The Student Room Group

Future bankers- what division and why?

Thought it would be interesting to see what division (IBD, Sales, Trading, Research, Investment Management, etc...) everyone here wants to work in and their reasons and whether there's a connection between degree subject and division.

University and degree:
Division I want to apply/have applied to:
Reason(s):
How long I want to stay in banking:

I am assuming the majority here want to go for front office roles but feel free to post even if you want to work in a different function!

(If you want to be really specific maybe do the "subdivision" as well- e.g. in IBD there's M&A, ECM, DCM, coverage groups and in S&T there's equities and FICC)
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Division I want to apply to: Risk (preferably market risk)
Reason(s): The work seems interesting, numerical, hours aren't that bad, good pay
How long I want to stay in banking: want to stay permanently until I retire
University and degree: University of Manchester - MPhys Physics
Division I want to apply/have applied to: M&A
Reason(s): Find it the most interesting, best exit opps, more opportunities to find work experience as there's hundreds of Corp Finance boutiques
How long I want to stay in banking: Not given much though, probably around 4 years
University and degree: semi-target
Division I want to apply/have applied to: ibd m&a
Reason(s): bottles & models - srs note: learning curve, salary, opportunties aftwerwards
How long I want to stay in banking: 2-3years
Reply 4
Original post by Terry Tibbs
University and degree: University of Manchester - MPhys Physics
Division I want to apply/have applied to: M&A
Reason(s): Find it the most interesting, best exit opps, more opportunities to find work experience as there's hundreds of Corp Finance boutiques
How long I want to stay in banking: Not given much though, probably around 4 years

Original post by gr8wizard10
University and degree: semi-target
Division I want to apply/have applied to: ibd m&a
Reason(s): bottles & models - srs note: learning curve, salary, opportunties aftwerwards
How long I want to stay in banking: 2-3years

What do you guys want to do after IB?
University and degree: Warwick - Data Science
Division I want to apply/have applied to: IBD - TMT/Tech Coverage
Reason(s):
1. Get to hone my financial modelling and analysis skills, these are HUGELY transferrable into other companies or ancillary roles.

2. Gain exposure to a diverse set of transactions not just M&A. I like variety, so working on just M&A or ECM deals would bore me

3. The tech/TMT space is really interesting to me. There's so much scope for growth in the (those) industry(ies) and consequently even more future deal flow

4. More of a long term/strategic thinker than a short term decision maker (i.e. Markets wouldn't be as great a fit). I like the overarching strategy involved with IBD

5. Optionality. I can stay in banking or branch into PE/VC/Corp Dev/Corp Strat/Biz-School/Startups etc, if I wanted to. I can even move to a product team if I want

How long I want to stay in banking:
Plan is to either hop to tech focused PE/VC or stay in banking. So 3-4 years to indefinitely. Maybe throw in a stint at my own startup after PE/VC or after a few years of IB

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
University and degree: UCL - Econ
Division I want to apply/have applied to: IBD - preferably TMT
Reason(s): Usual reasons - learning curve, solid exit opps, tech is fascinating in itself plus is and will be the future
How long I want to stay in banking: minimum 2/3 years with analyst graduate class then will depend if the grass is much greener in HF/VC/Startups, etc.
Although quite honestly if at Uni I manage to set up/join a startup which I feel has enormous potential I would strongly consider that pathway
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Trapz99
x

Where's your post, eh?

Posted from TSR Mobile
University and Degree: LSE BSc Economics
Division I want to apply to: IBD- particularly M&A
Reasons: enjoy planning, working on longer projects, team-based environment. Generally interested in the work involved.
How long I want to stay in banking: This may change- but at the moment, am happy to stay in IBD as long as I'm allowed to- but will also be looking at exit opps- particularly PE/VC etc
Reply 9
Original post by Princepieman
Where's your post, eh?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh yeah lol I forgot, I was supposed to write it on my original post

I'll post it now :smile:
Reply 10
University and degree: Not at uni yet, but hopefully maths with economics/MORSE at any target

Division I want to apply/have applied to: Markets- trading, maybe research

Reason(s): I'm analytical, numerate and I love how relevant and ever-changing the financial markets are. Trading appeals to me because it's fast paced and I am not really a fan of long term projects like in IBD- I thrive better under pressure and I like the competitive nature involved in getting the best PnL or correctly predicting what will happen to a stock or currency.

Equity research appeals mainly because it's more creative- coming up with my own ideas of where a stock's price is going to go seems fun, as well as possibly being able to interact with company CEOs, directors. Plus the small chance of getting to go on CNBC or Bloomberg and be the "markets expert". But it does seem like jobs in research are pretty hard to find.

How long I want to stay in banking: 15-20 years then get a PGCE and become a maths teacher (preferably at my current high school- they like to hire former students here). But if I go down the equity research route I might try my luck at a hedge fund...

Either way, you guys can probably tell that I haven't got a clear career plan yet...
Original post by Trapz99
University and degree: Not at uni yet, but hopefully maths with economics/MORSE at any target

Division I want to apply/have applied to: Markets- trading, maybe research

Reason(s): I'm analytical, numerate and I love how relevant and ever-changing the financial markets are. Trading appeals to me because it's fast paced and I am not really a fan of long term projects like in IBD- I thrive better under pressure and I like the competitive nature involved in getting the best PnL or correctly predicting what will happen to a stock or currency.

Equity research appeals mainly because it's more creative- coming up with my own ideas of where a stock's price is going to go seems fun, as well as possibly being able to interact with company CEOs, directors. Plus the small chance of getting to go on CNBC or Bloomberg and be the "markets expert". But it does seem like jobs in research are pretty hard to find.

How long I want to stay in banking: 15-20 years then get a PGCE and become a maths teacher (preferably at my current high school- they like to hire former students here). But if I go down the equity research route I might try my luck at a hedge fund...

Either way, you guys can probably tell that I haven't got a clear career plan yet...

Interesting - why the PGCE route? :smile: I currently tutor and I enjoy it but the actual thought of doing it as a living wouldn't really appeal to me
University and degree: Uni of Manchester - Bio Engineering
Division I want to apply/have applied to: IBD (Probably Product). Recently started trading and thinking of S&T
Reason(s):
IBD:
- I've worked and had exposure many different industries Tech,FMCG,Healthcare and I think life is too short to focus on one specific industry. Really fascinated by the business operations of each of the industry + I love the advisory part. IBD Product would give that opportunity.
S&T:
- Love the thrill of trading, the psychological challenge is what's giving me the adrenaline. I sometimes feel like I'm getting a heart attack.
How long I want to stay in banking: Not too sure
(edited 7 years ago)
University and degree: UCL - Social Sciences with Quantitative Methods
Division I want to apply/have applied to: ECM
Reason(s): Money and competition
How long I want to stay in banking: 4-5 Years then go into Politics
Original post by lordoftheties
University and degree: UCL - Social Sciences with Quantitative Methods
Division I want to apply/have applied to: ECM
Reason(s): Money and competition
How long I want to stay in banking: 4-5 Years then go into Politics

How does money and competition relate to ECM?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Trapz99

Hey, im interested in a similar degree too, if you want you can check out a thread i made on MORSE and there were some ppl who gave fantastic advice lol
Original post by Princepieman
How does money and competition relate to ECM?

Posted from TSR Mobile

By money I meant the money I earn, and by competition I meant competing with other peeps in the convertible offerings department to be the best damn jordan belfort in all the land.
Original post by lordoftheties
By money I meant the money I earn, and by competition I meant competing with other peeps in the convertible offerings department to be the best damn jordan belfort in all the land.

Who's this Jordan Belfort fellow you speak of? :colone:
Reply 18
Original post by Metrododo
Interesting - why the PGCE route? :smile: I currently tutor and I enjoy it but the actual thought of doing it as a living wouldn't really appeal to me

Well, I just find it so rewarding to explain concepts and processes and see someone progress and improve. I'm lucky to have had some amazing, enthusiastic, inspiring teachers over the years who have gone above and beyond to ensure that students succeed and that's really inspired me. I've done a lot of teaching-related stuff at school (mentoring lower school students, teaching primary school kids to read, tutoring, maths help clubs) and it's been really rewarding to see that I can be the difference between someone failing and passing a test and, more importantly, gaining knowledge of the subject (specifically, I want to teach maths).

Also, teaching and finance have a lot more in common than you might think- both involve working at high pressures with high expectations and high responsibility, and both require you to become an expert in your specific product and explain concepts to clients/students. Plus, once I've saved up enough from my finance job I can be a teacher without moaning about the awful salaries.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Metrododo
Who's this Jordan Belfort fellow you speak of? :colone:

Subliminal messaging confirmed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending