The Student Room Group

How do you think the AQA GCSE Biology 1 paper was?

Scroll to see replies

five or six depending on how good your english and spelling was/ organising information, and whether you explained it correctly in enough detail.. id say 5 marks.
An example for water would be; Water is an important component of a healthy diet as all of the chemical reactions in the body happen in a watery environment, therefore drinking enough water is crucial to prevent dehydration and aid these chemical reactions
Original post by Sarahwatson52
I wrote about carbs, proteins, fibre and fat as well as bit about vitamins and explained what they did. But i didn't mention water how many marks do you think i would get (6 marker)
This was a retake for me, I felt it was so much better than last year! It's a shame I've learned the menstrual cycle thought and will never be asked it haha. When I came across the six marker I read "mineral ions" and I was about to cry In the exam hall because I know fu#k all about that and so I accepted I wouldn't get those six marks, then later I came back and re read it and it was about balanced diet, the easiest part of biology!!! I'm very pleased I hope everyone gets good grades x
Original post by TeenPolyglot
I found it ridiculously easy.

My favourite biology exam I've ever sat, and I absolutely detest biology.

Lucky you :smile:
Original post by crustyegg
five or six depending on how good your english and spelling was/ organising information, and whether you explained it correctly in enough detail.. id say 5 marks.
An example for water would be; Water is an important component of a healthy diet as all of the chemical reactions in the body happen in a watery environment, therefore drinking enough water is crucial to prevent dehydration and aid these chemical reactions

Thankyou
would i get the mark for saying an independent company is a company which is not linked to the manufacturer
Then in the next question i said this is important so the results are 100% truthful and accurate, would i get the marks?
Original post by ReluctantWriter
Oh, and WTF was that 2-marker on synapses and the last bit on animal indicators?
How do you get 2 marks for writing about a gap?

//*[Chemicals are released which trigger impulses at the other end of the synapse (next neurone.

What I wrote for the animal indicators question: Environmental indicator - Water pollution

Animal indicator - Mayfly larvae

Another way of detecting my chosen indicator: use a dissolved oxygen sensor.

I did the exam too, I'm pretty sure this is correct.]
Original post by nettogrof
Lets hope for low grade boundaries!! Yeh I was really hoping for a menstrual cycle/carbon cycle/vaccine question but no instead it just seemed so random - I even hated the QWC because I never thought they would ask us that :frown:

Honestly, the QWC was a quite a suprise for me, but it was basically saying why food and water is important for the body. If you explain why you need fibre, carbos, fat etc. (and include water) you should be able to get a sizable or 6 marks.

Looking back, I think that question is desined to put students under pressure. Don't panic if you see another exam question with a similar vibe. At least it wasn't as ridiculous as Hannah's Sweets.
The paper was much more harder than any past paper I did,in terms of there was no actual knowledge from the book and everything was readinh from the case study or graph.Synapses and scatter graphs do not occur in AQA book,independant compny is linked to the business.It drives me nutts coz it was the subject I knew the most from science.Chem gonna be battlefield.
I revised so hard for this but there was no science on it😂😂
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AmeliaRose1237
I revised so hard for this but there was no science on it😂😂

Lol same! Imagine chemistry...
Reply 210
Original post by Helen k
I found it hard I was expecting the carbon cycle or homeostasis to come up or even the menstrual cycle to come up but it didn't like wtf was the independent company question was it even on the spec why would they ask that

There wouldn't ever be homeostasis on a unit 1 paper because it's a unit 3 topic. And yes independent companies are part of the spec under drug trialling.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ohgy
There wouldn't ever be homeostasis on a unit 1 paper because it's a unit 3 topic. And yes independent companies are part of the spec under drug trialling.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're right homeostasis doesn't come up but control in the body is part of the spec. This includes control of internal conditions etc...
Same I don't know why everyone is making a big fuss over harder topics bit being on the paper
I was okay about the paper, just not the mosquito page I messed up so bad on that and I know it but my mind just went blank. I'm going to work so hard on B2 and B3 and hopefully my ISA grade can bring me up to an A.
But the grade boundaries still better be low, some people started crying when they left because they hated it so much, it's the fact that it was vague and so unlike any other. I thought we were the last year doing the old spec and it felt like we were the blooming new year doing it!? :angry:
It was so easy, why is everyone crying about it?
Original post by A_A_ron
It was so easy, why is everyone crying about it?

I think it's because most were application. Btw for the mosquito one, since the male ones don't drink blood did you say that releasing them would mean that females can;t mate and so offspring wouldn't be produce,d reduign the population of malaria, preventing death and diseasE? as well as other stuff...
Reply 216
Original post by jade_frenchie
i forgot what the animals were so i wrote frog :':wink:

Don't feel bad, I wrote fish.
Reply 217
Original post by mrtn_edits99
I swear you need to write it as a percentage? I put 67%

Oh AQA were very evil and sneaky in that question, when you used the formula to find the percentage the results were 2/3. Its supposed to be 2/3's of a signal percent so it would be 0.67% dependent of how/if you rounded.
Original post by nettogrof
So I sat biology unit one exam today and it was the one exam I did a lot of revision for and did all the recent past papers for and I felt as though the paper was nothing like the recent past papers and a lot harder :'( How did everyone else find it?
I know it isn't fair :frown: I have spent the majority of my time revising for biology rather than other subjects and then I'm faced with business questions... ahaAHAHA
Original post by KBB1
Oh AQA were very evil and sneaky in that question, when you used the formula to find the percentage the results were 2/3. Its supposed to be 2/3's of a signal percent so it would be 0.67% dependent of how/if you rounded.

I got 0.67%!! Some people in my school got 66/7% so i was a bit worried

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending