The Student Room Group

AS OCR Physical Geography 17th May 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Betonz
I misread the question and didn't see 'managing' so I just talked about conflict :frown: what do you think the maximum mark I can get?

I have no idea, they will give credit for issues too though but might only be in level one :smile: I misread a different one to you :/ I think its just pressure and speed that makes it happen :smile: I'm sure you will get some marks though!
Oh it was horrendous...

Skips :smile:
It was not NICE thank you OCR :h:

25 mark question on coasts that was a chore I really struggled with that.
Reply 23
For the cold environments q about reasons for the erosion patterns what did everyone say? I just went on about at peak erosion mid way down the valley temperatures are fluctuating more so processes like freeze thaw are more prevalent, is that vaguely right?
(edited 7 years ago)
For the rivers 9 marker, did the question say to just use one case study/located example ???
Reply 25
Thought the questions were nice but managed to mess it all up somehow, not looking forward to human on friday. I did the rivers essay and now have a bad feeling I didn't fully answer the question.
Original post by abellboy
For the cold environments q about reasons for the erosion patterns what did everyone say? I just went on about at peak erosion mid way down the valley temperatures are fluctuating more so processes like freeze thaw are more prevalent, is that vaguely right?

I was about to reply to this... then I realized it's you!
Did anyone do the short arid questions? The 6 marker about aeolian transport was horrid. I take geology and this was confusing. Why was there more transport in the summer?

I wrote that there was greater supply of sediment as the higher diurnal range meant that there was more weathered rock from freeze thaw that could be transported and that winds were stronger, and occuring over longer duration.

I think vegetation cover would have worked but... Would have thought that that would have argued the opposing point that summer experienced less transportation?
SOMEONE GIVE ME ANSWERS? I CAN'T STOP THINKING ABOUT IT!

Also... Did anyone do the 9 mark rivers Q? It was only on one located example, rather than one or more, and I used 2. So much regret.
I thought the 25 marker question was cruel! only letting us talk about challenges FOR economic development. Unfortunatly my time management was a bit poor so I ran out of time and just had to throw a conclusion on there. I only got chance to talk about accessabilty and fragility of ecosystems. (I did arid and used Egypt as a case study)

Also, hoping if someone could answer my question. On the question regarding adaptations of fauna, I originally wrote about FLORA by accident. However, I realised by mistake and wrote my new answer on one of those extended paper booklet things. However, I forgot to cross out the orginal question! Really annoyed about it. Is anyone able to give me any advice about what the examiners would think about that? would they only mark my original answer etc..
Original post by abellboy

That doesn't sound too bad, the glacier did go over a long distance so temperatures could most defiantly be fluctuating, causing higher frequency of processes. Did you talk about another factor?

I talked about the effect that geology would have. As the glacier extended over around 30km or something? so I said that chances are geology will be different. Potentially meaning that the rock at the source of the glacier was hard bedrock, whilst rock at peak erosional rate may have been softer. I also mentioned that velocity may have changed due to gradient, affecting erosional rates.
Reply 30
Original post by passmore1999
For the rivers 9 marker, did the question say to just use one case study/located example ???

I thought it said one or more??
Reply 31
Original post by FunnyHutch
That doesn't sound too bad, the glacier did go over a long distance so temperatures could most defiantly be fluctuating, causing higher frequency of processes. Did you talk about another factor?

I talked about the effect that geology would have. As the glacier extended over around 30km or something? so I said that chances are geology will be different. Potentially meaning that the rock at the source of the glacier was hard bedrock, whilst rock at peak erosional rate may have been softer. I also mentioned that velocity may have changed due to gradient, affecting erosional rates.

I pretty much only when on about temperature which was regrettable, definitely should of mentioned rock geology, good point.
Original post by Liv1871
I thought it said one or more??

so did I but it looks like it said using one example :frown: I have heard a few people say that it just said using one. I did two paragraphs on one case study and my third on a different case study so I am hoping I might still be able to get 6 marks
Reply 33
Original post by georgie_axolotls
Did anyone do the short arid questions? The 6 marker about aeolian transport was horrid. I take geology and this was confusing. Why was there more transport in the summer?

I wrote that there was greater supply of sediment as the higher diurnal range meant that there was more weathered rock from freeze thaw that could be transported and that winds were stronger, and occuring over longer duration.

I think vegetation cover would have worked but... Would have thought that that would have argued the opposing point that summer experienced less transportation?
SOMEONE GIVE ME ANSWERS? I CAN'T STOP THINKING ABOUT IT!

Also... Did anyone do the 9 mark rivers Q? It was only on one located example, rather than one or more, and I used 2. So much regret.

I wrote about the way Hadley cells shifted with the tilting axis on the earth. During winter months the Hadley cells move in such a way that wind speed is less due to shift in pressure to other areas. Then talked about the energy of the wind being reduced and therefore less able to entrain material.
Reply 34
Original post by FunnyHutch

Also, hoping if someone could answer my question. On the question regarding adaptations of fauna, I originally wrote about FLORA by accident. However, I realised by mistake and wrote my new answer on one of those extended paper booklet things. However, I forgot to cross out the orginal question! Really annoyed about it. Is anyone able to give me any advice about what the examiners would think about that? would they only mark my original answer etc..

I believe when it says give two, they mark the first two. Not meaning to bring bad news but that's usually how OCR work.
Reply 35
so did I but it looks like it said using one example :frown: I have heard a few people say that it just said using one. I did two paragraphs on one case study and my third on a different case study so I am hoping I might still be able to get 6 marks

I've asked a few people and they all said they thought it said one or more as well so who knows
Original post by Mitchsim
I wrote about the way Hadley cells shifted with the tilting axis on the earth. During winter months the Hadley cells move in such a way that wind speed is less due to shift in pressure to other areas. Then talked about the energy of the wind being reduced and therefore less able to entrain material.

That's a good way to put that in, but surely the movement of the ITCZ would result in high pressure in the summer, blocking other weather systems? I may be wrong. That's also counting on the fact that the Grand Canyon is Semi Arid, which I don't think it is?
Reply 37
The wind speed from the Hadley cells occurs north and south of the 30 degree mark, it does not matter whether it is arid or not (trade winds). There are also additional cells which shift, cannot remember the name off the top of my head causing change in wind speeds. Anyway it was a suggest question so hopefully they accept it.
Original post by Mitchsim
The wind speed from the Hadley cells occurs north and south of the 30 degree mark, it does not matter whether it is arid or not (trade winds). There are also additional cells which shift, cannot remember the name off the top of my head causing change in wind speeds. Anyway it was a suggest question so hopefully they accept it.

Sounds much more viable than my attempt :biggrin:
Reply 39

You can usually get away with just 1 case study for a 9 marker. It depends how much detail you went into. I only used 1 cast study which was Alaska and talked about the oil reserves they have there. Which case study did you use?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending