The Student Room Group

Edexcel IGCSE Biology 1B 17 May 2016 Unofficial Mark scheme

(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I remember the one i was stuck on haha. advantages of releasing less greenhouse gases. i just put there would be less heat trapped, meaning less global warming - because if heat is trapped then this would lead to more polar ice caps melting and causing floods, and also how they could kill plants like tress leading to the effects of deforestation (leaching, soil erosion etc.). I really think i messed up on that question

What did you guys put for that question? it was out of 5 marks
Original post by escg
I remember the one i was stuck on haha. advantages of releasing less greenhouse gases. i just put there would be less heat trapped, meaning less global warming - because if heat is trapped then this would lead to more polar ice caps melting and causing floods, and also how they could kill plants like tress leading to the effects of deforestation (leaching, soil erosion etc.). I really think i messed up on that question

Thats on the lines of what I wrote but additionally I talked about some specific gases like SO2, what it forms and the results of it.
Reply 3
u done a mark scheme?
Reply 4
Someone please do a mark scheme it would really help
It's worrying that everyone seemed to find the exam easy. It'll probably mean a higher grade boundary and I'm sure I lost marks in the vagina section and probably with the experiment on storing unfertilized egg cells. There were a couple of gaps in the paragraph about micropropagation that I wasn't sure on.
(edited 7 years ago)
Okay Q1

Name 3 organelles not in the nerve cell but in a plant cell:

cell wall;
vacuole;
chloroplast;
Q1 continued - reflex arcs:
receptor cells - (sensory neurone) - relay neurone - motor neurone - effector cells/muscles

gaps are called: synapses
read the other feed :smile:
Everyone you can see the corrections I made on the Unofficial mark scheme (JackCollard) here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4092245
Original post by escg

i talked about:
1) less destruction of habitat e.g: polar bears and how the sea levels are increasing rapidly
2) less acid rain which can destroy fishes in the rivers
3) less carbon monoxide in the air which combines with haemoglobin
4) animal mutation decreases, i gave an example of the peppered moth in which their colour changed due to smoke polluted air (complete bs point but i figured it might help me get a few marks)
5) less destruction to the ozone layer which prevents sun energy from escaping resulting in temperature increase ( i tied it in with point one )

thats all i remember putting in
I'm sure for part b of the eye it is the conjunctiva
Also if I put uterus wall instead of lining will I still get the marks ?
Do you think I would get a mark for saying that CFCs damage the ozone layer so less greenhouse gases in the atmosphere means fewer damaging UV rays from the sun will reach earth and so skin cancer is less likely?
Hi everyone, im 12 yrs old and i took the IGCSE Biology yesterday. It was easy but hard (the 4 and 5 mark questions) , like i knew all of it but applying it was hard and applying is my weak point. Here's some questions there was (the one's i felt was quite challenging) and what i answered:

What effect does oestrogen have at puberty? :
In girls, the breast start to develop and pubic hair starts to grow
.For this one i again was un-sure because it was 4 marks and i only put 2 things

The one where it said label O and M on the graph
I put O where oestrogen and progesterone crossed, and M the highest point on the progesterone line.

Why do runners and cyclists have a lower than average heart rate (something like that)?:
Because they are more use to it, so they do not need as much oxygen at rest (??).I feel like that was a ridiculous answer but oh well i attempted it lol

.I reckon i got about 60-80 percent in paper 1 and i desperately want A*, so in paper 2 im going to try and get 80-90 percent to make up for any mistakes i made in paper 1 lol.
Right now i'm revising for Chem IGCSE for tomorrow at 9am, sooooo freaking nervous, (but a bit more confident than yesterday lol)

Wanna be a neurosurgeon
(edited 7 years ago)
we i wrote something along what you all said but i added the air would be more fresh. this is good for thoes who have lung/inhaling problems and the gases in the air bother them. staff like that.
I was really confused about the question "suggest why there's been a decrease in co2 levels since 1950..." Because it's increased not decreased.
Original post by Talkand...Talk
Hi everyone, im 12 yrs old and i took the IGCSE Biology yesterday. It was easy but hard (the 4 and 5 mark questions) , like i knew all of it but applying it was hard and applying is my weak point. Here's some questions there was (the one's i felt was quite challenging) and what i answered:

What effect does oestrogen have at puberty? :
In girls, the breast start to develop and pubic hair starts to grow
.For this one i again was un-sure because it was 4 marks and i only put 2 things

The one where it said label O and M on the graph
I put O where oestrogen and progesterone crossed, and M the highest point on the progesterone line.

Why do runners and cyclists have a lower than average heart rate (something like that)?:
Because they are more use to it, so they do not need as much oxygen at rest (??).I feel like that was a ridiculous answer but oh well i attempted it lol

.I reckon i got about 60-80 percent in paper 1 and i desperately want A*, so in paper 2 im going to try and get 80-90 percent to make up for any mistakes i made in paper 1 lol.
Right now i'm revising for Chem IGCSE for tomorrow at 9am, sooooo freaking nervous, (but a bit more confident than yesterday lol)

Wanna be a neurosurgeon

why would you put 2 points for a 4 marker question? you could have also included
1) hips develop
2) menstrual cycle starts (especially since the remaining questions were about the menstrual cycle lol)
Original post by melisss22
why would you put 2 points for a 4 marker question? you could have also included
1) hips develop
2) menstrual cycle starts (especially since the remaining questions were about the menstrual cycle lol)

Lol thats true :biggrin:. I think bcz it was my first exam so i kind of started panicking. Thanks a bunch!!
I put that too, but apparently its the sclera ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending