The Student Room Group

AQA AS level Business 19th and 23rd May 2016

I'm doing the new AS level AQA spec for Business on the 19th and 23rd May. Just wanted to know if anyone has any predictions of what units might come up?:tongue:

Scroll to see replies

I have absolutely no idea it can be anything, but i wouldn't be surprised if Tannenbaum Schmidt continuum and decision trees came up, do you know where we can get any extra practice questions from as i've done all the specimen papers
Hi everyone, I am a student and I am doing this exam tomorrow. By just reading the case study given to us. We can see that the first 10 mark question is going to be about a business plan relating to expansion. The question 4 which is research task b, can be about whether they should expand or not. I would suggest you guys to know how to structure your answers.

My prediction:
Question 1: Drawing on your pre-examination research, analyse two reasons why SYS should produce a business plan for the new expansion venture. (10 marks.)
Question 4: Using your pre-examination research and all the information available to you, analyse the case for and against SYS's decision to expand into Birmingham area. Do you agree with this decision? You should justify your decision. (16 Marks)

I have been practicing these questions for a long time now. Every time I do them I get full marks.

The structure I use is this:
Question 1:
Definition (2 marks)
A point on why they should produce a business plan (3 marks)
Another point (3 marks)
Conclusion (2 marks)

Question 4:
Definition (2 marks)
One point for (3 marks)
Another point for (3 marks)
One point against (3 marks)
Another point against (3 marks)
Conclusion (2 marks)

The formulas you need for the exams are:
Break even= Fixed costs divided by average selling price - variable cost.
Total cost= Fixed + Variable Cost.
Revenue= Average selling price x quantity sold.
Profit= revenue - Total costs.

Hope I helped you guys out, good luck with the exam. If you guys have any information you would like to share, please do so. And if there is anything you guys want to ask me, feel free to ask. Thank you
Reply 3
Original post by ahmadraza281
Hi everyone, I am a student and I am doing this exam tomorrow. By just reading the case study given to us. We can see that the first 10 mark question is going to be about a business plan relating to expansion. The question 4 which is research task b, can be about whether they should expand or not. I would suggest you guys to know how to structure your answers.

My prediction:
Question 1: Drawing on your pre-examination research, analyse two reasons why SYS should produce a business plan for the new expansion venture. (10 marks.)
Question 4: Using your pre-examination research and all the information available to you, analyse the case for and against SYS's decision to expand into Birmingham area. Do you agree with this decision? You should justify your decision. (16 Marks)

I have been practicing these questions for a long time now. Every time I do them I get full marks.

Question 1:
Definition (2 marks)
Another point (3 marks)
Conclusion (2 marks)

Question 4:
Definition (2 marks)
One point for (3 marks)
Conclusion (2 marks)

Hope I helped you guys out, good luck with the exam. If you guys have any information you would like to share, please do so. And if there is anything you guys want to ask me, feel free to ask. Thank you

How do you know the case studies? Are you doing the AQA new specification?
Reply 4
I don't think he's doing the new aqa spec. There's no such thing as a 10marker for our spec lol
Reply 5
Original post by claudiamendes
I'm doing the new AS level AQA spec for Business on the 19th and 23rd May. Just wanted to know if anyone has any predictions of what units might come up?:tongue:

Teachers from my school said that price and/or income elasticity of demand may come up.
Reply 6
Original post by claudiamendes

wellll its hard to say as their are no past papers
we will be sitting the first ever exam of this spec but hopefully it wont be too bad
do any of you guys know any good revision resources?
Original post by ahmadraza281

My prediction:

Question 1:
Definition (2 marks)
Another point (3 marks)
Conclusion (2 marks)

Question 4:
Definition (2 marks)
One point for (3 marks)
Conclusion (2 marks)

Any revision advice or resources for the lower mark questions in-between?
Reply 8
How much is this going to differ from the old spec?
I'm retaking is it the same structure as last year?
Original post by bendover1
I'm retaking is it the same structure as last year?

Dont think so, since you did old spec Im guessing?

nice name hahah
So the exam is essentially the same as last year for me then? And i'm glad you like my name :u:
My teacher said with 9, 16 and 20 mark questions, she said to use BLT (Because, Leads to, Therefore)

For example: Analyse one way in which a luxury car business would respond to a new competitor setting up in the market

One way to respond could be to lower the price because if it is price elastic, this will lead to higher demand and therefore higher sales revenue and in some cases, establish brand loyalty as it is a business that sells luxury goods so it will be bought by early adopters who are not concerned about the price but rather it's quality.
Reply 13
Brush up on general knowledge for the multiple choice questions at the beginning
I think one of the managerial styles will come up.
Also the basic calculations.
Original post by bendover1
So the exam is essentially the same as last year for me then? And i'm glad you like my name :u:

I believe so, probably best to double check though :smile:
good luck guys. i think that there will be a question on the three new p's in the marketing mix (process physical environment people)
Original post by stoatjacko
Any revision advice or resources for the lower mark questions in-between?

I am sure there is going to be one break even question and I think a profit and loss question too. They can even give you a cash flow table to fill in. After that, make sure you revise: Partnership, business plan, business software, cash flow, budgets, variances, etc. Good luck with it!
Original post by keir1997
How do you know the case studies? Are you doing the AQA new specification?

I am doing the old spec. The case study is given to every candidate two weeks before the exam.
Reply 18
Hey guys, my teachers have said they are certain that a question to do with the theorists will come up so brush up on your knowledge of Maslow, Mayo, Taylor etc..
Reply 19
Hi All,

We've had a mock that our teacher has come up with, and his questions were:

1) Why is it important for SYS to use business planning? (10)
2) A revised profit calculation based on a table of figures (8)
3) What would be the advantages and disadvantages if SYS decided to operate as a private limited company? (6)
4)Do you think that SYS should finance the expansion through a bank loan or by finding another partner? (10)
5) Cash flow forecast completion (4)
6) Explain 2 benefits of SYS using business sofware to effectively manage their business (6)
7) SYS have opposing views on the expansion plans. Analyse the arguments for and against expanding to Birmingham. You should advise SYS whether or not the expansion should go ahead. (16)

Hope that helps, and please post any other things that you think may come up.

Good luck tomorrow!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending