The Student Room Group

Maths Ocr 2016 C1

Scroll to see replies

Also, does anyone have an answer for the one with the circle and you had to find the coordinates on the normal to the tangent at A ?? And workings to how you do it?
Original post by ErraticPhysicist
No I did not. I got a=27. I cannot remember the exact question, but you needed to differentiate the equation to get a=8x^3. Then substitute y=32 back into the equation to get x=3/2. Hence, 8(3/2)^3=27.

Oh so I just rearranged the equation differently
Original post by sophietitman
This was the hardest C1 paper OCR has given us in years. I have done every single past paper and always did alright. You can see a pattern in the questions, especially after 2012. This year was completely different, questions worded differently and a lot more surds/fractions/indices work than normal.
Surely this means low grade boundaries?? Please? I know I screwed up a lot of the questions and quite frankly that exam shook me.
Does anyone have an unofficial markscheme anywhere? So I can see if I got at least one right :frown:
C2 better be kind.

I agree. This was my resit paper after I only managed to get 56 on June 2015. I have done all the past papers and get 70-72/72. Most of the people at my college seemed to struggle with some aspects especially the last question. I made some stupid errors such as thinking 4(3) was 9 for question 2...I know...and I'm an A2 maths students :biggrin::colondollar:. The best advice I can give you is just to accept it when badly and put all your effort into C2 and S1/M1/D1. I'm sure you'll get there in the end. :wink:
Original post by MrZebraCookie
Oh so I just rearranged the equation differently

Indeed. You may have made an error as the equation where x is the subject is more difficult to work with in terms of substitution. How did you find the paper as a whole?
Also, does anyone have an answer for the one with the circle and you had to find the coordinates on the normal to the tangent at A ?? And workings to how you do it?

y=201/4 ??
Original post by ErraticPhysicist
I agree. This was my resit paper after I only managed to get 56 on June 2015. I have done all the past papers and get 70-72/72. Most of the people at my college seemed to struggle with some aspects especially the last question. I made some stupid errors such as thinking 4(3) was 9 for question 2...I know...and I'm an A2 maths students :biggrin::colondollar:. The best advice I can give you is just to accept it when badly and put all your effort into C2 and S1/M1/D1. I'm sure you'll get there in the end. :wink:

Thanks for the advice. I have to work even harder for C2 now to ensure I get a half decent grade! (And I did a lot of work for C1 even with it being the "easy" paper:angry:)
Man, I should've done BTEC.
I think I actually got 70/72 in this paper. I think the question where i will miss the marks is the radius of the little circle question but other than that this paper was made to use the whole 1h and 30 minutes instead of the usual 30 minutes
Original post by maxjackson5
y=201/4 ??

How did you work that out?

y=(-1/20)x+c
we know that when x is 5, y is 50 so when we substitute the coordinates in the equation we get 50=-1/4 +c
c= 50 +1/4
c= (200+1)/4
Reply 189
Original post by catwat99
I think (and hope) it'll be in the high fifties for an A

Considering the difficulty of the paper compared to other C1's I'd both hope and expect it would be in the mid 50's.

differentiate to get gradient as 20 for when x=5. sub x=5 into curve equation to get 50. grad of normal is neg recip of tangent so -1/20. then to find y when it meets y -axis, put x=0 into the equation you would've worked out to be x+20y = 1005

the answer for the first quesiton is 2x^2 -9
Original post by maxjackson5
y=201/4 ??

Can confirm that the answer is 201/4 (I got 1005/20, but i'm sure they'll let me have it :colondollar:)

I can't remember if we were given the gradient of the tangent, and you just had to use m1*m2= -1 or what, but I determined the gradient of the normal was -1/20.
you should have worked out that the co-ordinates of A were (5,50) for the proof beforehand.
Then just using y-y1=m(x-x1) you can find the y-intercept:

y - 50 = -1/20(x-5)
y - 50 = -1/20x + 5/20
y = -1/20x +(5/20 + 1000/20)
so y = -1/20x + 1005/20

1005/20=201/4=50.25
i'm sure any of those answers will give you the mark :smile:
Original post by admirableyellow
what? june 2015 was one of the easiest papers to date

That's true but because so many people got full marks the grade boundaries were really high so making a few minor errors pulled quite a lot of people's grades down so most people I know are resitting. I was getting 70 ish on past papers before the exam and scraped a B in C1 because of stupid mistakes like getting signs wrong and not adding stuff right. This paper was so much harder than the other papers but in some ways I think it's better to have a really hard paper than a really easy one!
Original post by FluffyCommie
Can confirm that the answer is 201/4 (I got 1005/20, but i'm sure they'll let me have it :colondollar:)

I can't remember if we were given the gradient of the tangent, and you just had to use m1*m2= -1 or what, but I determined the gradient of the normal was -1/20.
you should have worked out that the co-ordinates of A were (5,50) for the proof beforehand.
Then just using y-y1=m(x-x1) you can find the y-intercept:

y - 50 = -1/20(x-5)
y - 50 = -1/20x + 5/20
y = -1/20x +(5/20 + 1000/20)
so y = -1/20x + 1005/20

1005/20=201/4=50.25
i'm sure any of those answers will give you the mark :smile:

I got 1005/20 !! Yay !! Thanks for clarifying this, I'm just glad I didn't screw up completely!:biggrin:
From what I've heard, this year's C1 exam is much like what last year's F324 Chemistry paper was like: generally considered to be the hardest paper ever set for that unit, and reading through these posts i'm sure most of you will agree. It may well be that they've tried to make it harder, yet what they've also done is try to force you to THINK about the questions more. They've deviated from the standard question types, where you could nearly predict what was going to come up and how they would set the question out, and moved onto a new standard- where application of knowledge is far more important. I'm not sure if it's the best to introduce this now, or to have waited until the new wave of A-levels that are being taken now. thoughts?
Original post by PeteM
Anybody agree that this was BY FAR the hardest C1 paper ever produced?

Man has done every single C1 paper on the planet. This is definitely the hardest one yet.
Original post by MylesMor
Harder than any of the practice papers so far. OCR got me with very hard Geography and now the Maths. Thanks OCR!

Same mate
I got 1005/20 !! Yay !! Thanks for clarifying this, I'm just glad I didn't screw up completely!:biggrin:

how many marks was that one?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending