The Student Room Group

Petition to aqa to lower the grade boundaries.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by randomperson11
Sign this too, we need an apology.
https://www.change.org/p/aqa-apologise-aqa

signed.
Sorry, but this is pointless, the grade boundaries are adjusted in order to ensure the same percentage of candidates get A*'s, A's, B's etc each year, if everyone across the country found the exam hard the grade boundaries will automatically be lowered anyway.
Original post by AGBF
June 2015 for a B was 95
Nov 2015 for a B was 98

Every little helps

If you say so.
Guys if we compile a group email and send it to AQA they may read it and take it into account! x
I've signed it. I cried about 5 times after that exam. My biology teacher was so heart broken because he taught us so well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wow nearly 10k in an hour.But do these petitions works lol,did it work for Edexcel last year

I would totally support but this petition will not change anything.
I'm afraid I have to disagree. It's vital that after this kind of event, AQA and similar organisations feel the pain of their incompetence. Do I expect the petition to make a change? No. Does such a petition mean that more schools will hear about the issue, and next year choose to use a different exam board instead? Yes. Companies like AQA only care about the money they get from schools; a public embarrassment like this will cause them to lose business, which will persuade them and others to take these issues seriously.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Den1ydOLkeU saw this funny vid on youtube. i swear every exam there is a Hitler video.
Original post by AGBF
Lol you chill just cuz your cohort had the easy gcses.

There is NO mention of independent company in the spec or textbook.Finished.Go check mate :smile:.

Ermm... I sat this paper yesterday actually! And just because something wasn't explicitly stated in the spec doesn't mean they can't ask a question - in fact it was reasonable as we are supposed to learn about bias and drugs testing.

I feel that this paper WAS completely focused on the science we have been learning for the past 2 years, it just needed us to apply our knowledge and prove that we GET biology rather than just being able to memorise the facts - I suppose they're trying to toughen up a bit with those who learn the facts. So there was nothing massively unreasonable about the paper in my opinion 😂
Original post by tammio
Why do you want an apology?

How dare they make you think!

Thank you! Someone who gets it 😂 Why should the exam just be a little quiz on each topic?! The whole point is to check we understand biology and how to apply it - if you got a job in biology, they aren't going to tell you the textbook topic for each task you do are they?

AQA have done nothing wrong - it was all very much linked to the spec. I did this paper and although at first the questions look weird, I realised they were just topics being presented differently.
You guys don't realise that grade boundaries are based on how everyone does. If everyone has done crap, they'll be low anyway. They don't decide what the grade boundaries are going to be before they mark, only after they mark. If the top marks were; lets say 50% - then an A* would be 50%.
Reply 92
Original post by AGBF
June 2015 for a B was 95
Nov 2015 for a B was 98

Every little helps

Did this 98 include the mark we got in the controlled assessment?
Original post by sara_wbu1
I've signed it. I cried about 5 times after that exam. My biology teacher was so heart broken because he taught us so well

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds a bit arrogant if he thinks he "taught you so well" but you struggled in the exam.
Reply 94
Welcome to "I found the paper hard it must be the Exam boards fault"

Nothing really wrong with papers even the questions that were not really all too biology or whatnot related, it happens every year, There are only two things to blame, you for not working hard enough or someone else, realizing to a good degree it was your fault is the first step to improvement. and anyway if a ton of people did bad the boundaries will be lower
Reply 96
Original post by AperfectBalance

Nothing really wrong with papers even the questions that were not really all too biology or whatnot related, it happens every year, There are only two things to blame, you for not working hard enough or someone else, realizing to a good degree it was your fault is the first step to improvement. and anyway if a ton of people did bad the boundaries will be lower

Who are you to tell me i didn't work hard enough?
Go away pls,i found the exam easy but it doesn't change the fact out of spec Q's were used.Every mark matters
Original post by AGBF
Who are you to tell me i didn't work hard enough?
Go away pls,i found the exam easy but it doesn't change the fact out of spec Q's were used.Every mark matters

Give me a example of out of spec questions please.
Original post by AperfectBalance

This is actually hilarious, people complaining that an exam was harder than previous ones and expect better grades because they think they didn't do so well. So many of these for GCSE, only time I've heard of a petition at A level for grade boundaries to be lowered was because a rather large question was actually impossible to do rather than just being hard.
Original post by Vikingninja
This is actually hilarious, people complaining that an exam was harder than previous ones and expect better grades because they think they didn't do so well. So many of these for GCSE, only time I've heard of a petition at A level for grade boundaries to be lowered was because a rather large question was actually impossible to do rather than just being hard.

I know.

Quick Reply