The Student Room Group

CCEA AS Maths- C1 Wed 18th May

Hows everyone feeling for C1 Maths for CCEA tomorrow?

Hadn't seen a CCEA thread, so decided to make one!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by John5678

At the minute I'm feeling pretty confident but I probably won't be before the exam. I am hoping if maxima and minima comes up it is easy.
Reply 2
Original post by lmg1
At the minute I'm feeling pretty confident but I probably won't be before the exam. I am hoping if maxima and minima comes up it is easy.

Yes, max/min is nice. Most questions are ok, but there can be the odd dodgy one, that you don't have a clue what to do, frequently the calculus question which is always something random.

other than that, I'm hoping for a good C1 to counteract any downfall in C2 :tongue:
Reply 3

Feel a little nervous. I know the material and have done all the past papers but I know I can make simple mistakes and rush the paper. Need to be sure I spot important things as well...

Any predictions/things they haven't asked in a while you think could come up?
Are you confident for tomorrow?
Reply 4
@lmg1 @ozmo19

How did yous find it? All was good at the start; q7 the proof was dodgy, I didn't get the final answer; but most of my working was broadly similar, so hopefully a few marks there.
Q8 ii I think, where b2-4c = n and (n+1) was such a dodgy question, didn't have a clue there.
Other than that, not bad- but definitely on the hard side.

Your thoughts on how it went?
How did everyone find it, I didn't do it I'm just wondering. What was the last question?
Reply 6
Original post by Golden hawk
How did everyone find it, I didn't do it I'm just wondering. What was the last question?

Something along the lines of.
The equation x2+bx+c has real roots which equal N and (N+1)Solve b2-4ac>0

I think thats the question; although I think I've got the wording of it wrong, as I took there to be 2 meanings from it.
8b was so difficult, I had to get an A2 student to show me how to do it afterwards, he got b^2 - 4c to equal 1?
Anyone know when/if a mark scheme is coming out?
Reply 9
Original post by aoifea100
8b was so difficult, I had to get an A2 student to show me how to do it afterwards, he got b^2 - 4c to equal 1?

I got it equal to 1 too but I decided that n was 1 halfway through but had no method to prove it. Hopefully get a mark or two still from working.

@lmg1 @ozmo19

How did yous find it? All was good at the start; q7 the proof was dodgy, I didn't get the final answer; but most of my working was broadly similar, so hopefully a few marks there.

Q7 proof was quite hard. I didn't prove the final answer. I just factorised A to find h since A=wh and then use it in the next q to get 15 and 20
(edited 7 years ago)
What's the method to get 8b?
Reply 11
Original post by GeorgiaH1
What's the method to get 8b?

I don't know:frown:

We need an unofficial mark scheme made
@lmg1 @ozmo19

Q8 ii I think, where b2-4c = n and (n+1) was such a dodgy question, didn't have a clue there.
Other than that, not bad- but definitely on the hard side.

My friends and I both got the proof for question 7, using different methods if you want estimated solutions?
Reply 13
My friends and I both got the proof for question 7, using different methods if you want estimated solutions?

I got the proof after the exam so its fine.. just couldn't get it at the time.
Ill post some answers in the next post and tell me what you agree with/got different.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ozmo19
I got the proof after the exam so its fine.. just couldn't get it the time.
Ill post some answers in the next post and tell me what you agree with/got different.

Do you have your copy of the exam? Our school doesn't let us take it out with us
Reply 15
@aoifea100

Did anyone get the same answers as these?

1)2-√5

2)i) (2,4)
ii) (4,3)
iii) a= -4

3)x= (7/2)

4)a) -1/(3x)
b) (2,3)

5)ii) (x+4)(2x-3)(x-6)
b)c= -3/2

6)a)a= -1, b= -8
b)ii) x+12y-44=0

7)ii)w=15cm, h=20cm
8)a)(1-3√5)/2 k (1+3√5)/2
b) b^2 -4c = 1
For question 8 part i where you had to find the solution for real roots in the quadratic equation, i made a silly mistake and said b was x-1 when it should have been 6! How many marks will i lose? I still put b^2 -4aC> 0
(edited 7 years ago)
@ozmo19 yeah most of these answers look similar, definitely glad you got that -1/3x, I thought I messed that up a lot
For 8a I did it < in place of which I know is wrong now, but I got the same answer so I should at least get most of the marks for that part
Everything but 8b looks the same as what I got
Reply 18
@ozmo19 yeah most of these answers look similar, definitely glad you got that -1/3x, I thought I messed that up a lot
For 8a I did it < in place of which I know is wrong now, but I got the same answer so I should at least get most of the marks for that part
Everything but 8b looks the same as what I got

I was the only one who got -1/3x so Im glad you got it too! yeah they through that real roots question in to be sneaky. I will only have gotten 1 mark for 8b at best.

Praying for low grade boundaries:redface:
Original post by ozmo19
I was the only one who got -1/3x so Im glad you got it too! yeah they through that real roots question in to be sneaky. I will only have gotten 1 mark for 8b at best.

Praying for low grade boundaries:redface:

I think the issue with that question was that it cancelled to 2-X whereas the other bracket was 3x - 6, so most people probably didn't realise to take -3 out instead of a positive 3?
A lowered grade boundary would be amazing:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending