The Student Room Group

Surely the stunt AQA pulled today will destroy their reputation.

Let's see, if 100,000+ people are complaining then why won't they go back to the drawing board and re-think this?

This is appearing all over the media so hopefully something happens because that exam was totally unfair.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by HyperVoxel
Let's see, if 100,000+ people are complaining then why won't they go back to the drawing board and re-think this?

This is appearing all over the media so hopefully something happens because that exam was totally unfair.

What happened exactly?
Reply 2
Nothing will change. Students will find a way to complain about the exams every year.
Reply 3
Original post by M14B
What happened exactly?

Most of the paper was not relevant to the subject of BIOLOGY, it asked us about under-aged drinking and alcohol addicted rats to give a few examples. Pretty much everyone sitting it across the country complained and it caught the attention of newspapers etc.

AQA claim nothing was wrong with the exam.
AQA said they found "no problem" in today's exam. They also said "exams are meant to be hard". I'm afraid they are being stubborn and won't go back on this or lower the grade boundaries, as much as I'd like them to.
Wait till you meet AQA at A Level biology lol
Reply 6
Original post by M451
Nothing will change. Students will find a way to complain about the exams every year.

While you are correct, this situation has had an impact on almost every candidate taking the exam so surely this has to capture the attention of the exam board since practically everyone is complaining.
Reply 7
Most of the paper was not relevant to the subject of BIOLOGY, it asked us about under-aged drinking and alcohol addicted rats to give a few examples. Pretty much everyone sitting it across the country complained and it caught the attention of newspapers etc.

AQA claim nothing was wrong with the exam.

Original post by hello654321
AQA said they found "no problem" in today's exam. They also said "exams are meant to be hard". I'm afraid they are being stubborn and won't go back on this or lower the grade boundaries, as much as I'd like them to.

The boundaries will automatically lower if a lot of students have done badly.

Was this GCSE?
AQA have always been dicks. Plus if everyone found it hard the grade boundaries will be lower.
Reply 10
Original post by M14B
The boundaries will automatically lower if a lot of students have done badly.

Good news then, I guess we will wait and see.
Lmao students complain about this same **** every year, just focus on your next exam buddy x
Lol, they messed up the marks for A levels last year. A lot of people went through clearning and lost their places in their firmed.
Reply 14
Is this the 20th or 30th thread? :doh:
OCR > Edexcel > AQA > CIE
Original post by lolatmaths
AQA have always been dicks. Plus if everyone found it hard the grade boundaries will be lower.

Thank goodness I used the OCR exam board when my school (and me obv) took GCSE Biology about 5 years ago!
Original post by spotify95
Thank goodness I used the OCR exam board when my school (and me obv) took GCSE Biology about 5 years ago!

I dont know much about OCR, ive heard its GCSE course is quite tough tho, more tough than Edexcel IGCSE, the one i did last year.

Personally this year should consider themselces lucky; the gcse reforms mean that theyll all follow the 21st century board and that is CRAZY hard, they have negative marking and their course is 10x harder
Original post by M451

Though I agree- 100,000 students though? I mean that's a lot. This reminds me of the 2012 situation where apparently a similar case happened but with the marking system.
Original post by noticemesenpai
Lol, they messed up the marks for A levels last year. A lot of people went through clearning and lost their places in their firmed.

My friends who had taken Btec courses were so happy they didn't choose to do A levels. While some of us are repeating year 12, a lot of them have offers from Russell group universities such as Manchester. They've all basically secured their places for uni to be honest.

Quick Reply

Latest