The Student Room Group

Muslim family encouraging marriage

So I got a few issues at the moment

I'm 21 living in London at university and doing casual work, live alone in my flat etc

Problem is my family especially my mum who lives abroad wants me to get married but the problem with that is I don't have time to find someone but they have someone already for me.

This brings me to the other dilemma, I don't think that this person is going to be compatible for me but if they are then the family is going to ask for around 20 grand+ for wedding which is a joke

What should I do?

Ps. I'm not Asian
meet up with her, you never know she may be really down to earth. my friend is due to get married because of my matchmaking skills but they are having a cheap wedding etc so she may not be materialistic...

also do you not have weekends free to get to know them. besides (im muslims too js) you have a right to say ya or nah to the girl, make you parents understand your situation and if they still want you to meet the girl and dont like her tell them cos its better hating her for 1 hr rather than 50 years mate

also if youre not asian what are you?
Reply 2
Original post by sfaraj
meet up with her, you never know she may be really down to earth. my friend is due to get married because of my matchmaking skills but they are having a cheap wedding etc so she may not be materialistic...

also do you not have weekends free to get to know them. besides (im muslims too js) you have a right to say ya or nah to the girl, make you parents understand your situation and if they still want you to meet the girl and dont like her tell them cos its better hating her for 1 hr rather than 50 years mate

also if youre not asian what are you?

Half Arab half African, all the weddings that my family had are ridiculously expensive and I'm not taking loans to pay for a wedding. That's me being straight up honest. I'm already 40k debt because of uni so yeah
Original post by Anonymous
Half Arab half African, all the weddings that my family had are ridiculously expensive and I'm not taking loans to pay for a wedding. That's me being straight up honest. I'm already 40k debt because of uni so yeah

ahhh okay im 100% arab but anyway, yeah i get what you mean they can be unbelievably expensive. um how about you explain this to your parents cos there is noway they should make you get married when (no offence) you have to sort yourself out and already finding life a pain. youre also quite young to get married...
Reply 4
Original post by sfaraj
ahhh okay im 100% arab but anyway, yeah i get what you mean they can be unbelievably expensive. um how about you explain this to your parents cos there is noway they should make you get married when (no offence) you have to sort yourself out and already finding life a pain. youre also quite young to get married...

Already explained that to them several times but no luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending