The Student Room Group
Original post by sharkbate633
I was just wondering something is there a difference between Nail polish and Nail Varnish

I've always thought that they were the exact same thing
Nail polish basically is a paint but nail vanish is a special paint which is used to design our nails.
The difference is only in the location of where it's being used; polish in America, and varnish in Europe. They're both a lacquer, that can be used to add designs or a solid color (like paint). For each, the term 'varnish' and 'polish' just mean 'shiny coat', essentially. They're generic terms in the different reason, kinda like saying we polished a deck, or put varnish on it, when really someone used lacquer, shellac, etc.
The difference is only in the location of where it's being used; polish in America, and varnish in Europe. They're both a lacquer, that can be used to add designs or a solid color (like paint). For each, the term 'varnish' and 'polish' just mean 'shiny coat', essentially. They're generic terms in the different reason, kinda like saying we polished a deck, or put varnish on it, when really someone used lacquer, shellac, etc.
Reply 5
Original post by claireestelle

same
I worked with a couple of exchange students from Sweden years ago and they called it nail varnish. As far as I know they're the same thing.
Original post by claireestelle

me too:smile:

Latest