The Student Room Group

IGCSE Edexcel Chemistry May 19th 2016

hey guys, since a new thread hasn't been made for chem i made one.
What do you think will come up? The questions are quite repetitive, e.g. for alkanes/alkenes and stuff :smile: did you guys finish revising? i only revised from the cgp book

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gameofno

Nice one
Alloys and fractional distillation maybe as 6 markers
Original post by gameofno
What do you think will come up? The questions are quite repetitive, e.g. for alkanes/alkenes and stuff :smile: did you guys finish revising? i only revised from the cgp book

One does not simply 'finish' revising. :colonhash:
Reply 4
Original post by dRaGoN2509
One does not simply 'finish' revising. :colonhash:

mkay
Reply 5
Any predictions?
I hope its not as hard as biology
Reply 6
Any predictions?
I hope it's easier than biology
Just starting revising now it better be easy as hell.
Reply 8
Could anyone quickly summarise how you know which salt making method to use? I know the mixing/stir/filter one is two soluble salts to make an insoluble salt, but for the others, how do you know whether to use a titration or the other method?
Reply 9
Original post by meme259
Could anyone quickly summarise how you know which salt making method to use? I know the mixing/stir/filter one is two soluble salts to make an insoluble salt, but for the others, how do you know whether to use a titration or the other method?

Making soluble salts using acids and insoluble bases:
Most metal oxides, carbonates and hydroxides are insoluble. So eg if you want to make copper nitrate, you mix nitric acid and copper carbonate.
First you add the metal oxide/carbonate/hydroxide to the acid- the solid will dissolve in the acid as it reacts. You'll know when all the acid has been used up because the excess solid will remain at the bottom of the flask
You can then filter out the excess base to get the salt solution. Evaporate off the water to get pure, solid crystals of the salt.

2. Making soluble salts with an alkali:
This is the titration method - you neutralise an acid with an alkali and then get crystals in the usual manner

3. Making insoluble salts - precipitation reaction:
You just need to pick two solutions which contain the correct ions. Eg to make barium Sulphate (insoluble), you need a solution which contains barium ions (eg barium chloride) and sulphate ions (sulphuric acid)
Reply 10
image.jpg

Use that^
(copying to all iGCSE Chem threads :biggrin: )

could anyone help me out with explaining this:frown:general topic of polymerisation, additional polymerisation etc. The question itself made me go whaaaaat? and I just guessed because it's better than a blank amirite the Gold is me marking and my expression of ~woe~ THANKS IN ADVANCE I REALLY NEED HELP >.< )

IMG_8944.jpg
Reply 12
Really good paper but paper two is going to be solid
Reply 13
Such a hard paper! Once again i hope the grade boundaries will drop!
Awful!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
I thought this paper was quite easy compared to the past papers I looked at!
Super easy paper! Was easier than past papers I had done, and I reckon it was a lot more straightforward than the biology
Original post by Spinal tap
Super easy paper! Was easier than past papers I had done, and I reckon it was a lot more straightforward than the biology

It wasnt hard, but extremely easy to get tricked like the element found in air, bet people put carbon dioxide when it asked for an element
Original post by Castro300
It wasnt hard, but extremely easy to get tricked like the element found in air, bet people put carbon dioxide when it asked for an element

Yeah there was definitely a lot of stuff to get tripped up on. But if you just read the question most of it was pretty self explanatory
Original post by Spinal tap
Yeah there was definitely a lot of stuff to get tripped up on. But if you just read the question most of it was pretty self explanatory

What did you get for the mass of water amd which reaction it was, i got reaction 3
Original post by Castro300
What did you get for the mass of water amd which reaction it was, i got reaction 3

I got 0.9g for mass of water I think, and yeah it was reaction 3 because of the ratio

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending