but that's given in the question so restating it won't get you the mark. You need to explain why that makes it faster - i.e. the synapse is the bit that slows it down.
Original post by Cirsium
I think it's one mark for one fewer synapse to cross (because the chemical bit is much slower than the electrical bit) and one mark for the fact that the neurons are much shorter (12cm in brain vs 80cm in spinal cord)

Sadly not an animal

thats wrong. you cant say about length because question was talking about average distance travelled per second
one mention of enzymes - for cutting out or putting in should be enough, only 3 marks

1 mark for ) cut out gene
2nd mark for) using enzymes
3rd mark for) put in chromosome of other organism

Hey I think the third mark would be for inserting it into the Dna of the other organism "at an early stage of development/as an embryo". That's what a mark scheme for similar question taught me anyway.
Original post by Cirsium
Yes, because lichens are not animals

True, but that's given in the question so restating it won't get you the mark. You need to explain why that makes it faster - i.e. the synapse is the bit that slows it down.

i did write that lol. i just thought thats what he/she asked for
Original post by ConfusedSnowball
Hey I think the third mark would be for inserting it into the Dna of the other organism "at an early stage of development/as an embryo". That's what a mark scheme for similar question taught me anyway.

chromosomes made of dna, same thing
Original post by z_o_e
Think so. I wrote lichens.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So did I!😭

Posted from TSR Mobile
thats wrong. you cant say about length because question was talking about average distance travelled per second

Hmm I guess you're right. I just can't figure out what the second marking point will be for then. Maybe one for saying that there'll be one fewer synapse and one for saying that the synapses are the slowest part of the arc?
Original post by Cirsium
Hmm I guess you're right. I just can't figure out what the second marking point will be for then. Maybe one for saying that there'll be one fewer synapse and one for saying that the synapses are the slowest part of the arc?

yep thats essentially what i put

1) to pass through neurone an extra synapse has to be crossed
2) synapse slower as chemical

something like that
Original post by charliej2802
Anyone else get 0.67%???

It was 6.6?
What was the malaria mean??

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got 0.6 recurring
Hey, guys can you send me the mark scheme for Chemistry paper on Thursday, please? cause I need to check my answers.
I did too!
Original post by Haashym

I'm pretty sure it was 0.6%

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending