The Student Room Group

Ocr latin language tomorrow 17/05/2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Are these mistakes major or minor?

I wrote 'having heard these words' rather than recognising the ablative absolute.

I also said 'cruelly prepared' rather than 'prepared a cruel plan.'
Original post by Flammae
Are these mistakes major or minor?

I wrote 'having heard these words' rather than recognising the ablative absolute.

I also said 'cruelly prepared' rather than 'prepared a cruel plan.'

"Having heard these words" is a correct translation, not sure how major of a mistake "cruelly prepared" is
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by tmg1999
How did it go? how many marks will I lose for saying he instead of she for Venus?

I did that too, but realised soon enough. You will probably lose one mark at the most, if it's on the same question that I did it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 14Abbott
What was the translation for 'in mediis silvis'? I put 'in the middle of the woods' but silvis isn't genitive, is it? :s-smilie:

That will be the dative of location- it comes from "silva", plus there is no other way you can write something for that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44
Do you think when these words were heard is ok?
Original post by igggy
I think I put that she punished them as the young man had not given her a gift or something like that...I made it a bit ambiguous and hoped i get the mark coz i wasn't sure. What did u put?

See that threw me completely- if I remember rightly the sentence was something like "cum cognovisset sibi iuvenem dona debesse" or something like that- the "sibi" lost me, but I thought it was rather an indirect statement- "she felt she could not give the young man away as a gift" or something.

Either way it was the last question.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by queenlizzie100
I put that as well! Although I thought "tradidit" meant "throw", but luckily trade was the only word I thought was similar to "tradidit", so I'm glad I put that

At first I had that tradidit meant dragged...but I could only think of trade too, so I ended up having to change it.

What did you put for the "what two things are we told about the apples?"
I put:
There were three apples
They were heavy

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wrote he loved her 'in such a way' for ita

only now do I realise how ridiculous it sounds :colonhash: but apart from that I think it went ok!
Original post by TeenPolyglot
At first I had that tradidit meant dragged...but I could only think of trade too, so I ended up having to change it.

What did you put for the "what two things are we told about the apples?"
I put:
There were three apples
They were heavy

Posted from TSR Mobile

I put that too
Reply 49
Original post by TeenPolyglot
See that threw me completely- if I remember rightly the sentence was something like "cum cognovisset sibi iuvenem dona debesse" or something like that- the "sibi" lost me, but I thought it was rather an indirect statement- "she felt she could not give the young man away as a gift" or something.

Either way it was the last question.

Posted from TSR Mobile

but surely just using common sense she wouldn't punish them for that...idk? :h:
Reply 50
Original post by Crème brûlée
I wrote he loved her 'in such a way' for ita

only now do I realise how ridiculous it sounds :colonhash: but apart from that I think it went ok!

i wrote that too and i think it might be right!
Original post by igggy
but surely just using common sense she wouldn't punish them for that...idk? :h:

That's what I don't get...
What do you guys think the rough grade boundaries will be?
Original post by Arunn22
Do you think when these words were heard is ok?

yeah that it was i wrote , it is the true translation as it is passive
for those worrying about cruel vs cruelly I'm pretty sure it can be either

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/crudele#Latin
Original post by 14Abbott
What was the translation for 'in mediis silvis'? I put 'in the middle of the woods' but silvis isn't genitive, is it? :s-smilie:

It was in the middle of the woods, meaning it was genitive.
Original post by Pepsi Cola :)

I always like working out grade boundaries...
Based solely on the posts I've seen about the exam...

51-A*
43-A
36-B
24-C

That's probably miles off I know but hey ho.
Only half way through the paper did I fully realise that Atalanta was a girl... I wrote 'she' for Q1, but on the passage I thought she was a boy XDXDXD
Original post by Pepsi Cola :)

Our teacher looked at the paper and he said it was the easiest paper 1 we've had :/. he's also an examiner and he said that he predics 55 for a star, 49 for a and 42 for b. He's a bit harsh, but I don't know...
Original post by beans2015
Our teacher looked at the paper and he said it was the easiest paper 1 we've had :/. he's also an examiner and he said that he predics 55 for a star, 49 for a and 42 for b. He's a bit harsh, but I don't know...

Really? I know it was an easy paper but that is quite high!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending