The Student Room Group

AQA A Level Maths Core 1 - 18th May 2016 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

I recently made a new thread with an updated mark scheme if you lot could add to it, it will be finished soon :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4095491
(edited 7 years ago)
Reckon i have 58-60 depending on boundaries, is this enough for a B anyone?
Original post by money-for-all
For the sketch the curve question, who got y=8 and then got an upside down 'U' shape ?

I did :smile:
Reply 263
Original post by money-for-all
For the sketch the curve question, who got y=8 and then got an upside down 'U' shape ?

Yeah you should've gotten that shape as the equation was -x^2 and I can't remember the equation but I remember that it was 8-the rest so the y-intercept should've been y=8
Original post by SunDun111

That should be a B. Normally an A would be around the 63-65+ mark so you should have a strong B :smile:.
Question that's really making me anxious

(8) marks total for the intigration between 1 and -2, including the overall area. I got the method correct however I added wrong to get 107/4 rather than 81/4. If I had the correct method how would this affect me out of the 5 marks?

Also the next 3 marks I used the right method and found the area of the triangle.. Would I get the full 3 marks for using my answer to the previous 5 marks or would I still drop even more marks?
Please be honest :smile:

Thanks x
Reply 266
Original post by df97
Think I got k<-3/2 and k>6

can anyone remember the actual quadratic we had to factorise for that question as defo got -3/2 but cant remember the other number :frown:
Original post by SunDun111

Could be - probably borderline...
Original post by laur a
can anyone remember the actual quadratic we had to factorise for that question as defo got -3/2 but cant remember the other number :frown:

(2x-3)(x+6)
Original post by KittyKat97x
(3root5)^2 is 45 right? My mind went so blank 😂

Yer because its (3)^2 x (root5)^2
They try and trick people into expanding it as if it was (3+root5)^2
What did you get for the radius? I got square root of 34.
Original post by Tarlius
Question that's really making me anxious

(8) marks total for the intigration between 1 and -2, including the overall area. I got the method correct however I added wrong to get 107/4 rather than 81/4. If I had the correct method how would this affect me out of the 5 marks?

Also the next 3 marks I used the right method and found the area of the triangle.. Would I get the full 3 marks for using my answer to the previous 5 marks or would I still drop even more marks?
Please be honest :smile:

Thanks x

Hmm, minus one or two for an addition error. If you got that the triangle = 9 I expect you get an ECF for the area, so just one or two less.
Original post by amyrevise
What did you get for the radius? I got the square root of 34.

No, sorry it was √65.

You can do this by substituting the values for A into (x-5)^2 + (y-3)^2 = k or with Pythagoras.

See the image below.
Wait I'm confused why is everyone getting inequalities for the value of k? It said the line was a tangent to the curve therefore the discriminant would be equal to 0. Therefore you just work out k by factorising. I don't know who's right.
Original post by timtjtim
No, sorry it was √65.

You can do this by substituting the values for A into (x-5)^2 + (y-3)^2 = k or with Pythagoras.

See the image below.

Ok thank you. Seems obvious now
No, sorry it was √65.

See the image below.

(X-5)^2 - 25 + (Y+3)^2 -9 = radius

(x-5)^2 + (y+3)^2 -34 = radius

(x-5)^2 + (y+3)^2 = 34

Radius = ROOOOOOOT 34 BRUV
I got the wrong answer for the area for the shaded region as I intergrated the y=-32x-40 instead of doing the triangle thing, will I lose all the marks?
Original post by amyrevise
Wait I'm confused why is everyone getting inequalities for the value of k? It said the line was a tangent to the curve therefore the discriminant would be equal to 0. Therefore you just work out k by factorising. I don't know who's right.

I think you're getting confused with the last question? One was just factorising (I think it was 20 and 4), the other was inequalities (k>6 and -3/2>k).
(3√5)^2 + √5 over 7-3√5

it was 7+....
Hmm, minus one or two for an addition error. If you got that the triangle = 9 I expect you get an ECF for the area, so just one or two less.

Was wondering where you got this from? I too messed up the integral and it's reassuring to know previous errors supposedly don't carry on, could you confirm where you got this from?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending