The Student Room Group

University bans mortar board throwing

This sounds like an April Fool's but...um...it's May.

Apparently the University of East Anglia has banned students from throwing their mortar boards in the air in their graduation picture. Instead, they're going to Photoshop them in afterwards...

The Guardian

It’s a much-loved academic tradition that has fallen foul of health and safety concerns of late, as universities strive to prevent graduates flinging their mortarboards in the air.

Yet at one UK campus, a very 21th-century solution might now be at hand after students were told that images of the headwear will be digitally added afterwards if they simply mime the act when photographs are being taken.

The instructions were sent out to students at the University of East Anglia (UEA) after the institution in Norwich reportedly said that a number of graduates had been hurt by falling hats in recent years.

“As well as being safer, this will have the added advantage that even more of the students’ faces will be seen in this photograph,” according to the miming guidance issued by a photography company, which was reported by the student newspaper The Tab.

Full story on The Guardian

Scroll to see replies

To be fair it's not so much of an actual "tradition" - since the idea got imported from the Americans in the 60's/70's.

But anyhow safe space Universities ftw...
No, this is very dangerous. Mortar boards are sharp-edged and can do serious damage, especially the way some guys hurl them into the air like missiles.

There is something vindictive, even sinister, about the incoming mortar board.
When I graduated in 2001 we didn't have mortar boards - if you had an official photograph then they lent you one to wear in the photo.

My university brought them in 5-10 years later because of demand from graduates wanting to chuck em about. Silly idea IMO
Of course it's my ****ing university :rofl:

Come on UEA... Banning sombreros in freshers week... Mortar boards now... :facepalm:
Surely if one wears one's own mortar board, there's a degree of protection against the aerial bombardment?

That way the throwers can throw and the nervous can be protected underneath their mortarboard shelter. Everyone wins.

SS
Original post by PQ
When I graduated in 2001 we didn't have mortar boards - if you had an official photograph then they lent you one to wear in the photo.

My university brought them in 5-10 years later because of demand from graduates wanting to chuck em about. Silly idea IMO

But it's in the movies.
Original post by mobbsy91
Of course it's my ****ing university :rofl:

Come on UEA... Banning sombreros in freshers week... Mortar boards now... :facepalm:

They banned the sombrero? :lolwut:
Original post by Fullofsurprises
They banned the sombrero? :lolwut:

The SU did in freshers week yeh, because it could cause offence to any Mexicans...
The SU did in freshers week yeh, because it could cause offence to any Mexicans...

I just don't understand this world where everyone is offended by everything... As a frenchman, I wouldn't be bothered if people wore berets haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Metrododo
I just don't understand this world where everyone is offended by everything... As a frenchman, I wouldn't be bothered if people wore berets haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

:dontknow: Probably an over keen SU trying to show that they're all PC and everything xD

I hope there were no berets or lederhosen on display either.

Let's start a petition to replace mortar boards with berets, then they couldn't get butthurt over people throwing them
I hope there were no berets or lederhosen on display either.

I think we all agree with that just on general principles of taste
No, this is very dangerous. Mortar boards are sharp-edged and can do serious damage, especially the way some guys hurl them into the air like missiles.

There is something vindictive, even sinister, about the incoming mortar board.

http://eandt.theiet.org/magazine/2015/10/images/640_hats-off.jpg
Original post by Zargabaath
Let's start a petition to replace mortar boards with berets, then they couldn't get butthurt over people throwing them

#JeSuisBeret
#JeSuisBeret

#IchBinLederhosen
#IchBinLederhosen

#YoSoySombrero :biggrin:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-36320123

The same University who called for 'racist' Mexican sombreros to be banned from their Freshers' Fair.

http://www.independent.co.uk/student/news/university-of-east-anglia-students-union-bans-racist-mexican-sombreros-from-freshers-fair-a6671236.html

Of course it is once again the minority who are listened to - only "Some graduates at the University of East Anglia (UEA) in Norwich have been hurt by falling hats in recent years, student newspaper The Tab reported.

"Students have been urged to mime the throwing action instead, and have hats added digitally to the photo after."

Much like those pillocks who want the audience to use jazz hands and finger clicking to show approval, rather than clapping because it "triggers anxiety".

Now, when you're about to graduate, you'll be asked to "mime" throwing the motarboard! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
@University of East Anglia

Do you want to comment of this ridiculous motion treating your students like children?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending