The Student Room Group

University bans mortar board throwing

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I can only shake my head
It's a huge shame that legitimate trigger warnings for people actually suffering with PTSD and anxiety will never be taken seriously again.
All this does is trivialise serious issues and the plight of actual trauma victims.

They think what they're doing is helping when it actually has just dug a hole for us with trauma. This is what happens when the wrong people have the loudest voices
The funny thing is I actually did get injured at my own graduation by someone throwing their Mortarboard. Didn't require any hospital attention despite a fair amount of blood. Hurt like hell though for the next couple of days!

The usually comment I got was you should of caught it.... well smart arses it wasn't mine, I accidental threw mine into the face of the girl three rows in front of me :lol:
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I hope there were no berets or lederhosen on display either.

And certainly no dreadlocks on non-blacks.
Original post by Dodgypirate
The same University who called for 'racist' Mexican sombreros to be banned from their Freshers' Fair.

Hi,

Just to clarify this, we have not "banned" mortar board throwing. We're simply encouraging this to be done in smaller groups rather than large groups of 250+ people. You can read more here.

A number of other universities take this approach too. We want people to enjoy their day, and we don't want any injuries that could spoil the fun :smile:
Original post by University of East Anglia
Hi,

Just to clarify this, we have not "banned" mortar board throwing. We're simply encouraging this to be done in smaller groups rather than large groups of 250+ people. You can read more here.

A number of other universities take this approach too. We want people to enjoy their day, and we don't want any injuries that could spoil the fun :smile:

Quick question how many injuries have there been in the past?
Original post by BaconandSauce
Quick question how many injuries have there been in the past?

If you have any questions about this please drop us an email - [email protected] - and we'll pass this to the appropriate team :smile:

As you can see from @DanB1991's post injuries can be sustained in really big groups, so we feel this is a sensible move to take :smile:
Original post by University of East Anglia
If you have any questions about this please drop us an email - [email protected] - and we'll pass this to the appropriate team :smile:

As you can see from @DanB1991's post injuries can be sustained in really big groups, so we feel this is a sensible move to take :smile:

Many thanks for your reply.
Reply 28
Leave the EU and you can have your mortar boards back. Vote Leave!
Original post by Maker
Leave the EU and you can have your mortar boards back. Vote Leave!

Ignore this guy and you can claim £10k for free from your nearest dodgy corner shop. Choose Ignore!
@ninuzu

I feel sorry for your twin :tongue:
Reply 31
Original post by JohnGreek
This comment was copied from the Guardian comments section lmao

thats plagerism.
Chucking mortar boards always seemed cringey to me.

It's the 21 year old's equivalent of the 16 / 18 year old having a photo with their GCSE / A level exam results slip, jumping in the air.
:facepalm:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending