The Student Room Group

OCR MEI M2 - 18th May 2016

Scroll to see replies

Apparently it was an easier paper, do you think there is a chance its gonna be really high like 64 from June 11? Unlikely right ? I am really hoping its around the same as last year :/

Original post by MintyMilk
Wouldn't be surprised if we had the exact same grade boundaries as last year: 62, 56, 51 for A*, A, B
the coefficient of friction was 1.57 right? Work done by tension+ initial kinetic energy = final ke + gain in gpe + work done against friction yessss???
Original post by chemari1
the coefficient of friction was 1.57 right? Work done by tension+ initial kinetic energy = final ke + gain in gpe + work done against friction yessss???

I think that was the right method, but I got roughly half your value, being 0.78, while everyone else seems to have got 0.866.
I think that was the right method, but I got roughly half your value, being 0.78, while everyone else seems to have got 0.866.

did you get one of the rods in tension of 393 or 394?
For the question which said that the object of mass 0.05kg is shot of with a speed of 10ms^-1 relative to P. Does it mean this is relative to the speed of P before it was shot or or after it was shot off and how were we meant to know this? This is what I am having problems understanding.
Original post by Connorbwfc
For the question which said that the object of mass 0.05kg is shot of with a speed of 10ms^-1 relative to P. Does it mean this is relative to the speed of P before it was shot or or after it was shot off and how were we meant to know this? This is what I am having problems understanding.

did you get one of the rods in tension of 393 or 394?

Check the earlier pages in the thread, it's all there.
Original post by -Gifted-
Definitely was thinking this, but for 2 marks- i just did 91.5 times by 7. :/

I did that too and I think its right because it was only the power of the tension wasnt it? Not the total power developed or anything

Yeah I understand, that the people on this forum are saying that it means they have a speed of separation of 10ms^-1.

However, how did we know this?

How did we know that it wasn't shot out at 10ms^-1 relative to the speed of P before it was shot? How do we know it was shot out at 10ms^-1 relative to the speed of P after it was shot?

soz but it ain't, anyway, I missed out the whole of question 4, hopefully the coef of friction was 1.57 and the force on the rod (I first wrote 393 in my working out and underlined it but then I put 394 in a sentence) 393 or 394? so that I get all the marks up to that man, did c1 as well frst like so I was a bit drained
Original post by Connorbwfc
Yeah I understand, that the people on this forum are saying that it means they have a speed of separation of 10ms^-1.

However, how did we know this?

How did we know that it wasn't shot out at 10ms^-1 relative to the speed of P before it was shot? How do we know it was shot out at 10ms^-1 relative to the speed of P after it was shot?

Consider this: the small object (call it R) is shot out at 10 ms^-1 relative to P's initial speed, i.e. at 8ms^-1 relative to the ground, with P moving off at 2ms^-1. Why is P's speed going to change? R has already left, it can't influence P's motion any more.

It has to mean 10ms^-1 relative to P's speed after the shot.
The fact that the poll is biased towards greater than 60, i am so screwed for this exam. Defo won't be getting a 90 by dropping 6 marks :/
does anyone remember the numbers for thecoefficient of frition question?
was it
0.5 x 6 x 49 + 91.5 x 8 = 6x9.8x8sin30 + 0.5 x 6x1 + 8 F
ke work done by tensionsion gain in gpe final ke work done against friction

F=80.1, and coefficient= 80.1/ 6x9.8xcos30 = 1.57!!!!!!
I musta been right kiddars
(edited 7 years ago)
does anyone remember the numbers for thecoefficient of frition question?

friction was 44.1 N, and the weight was 6g where the block was inclined at 30 degrees.
The fact that the poll is biased towards greater than 60, i am so screwed for this exam. Defo won't be getting a 90 by dropping 6 marks :/

I really doubt it'll above 60.
Original post by StrangeBanana
I really doubt it'll above 60.

Legit man, if it is, I am done. Give up.
Legit man, if it is, I am done. Give up.

You're gifted, we get it already, 66 will almost 100% be an A*. It's only not been an A* once ever, and this was a harder than average paper.
Original post by StrangeBanana
Consider this: the small object (call it R) is shot out at 10 ms^-1 relative to P's initial speed, i.e. at 8ms^-1 relative to the ground, with P moving off at 2ms^-1. Why is P's speed going to change? R has already left, it can't influence P's motion any more.
It has to mean 10ms^-1 relative to P's speed after the shot.

How many marks do you think I'll get for this question if I treated it as 10ms^-1 relative to the initial speed.
So: 2*(0.5)=0.05*-8 + 0.45V and solved for V?

Also do you think the picture I've attached is an okay method for showing that the plane isn't smooth?
image.jpg
friction was 44.1 N, and the weight was 6g where the block was inclined at 30 degrees.
how did you get 44.1?
how did you get 44.1?

Don't remember, but calculated frictional work and then divided by 8.
You're gifted, we get it already, 66 will almost 100% be an A*. It's only not been an A* once ever, and this was a harder than average paper.

Do you think 66 is optimistic or pessimistic for an A*, cos if its like 68 for 90, thats it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending