The Student Room Group

How badly do I smell of smoke after a cigarette?

I'm a smoker (have been for about a year now) and I smoke about 4 or 5 a day during school and when I go out. I sometimes feel a bit concious when I go near people after a smoke because of the smell. For the non smokers out there how much can you smell the smoke on a smoker and for how long after and does it bother you? Anyone else feel the same?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nanomonkey
I'm a smoker (have been for about a year now) and I smoke about 4 or 5 a day during school and when I go out. I sometimes feel a bit concious when I go near people after a smoke because of the smell. For the non smokers out there how much can you smell the smoke on a smoker and for how long after and does it bother you? Anyone else feel the same?

Can smell it a lot!!! Much more than you notice... It used to bother me for about 5 seconds, but then I moved on with the real problems in my life!
Reply 2
Agreed, smell it a lot.
Reply 3
Listen brah imma be honest with you so dont cry

Its actually legit gag worthy xD

My dad's a chain smoker and I swear I've never gotten used to it. It's the worst when he's away for like a week and then comes back and damn... **** cuts of the circulation in my body. Your poor lungs :cry2:

Like my teacher could tell theres a smoker in the house just by the smell on my homework diary which is always in my bag like 2 floors up

X_X
urgh, I hate being around someone who's just had a smoke... it REALLY stinks and makes me cough
Reply 5
Even just one is a bad stench.

4 or 5 a day? I doubt you'll be clean of the smell at any point throughout the day to be honest. Really sticks in clothes.

Bought a second-hand camcorder once - could still smell cigarette smoke on it for weeks...
Reply 6
Cigarette smoke makes me feel ill.
Original post by nanomonkey

It will smell really strongly, everyone will notice, it lasts for several hours after, particularly during winter if you have coats on or if you smoke in a confined space. You should feel conscious, it's a horrible addiction.

Source: my dad is a smoker.
Reply 8
Original post by TheBirder
It will smell really strongly, everyone will notice, it lasts for several hours after, particularly during winter if you have coats on or if you smoke in a confined space. You should feel conscious, it's a horrible addiction.

Source: my dad is a smoker.

I know its bad and I've tried to cut down, but it's difficult given a number of my freinds smoke and when i'm around them and they are smoking it's sometimes difficult to reduce the urge not to. I don't smoke inside, only outside and I use chewing gum to help reduce the smell.
Original post by Airmed
Cigarette smoke makes me feel ill.

Exactly,same
Reply 10
I only socially smoke when I go to a party or somewhere like that and people don't seem to have too much of a problem with it, though I agree it does stick to clothes and stuff and after a night out I can smell it on my clothes from the night before.

Personally, I don't want to smoke regularly (because I play quite a bit of sport and don't want become addicted) but I know a couple of people who are regular smokers and chewing gum does help reduce the smell, but you can still smell it because it's on their clothes.
I don't in any way mean to cause offence or sound rude here at all, but as a non-smoker (I'm pretty sure fellow non-smokers will agree) you can instantly pick up when someone else has been smoking. I find it pretty disgusting when you can smell it on people's breath and it makes me feel sick, I find that the smell of the smoker is far worse than the smell of the actual smoke itself however I can't quite describe the smell of a smokers-breath, it's just sort of warm, overpowering and sort of like poo :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by mellowjoker
I don't in any way mean to cause offence or sound rude here at all, but as a non-smoker (I'm pretty sure fellow non-smokers will agree) you can instantly pick up when someone else has been smoking. I find it pretty disgusting when you can smell it on people's breath and it makes me feel sick, I find that the smell of the smoker is far worse than the smell of the actual smoke itself however I can't quite describe the smell of a smokers-breath, it's just sort of warm, overpowering and sort of like poo :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

No offence taken :smile: I get that some people don't like smoking and so I avoid smoking when non-smokers are around, and I only tend to smoke when a whole group of people go and smoke. As I said I don't smoke regularly, and so I don't really have a 'smokers breath'.
as the others said it is a vile smell... like Satan has breathed all over you on a bad hygiene day.
depends if u use the smelly stuff or not
meh, depends what brand tbh.

Like on a windy day after a walk the smell kind of goes away.

Does it bother me, no. People often walk away when I am walking and doing it.
Reply 16
Original post by NGBh
I only socially smoke when I go to a party or somewhere like that and people don't seem to have too much of a problem with it, though I agree it does stick to clothes and stuff and after a night out I can smell it on my clothes from the night before.

Personally, I don't want to smoke regularly (because I play quite a bit of sport and don't want become addicted) but I know a couple of people who are regular smokers and chewing gum does help reduce the smell, but you can still smell it because it's on their clothes.

I'm trying to cut down to just 1-2 a day and then eventually stop but I shower regularly and when I'm school I also use body spray to try to mask the smell so hopefully it's not too bad!
Absolutely disgusting. Should be a ban on smoking in a public places.
Reply 18
My brother smokes (secretly) and I can smell him for a long time after
Personally as a non-smoker, I really like the smell of fags, although after trying one and burning my throat in the process, I've never smoked again. Could just be me.

Quick Reply

Latest