The Student Room Group

Why do leftists love Islam?

Why do they love Islam so much that they shrug their shoulders when its followers rape women in the street? Why do they have the attitude of "it's just their culture man" when Muslims behead gays? Just wondering. Why is it OK for Muslims to act like this but it's not OK for non-Muslims to wear shirts with naughty cartoon pictures of ladies on it?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KingBradly
Why do they love Islam so much that they shrug their shoulders when its followers rape women in the street? Why do they have the attitude of "it's just their culture man" when Muslims behead gays? Just wondering. Why is it OK for Muslims to act like this but it's not OK for non-Muslims to wear shirts with naughty cartoon pictures of ladies on it?

Haha yes its the dumbest **** ever.

Whenever a Muslim rapes someone or throws a gay off a roof leftists love to come to their defense and remind everyone 'its not all Muslims' but love to accuse all white men as being rapists. I suppose it just shows how stupid and ignorant they are of how backwards the Muslim world is.
Reply 2
Original post by LordPenguinz

Whenever a Muslim rapes someone or throws a gay off a roof leftists love to come to their defense and remind everyone 'its not all Muslims' but love to accuse all white men as being rapists. I suppose it just shows how stupid and ignorant they are of how backwards the Muslim world is.

It's either "it's not all Muslims" or it's "they just don't understand our culture!" or "their culture is just different to ours!" or "actually this is the West's fault because (insert absurdity here)"
Original post by KingBradly

I don't think it's right to generalize a group of people like you've done. Most muslims are peaceful and don't behave like that.
Reply 4
Are you accusing "leftists" of being apologists for actual murderers and rapists? Or just of being quick to point out that it is unfair to judge over a billion people on the actions and beliefs of some?
Original post by godofwine
I don't think it's right to generalize a group of people like you've done. Most muslims are peaceful and don't behave like that.

The thing is though even without Islamist extremists like IS, being gay is still punishable by death in Muslim countries like Iran and Saudi Arabia. The way women are treated in those countries also is atrocious and is only made worst by the extremists.
Original post by godofwine

While obviously not all Muslims are evil gay hating Terrorist oppressors there are a larger quanitity that many other religions and it is a big problem as many high up people in Islamic countries are crazy.

A few years ago when a draw muhammed day happened many people died and 10000's rioted all over a drawing.

showing muhammed on tv is seen as way to offensive and it is quite frankly stupid.
If on tv I depicted Jesus having gay sex or the Buddha at a buffet eating all the food people may kindly complain but would not go and riot and kill people.
Reply 7
Original post by LordPenguinz

this
Reply 8
It's quite obvious:

1. They are in desperate need to do good.
2. They are in desperate need to accept all people.
3. Islam's followers are seen in a bad light.

Now put those together and they can be the "white knight" but in real life. They can say "oh look at me, I am defending these people, I am the moral good guy". They go to bed thinking "I have done so much good today".
Reply 9
Because Islam is a modern all-loving embracing religion. Open and tolerant, with a far superior culture. It practically induces white-shame.
Reply 10
Don't mind me, I'm just here to give the average IQ of this thread a little boost :wink:
Reply 11
Original post by offhegoes
Are you accusing "leftists" of being apologists for actual murderers and rapists? Or just of being quick to point out that it is unfair to judge over a billion people on the actions and beliefs of some?

Why? Where does this "beliefs of some" come from?

Look at pretty much every single ****ing majority Muslim country in the world and you will see that it discriminates, on the grounds of religion, against certain groups of people, in particular women and gays.

Stop promoting this lie that only a few hold these views. These are wide spread. And that is the problem. Stop living in denial. Europe is going to turn into a **** hole if millions of these people come and don't find jobs and sit around all day hating life and living out what old Muhammed told them is acceptable.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by inhuman
Why? Where does this "beliefs of some" come from?

Look at pretty much every single ****ing majority Muslim country in the world and you will see that it discriminates, on the grounds of religion, against certain groups of people, in particular women and gays.

Stop promoting this lie that only a few hold these views. These are wide spread. And that is the problem. Stop living in denial. Europe is going to turn into a **** hole if millions of these people come and don't find jobs and sit around all day hating life and living out what old Muhammed told them is acceptable.

Every single country in the world discriminates against against some group of people for some reason for another. Pretty much every Christian organisation in the world discriminates. The issue with Islam is that many of these Muslim-majority countries have not shaken the state and law free from religious doctrine. It isn't all that long ago that many Christian countries also discriminated in such a way. These countries need to change, but Islam itself is not the issue.

Islam is just a relgion, like Buddhist, Christianity, Judaism.

People make their religion violent or peaceful.
Reply 13
I'll have you know that I'm a leftie libertarian according to various quizzes and I don't love Islam, omg stop stereotyping, bigot

Anyhow to be honest it's pretty much what inhuman first said
Every single country in the world discriminates against against some group of people for some reason for another. Pretty much every Christian organisation in the world discriminates.

Seems like whataboutery.

The issue with Islam is that many of these Muslim-majority countries have not shaken the state and law free from religious doctrine.
Presumably, this is what you recommend?

It isn't all that long ago that many Christian countries also discriminated in such a way. These countries need to change, but Islam itself is not the issue.
Presumably you are for the support of the LGBT community? If so, then you must surely acknowledge that Islam (or interpretations of it) are responsible for the contempt and persecution homosexuals can face in many Muslim majority countries; From a popular and reputable Islamic cite amongst many Muslims...

"The crime of homosexuality is one of the greatest of crimes, the worst of sins and the most abhorrent of deeds, and Allaah punished those who did it in a way that He did not punish other nations...The Sahaabah were unanimously agreed on the execution of homosexuals, but they differed as to how they were to be executed..."

https://islamqa.info/en/38622

Islam is just a relgion, like Buddhist, Christianity, Judaism.People make their religion violent or peaceful.

Not If the violence can be justifiable via Islamic scripture, which depending on who the victims are i.e. intimate homosexuals, apostates, blasphemers, captives, those who oppose Islam etc, yes Islam (or interpretations of it) can promote violence to groups of people, you may wish to defend.

Also here's a map indicating where homosexual acts are to be punished, it seems to cover most Muslim majority countries (I'm willing to bet, they are influenced via the the contempt and justifications of the persecution of homosexuals present in Islamic scripture)...https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2014/02/24/here-are-the-10-countries-where-homosexuality-may-be-punished-by-death
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Emperor Trajan
Seems like whataboutery.

Presumably, this is what you recommend?

Presumably you are for the support of the LGBT community? If so, then you must surely acknowledge that Islam (or interpretations of it) are responsible for the contempt and persecution homosexuals can face in many Muslim majority countries; From a popular and reputable Islamic cite amongst many Muslims...

https://islamqa.info/en/38622

Not If the violence can be justifiable via Islamic scripture, which depending on who the victims are i.e. intimate homosexuals, apostates, blasphemers, etc, yes Islam (or interpretations of it) can promote violence to groups of people, you may wish to defend.

Also here's a map indicating where homosexual acts to be punished, it seems to cover most Muslim majority countries (I'm willing to bet, they justify their contempt and persecution of homosexuals via Islamic scripture)...https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2014/02/24/here-are-the-10-countries-where-homosexuality-may-be-punished-by-death

Let's keep this simple. As you correctly surmised, I believe that throughout history persecution occurs most frequently and violently where the state and religion are strongly bound together, hence I advocate them being separated.

Pretty much every major religion has scripture and teachings that can and have been used to justify discrimination and hatred. In my opinion Islam itself is no more violent than Christianity.

Clearly currently many Muslim countries are run in such a way that Islam is used to justify atrocities and injustice. Had the last millenium unfolded differently it could just as easily been progressive Middle Eastern Muslim countries looking with disdain at barbaric Christian countries in the West.

Yes some of these countries alarm me. But for me that is not an issue of Islam itself.
Let's keep this simple. As you correctly surmised, I believe that throughout history persecution occurs most frequently and violently where the state and religion are strongly bound together, hence I advocate them being separated.

Pretty much every major religion has scripture and teachings that can and have been used to justify discrimination and hatred. In my opinion Islam itself is no more violent than Christianity.

Clearly currently many Muslim countries are run in such a way that Islam is used to justify atrocities and injustice. Had the last millenium unfolded differently it could just as easily been progressive Middle Eastern Muslim countries looking with disdain at barbaric Christian countries in the West.

Yes some of these countries alarm me.But for me that is not an issue of Islam itself.

I'm going to have disagree there, somewhat atleast. I'm opposed to certain interpretations of Islam, because of their contribution to human suffering, often the victims being viewed as homosexuals, apostates, blasphemers, slaves/sex slaves and those critical of and in opposition to Islam etc, often justifying their persecution via revered Islamic scripture and role models (Muhammad and the Sahaba). So for me that is an issue with Islam or an interpretation of it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Emperor Trajan
I'm going to have disagree there, somewhat atleast. I'm opposed to certain interpretations of Islam, because of their contribution to human suffering, often the victims being viewed as homosexuals, apostates, blasphemers, slaves/sex slaves and those critical of and in opposition to Islam etc, often justifying their persecution via revered Islamic scripture and role models (Muhammad and the Sahaba). So for me that is an issue with Islam or an interpretation of it.

For me that would be an issue with religion in general, which I would certainly understand. Sadly humanity on the whole has never quite got the hang of taking religion wholly as a force for good, and for peace!
There's an interesting book by a lefty called Nick Cohen which examines the subject of the left losing its moral compass over radical Islam.

Worth a read...

http://www.amazon.com/Whats-Left-How-Lost-its/dp/0007229704
Reply 19
The left have a strange relationship with Islam, they see beauty in it, they defend it, they always work to promote it. It's as if we have had a reversal in the parties. Right wingers, especially most I know don't even associate with religion anymore, left wingers on the other hand associate with Islam and Islamic terrorism on a grand scale

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending