The Student Room Group

GCSE EdExcel Religious Studies help forum! :)

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys,
I agree the exam was very easy for me personally.

Just some tips my teacher told me about the questions.

Question a) (2 marks) - Define the key word, if you cannot define a keyword properly put an example in to guarantee 2 marks
EG: Quality of life - Life has some benefits to live for such as living for your children

Question b) (4 marks) - Always split the question into paragraphs so its easier for the examiner to see your 2 points. Give 2 developed reasons
EG: Firstly, I agree because ....
Secondly, I agree because ....

Question c) (8 marks) - I've been told to do 2 PEEL paragraphs: point, evidence, explain, link back to question. Doing this will guarantee 8 marks
EG: Christians believe in life after death because... The parable of the goat and sheep... Explain the parable and link to Christian life... Therefore, Christians believe in life after death as ...

Question d) (6 marks) - For this question just make 3 simple points on question (i) and 3 simple points on (ii) this guarantees the 6 marks. You don't need to over complicate them and make sure to included religion in your answer

There my tips for answering the question.
Unit 2 and Unit 11... anyboddyyy :smile:
Did Christianity today, Islam here I come! :biggrin:
Religious unit 8 predictions?
Reply 83
Original post by Mez.
Could anyone help me with why justice is important to Muslims? Thanks :biggrin:

1. Qur'an describes God as a Just God who will reward the good and punish the bad on the Last Day.
2. On of the Pillars of Zakah is based on the concept of justice.
3. Everyone is equal before Shari'ah Law.
4. Qur'an wants people to treat each other fairly and to establish justice.

and expansion on each point...
Reply 84
Original post by Mez.
Could anyone help me with why justice is important to Muslims? Thanks :biggrin:

If this was the c) question I would suggest that you use these 4 points, however you would have to develop them to get full marks.
- Muslims believe that God is just and will reward or punish everyone according to how they lived their life - if muslims aren't just they won't go to heaven
- The duty of Muslims as Khalifahs means that they must share the earth's resources equally and fairly.
-Islam teaches that Muslims should not be unjust because it is taught that charging of interest is wrong as it takes away from the poor and gives to the rich.
-The pillar of Zakah shows that muslims have a duty to be fair and to help those in need
Original post by daidai
If this was the c) question I would suggest that you use these 4 points, however you would have to develop them to get full marks.
- Muslims believe that God is just and will reward or punish everyone according to how they lived their life - if muslims aren't just they won't go to heaven
- The duty of Muslims as Khalifahs means that they must share the earth's resources equally and fairly.
-Islam teaches that Muslims should not be unjust because it is taught that charging of interest is wrong as it takes away from the poor and gives to the rich.
-The pillar of Zakah shows that muslims have a duty to be fair and to help those in need

This came up

Posted from TSR Mobile
Unit 8 went ok...could have gone better tbh but I don't think I revised enough personally.
I answered questions 2, 4, 5 and 8.
I was very pushed for time too, which didn't help.
I don't think I will have got the A* as I had to make some stuff up :s-smilie: but I can always dream
Hope everyone did well in the exam today. I did unit 8 this afternoon, but I had no time to check over my answers and be sure that I ticked the right boxes and stuff (I know that sounds stupid but in my mock exam I somehow managed to mix up a question and answer one from the box I didn't tick!:facepalm:) Does anyone know what happens if you do this? I'm really worried!
Original post by NiamhM1801
Unit 8 went ok...could have gone better tbh but I don't think I revised enough personally.
I answered questions 2, 4, 5 and 8.
I was very pushed for time too, which didn't help.
I don't think I will have got the A* as I had to make some stuff up :s-smilie: but I can always dream

I didn't finish both papers :frown:.
Think I done similar questions or the same questions as you did, do you remember what the questions actually were? lol
Original post by Chittesh14
I didn't finish both papers :frown:.
Think I done similar questions or the same questions as you did, do you remember what the questions actually were? lol

Q2: a) golden rule
b) Christians agree to genetic engineering
c) why everyone should vote in elections
d) 'Christians should use a variety of sources...'

Q4: a) 2 examples of how people can work for conservation
b) something to do with infertility treatments I think
c) I think it was about Christian attitudes to stewardship but I'm not sure
d) 'humans can solve the problem of global warming'

Q5: a) aggression
b) can religious organisations work to stop wars
c) religious conflict within families
d) 'religious people should never fight in wars'

Q8: a) justice
b) does prison change people
c) why some followers of one religion other than Christianity agree with capital punishment and others don't
d) 'illegal drugs are a problem to society'
(edited 7 years ago)
b) Christians agree to genetic engineering
c) why everyone should vote in elections
d) 'Christians should use a variety of sources...'

b) something to do with infertility treatments I think
c) I think it was about Christian attitudes to stewardship but I'm not sure
d) 'humans can solve the problem of global warming'

b) can religious organisations work to stop wars
c) religious conflict within families
d) 'religious people should never fight in wars'

Q8: a) justice
b) does prison change people
c) why some followers of one religion other than Christianity agree with capital punishment and others don't
d) 'drugs and alcohol are a problem to society'

Oh yeah haha, what did you write for each question?... if u remember

b) Do you think all Christians should agree to genetic engineering?
c) Why everyone should vote in elections?
d) 'Christians should use a variety of sources of authority when making moral decisions.'

b) Do you think Christians should agree with infertility treatments?
c) Explain the Christian teachings of stewardship.
d) 'humans can solve the problem of global warming'.

b) can religious organisations prevent wars?
c) religious conflict within families.
d) 'religious people should never fight in wars'.

I never done Question 8, I done 7.
It should be something along those lines, the questions ^^
Btw, wasn't Question 8 (d) about alcohol?
(edited 7 years ago)
Oh yeah haha, what did you write for each question?... if u remember

Q2: a) golden rule - the teaching of Jesus that people should treat others how they wanted to be treated
b) Do you think all Christians should agree to genetic engineering? - No because if someone has a genetic disorder then that is part of gods plan and they should accept it. Also genetic engineering tampers with gods creation which could be seen as violating the sanctity of life (looking back I should have put yes)
c) Why everyone should vote in elections? (Summarised) 1: gives people a day on how they want things run 2: allows people to be a part of social change and create the society we want 3: women campaigned for the right to vote and so voting respects their efforts 4: by voting people are making changes that will affect their own life.
d) 'Christians should use a variety of sources of authority when making moral decisions.' - agree, because 1) some sources depend on sufficient knowledge beforehand which someone might not have 2) more sources = more informed choice 3) different sources apply better to different situations. Some may disagree because 1) Cs believe that Bible contains word of God and should always be followed. 2) St. Paul and st Thomas aquinas said that the conscience should always be used as the final part. 3) Cs believe that Sit. Ethics is the best thing as it produces the most loving results

Q4: a) 2 examples of how people can work for conservation - 1: creating nature reserves 2: equal sharing of natural resources sustainably
b) Do you think Christians should agree with infertility treatments? Yes because 1: Jesus was a healer so it is not wrong to cure people of their infertility using infertility treatments. 2: an essential part of Christian family is reproduction so if infertility treatments is the only way then it must be allowed.
c) Explain the Christian teachings of stewardship. (Summarised) believe in stewardship because 1: God created the world and placed man in the garden of Eden as stewards to cultivate it and guard it. 2: Jesus taught that humans have a responsibility to ensure equal sharing of the earth's natural resources. 3: bible says that Christians will be judged on their role as a steward. 4: bible teaches that a good man leaves an inheritance for his children's children.
d) 'humans can solve the problem of global warming'. Agree - 1: burn less fossil fuel to reduce greenhouse effect and global warming. 2) use cars less and use more efficient cars to reduce fuel burnt and greenhouse effect. 3) reduce electricity usage to reduce fuel burnt etc. Some may disagree because: 1) some don't think that global warming can ever be stopped. 2) (this was the weirdest answer I've ever written) God gave man the capabilities to cause pollution so it must be part of his plan 😂. 3: some believe only God can stop global warming.

Q5: a) aggression - attacking without being provoked
b) can religious organisations prevent wars? Yes by: 1: educating both sides so they can learn about their differences and tolerate them without the need for war. 2: encouraging both sides to communicate with each other so they don't feel the need for war and can keep it civil.
c) religious conflict within families. 1: child not wanting to follow parents religion - won't be with them in afterlife and may become immoral without religion. 2: child wanting to marry into a different faith - what religion of children and where will couple be buried. 3: child becoming more religious than parents - criticising their beliefs and way of life. 4: disagreements over moral issues.
d) 'religious people should never fight in wars'. Disagree - Muslims are expected to fight a lesser jihad if they feel their religion is being attacked. 2: prophet Muhammad fought in just wars. 3: Allah said that anyone who died fighting a just war goes straight to heaven. Some may disagree because: 1: war involves killing civilians which is immoral. 2: war involves murder and murder is a sin. 3: can't remember

I never done Question 8, I done 7.
It should be something along those lines, the questions ^^
Btw, wasn't Question 8 (d) about alcohol?

No, just illegal drugs
wasn't it 'should alcohol be illegal'

Q2: a) golden rule - the teaching of Jesus that people should treat others how they wanted to be treated
b) Do you think all Christians should agree to genetic engineering? - No because if someone has a genetic disorder then that is part of gods plan and they should accept it. Also genetic engineering tampers with gods creation which could be seen as violating the sanctity of life (looking back I should have put yes)
c) Why everyone should vote in elections? (Summarised) 1: gives people a day on how they want things run 2: allows people to be a part of social change and create the society we want 3: women campaigned for the right to vote and so voting respects their efforts 4: by voting people are making changes that will affect their own life.
d) 'Christians should use a variety of sources of authority when making moral decisions.' - agree, because 1) some sources depend on sufficient knowledge beforehand which someone might not have 2) more sources = more informed choice 3) different sources apply better to different situations. Some may disagree because 1) Cs believe that Bible contains word of God and should always be followed. 2) St. Paul and st Thomas aquinas said that the conscience should always be used as the final part. 3) Cs believe that Sit. Ethics is the best thing as it produces the most loving results

Q4: a) 2 examples of how people can work for conservation - 1: creating nature reserves 2: equal sharing of natural resources sustainably
b) Do you think Christians should agree with infertility treatments? Yes because 1: Jesus was a healer so it is not wrong to cure people of their infertility using infertility treatments. 2: an essential part of Christian family is reproduction so if infertility treatments is the only way then it must be allowed.
c) Explain the Christian teachings of stewardship. (Summarised) believe in stewardship because 1: God created the world and placed man in the garden of Eden as stewards to cultivate it and guard it. 2: Jesus taught that humans have a responsibility to ensure equal sharing of the earth's natural resources. 3: bible says that Christians will be judged on their role as a steward. 4: bible teaches that a good man leaves an inheritance for his children's children.
d) 'humans can solve the problem of global warming'. Agree - 1: burn less fossil fuel to reduce greenhouse effect and global warming. 2) use cars less and use more efficient cars to reduce fuel burnt and greenhouse effect. 3) reduce electricity usage to reduce fuel burnt etc. Some may disagree because: 1) some don't think that global warming can ever be stopped. 2) (this was the weirdest answer I've ever written) God gave man the capabilities to cause pollution so it must be part of his plan 😂. 3: some believe only God can stop global warming.

Q5: a) aggression - attacking without being provoked
b) can religious organisations prevent wars? Yes by: 1: educating both sides so they can learn about their differences and tolerate them without the need for war. 2: encouraging both sides to communicate with each other so they don't feel the need for war and can keep it civil.
c) religious conflict within families. 1: child not wanting to follow parents religion - won't be with them in afterlife and may become immoral without religion. 2: child wanting to marry into a different faith - what religion of children and where will couple be buried. 3: child becoming more religious than parents - criticising their beliefs and way of life. 4: disagreements over moral issues.
d) 'religious people should never fight in wars'. Disagree - Muslims are expected to fight a lesser jihad if they feel their religion is being attacked. 2: prophet Muhammad fought in just wars. 3: Allah said that anyone who died fighting a just war goes straight to heaven. Some may disagree because: 1: war involves killing civilians which is immoral. 2: war involves murder and murder is a sin. 3: can't remember

No, just illegal drugs
Did Unit 8 today...I really really enjoyed this exam! I was a bit worried before going in to the exam hall thinking that I wasn't too sure on all of the stuff about war but I feel like my teacher had prepared me really well for this exam..almost as awesome as unit 3 on Monday which was also an amazing exam for me..HOPE EVERYONE DID WELL TODAY AND YOU ALL GET WHAT YOU WANT ON RESULTS DAY!

RE GCSE DONE! Only 10 more to go...:s-smilie:
No, just illegal drugs

Sorry, I read something else lol.
And great answers lol way better than my crap ones.

What did you do for illegal drugs in society, that was the worst question -_- in terms of like advantages - why you should allow it.
Original post by heatabi11
wasn't it 'should alcohol be illegal'

Not for question 8...
It was 'illegal drugs are a problem for society' or something along those lines
Do you agree and all that blah blah
Sorry, I read something else lol.
And great answers lol way better than my crap ones.

What did you do for illegal drugs in society, that was the worst question -_- in terms of like advantages - why you should allow it.

Haha really? I thought some of them were quite bad...
And I agreed: 1: people who take illegal drugs are more likely to commit violent crimes than those who don't. 2: in Islam, Allah said that illegal drugs are a way that Satan tries to lead people away from the way of Allah, so they must be bad if they lead people to do bad things. 3: illegal drugs can cause many health problems and so the hospitals have to pay for their treatment which has a knock-on effect to society as a whole. Reasons to disagree: 1: because they are illegal, it is harder for people to possess them and so not much damage can be done to society as not many people are able to take them. 2: the only people the majority of illegal drug users harm is themselves so therefore it doesn't really affect society, just the individual. 3: the punishments for being caught in possession of or dealing drugs are enough to deter many people from doing it so the number of illegal drug users is very small so not a huge issue for society.
Haha really? I thought some of them were quite bad...
And I agreed: 1: people who take illegal drugs are more likely to commit violent crimes than those who don't. 2: in Islam, Allah said that illegal drugs are a way that Satan tries to lead people away from the way of Allah, so they must be bad if they lead people to do bad things. 3: illegal drugs can cause many health problems and so the hospitals have to pay for their treatment which has a knock-on effect to society as a whole. Reasons to disagree: 1: because they are illegal, it is harder for people to possess them and so not much damage can be done to society as not many people are able to take them. 2: the only people the majority of illegal drug users harm is themselves so therefore it doesn't really affect society, just the individual. 3: the punishments for being caught in possession of or dealing drugs are enough to deter many people from doing it so the number of illegal drug users is very small so not a huge issue for society.

Wow nice, I couldn't think of any reaosns to disagree.. lol
Wow nice, I couldn't think of any reaosns to disagree.. lol

I really scraped the barrel for reasons lmao...hopefully though I'll appear "unique" and impress the marker, I really want an A*...:colondollar:
I really scraped the barrel for reasons lmao...hopefully though I'll appear "unique" and impress the marker, I really want an A*...:colondollar:

Lol, hopefully you get it :smile:!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending