The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nwmyname
is there a spreadsheet for all Edexcel exam and their UMS marks needed for the grade??

There is but only for past exams. Here's the link if you want to check it out(P.S. it's on an Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet):
https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/Support/Understanding%20marks%20and%20grades/Edexcel-mark-converter-1601-v1.xlsm
Reply 101
So I did the quadrilateral question with perfect working, but I don't remember whether or not I added the two separate results together at the end. I did all the working and simplifying and chances are I added the two together, but for some reason I'm doubting myself. The only other bit I dropped marks on was 8a, I got the b^2-4ac and reckon I could have picked up 2 working marks. Does anyone know how many marks I might have lost on the quadrilateral question for not adding the two final values (if that were the cas)?
if you got k wrong in 11 is it still possible to get 4/4 in parts c and d if you apply the correct methods or would you lose accuracy marks?
Original post by Arsey
Here are my solutions.

I thought it was a reasonable paper, expect standard boundaries.

Some of the fractions were a little odd. I think 8a will cause a lot of problems.

I would guess at 62-63 for an A and 55-56 for a B.

Hey Arsey, don't you think the grade boundaries would be lower considering how much harder the paper was from last year? Last year, I think you would have had to get 62 or 63 for an A.
Hey, for the quadrilateral question... instead of working it out the way you did, i split it into two right angle triangles (line drawn from P to Q).. i then worked out length of side from P to Q, and Q to R... i then used area of triangle 1/2bh for both triangles then added them up.. because i worked out length of sides, i got surd form answers, so in my final answer i got something like (88+root56644)/2. If you put this in a calculator you get the same answer as you did in your working out (163/3). Do you think ill get the marks for this question?
Would 74/75 get me 100 UMS?
Original post by Osmal069
Hey, for the quadrilateral question... instead of working it out the way you did, i split it into two right angle triangles (line drawn from P to Q).. i then worked out length of side from P to Q, and Q to R... i then used area of triangle 1/2bh for both triangles then added them up.. because i worked out length of sides, i got surd form answers, so in my final answer i got something like (88+root56644)/2. If you put this in a calculator you get the same answer as you did in your working out (163/3). Do you think ill get the marks for this question?

If the examiner works out that your answer is equal to 163/3 then you should get the marks
Right so for 8a I didn't know what to do so attempted the discriminant on the quadratic alone, giving me just 4p^2. Would I get a mark for recognising discriminant or is that a straight 0 marks? (minus up to 4 marks)

I missed out 6c (minus 1 mark)

I also think I got the very last question wrong (possibly minus 2 marks)

Hopefully looking at 68 worst case, maybe 70 best case
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 108
Original post by boyyo
lol same, I hope its error carried forward:s-smilie:

i don't see a reason why it shouldn't be? or maybe i'm being too hopeful
but honestly i'd be so annoyed because i did all the working out correctly :/
10C) Found the area of trapezium correct but forgot to divide by 2 when finding area of a triangle ..... Thus leading to
wrong answer....

Anyone know how many method and accuracy marks i would get? Was thinking 2.

Sigh this was my redo and was 1-2 marks of 90 UMS which would've put me on an A at AS....

Really hoping they drop the grade boundaries and give me method marks..
Reply 110
Thanks for the model answers, they were very reassuring. I think I got 71-73 out of 75. Just out of interest, how much UMS is 71/75 likely to score?
Everyone's incredibly over-complicated 6c, it tells you at the start of the question that a(n+1) = 5 - ka(n), meaning ka(n) + a(n+1) = 5, so you just multiply that by 100
Reply 112
Original post by Arsey
Here are my solutions.

Some of the fractions were a little odd. I think 8a will cause a lot of problems.

Is there any chance of having 52 for a B at all?
Original post by Arsey
Here are my solutions.

Hi Arsey,

I know you help people out every year!

I just wanted to thank you !! ... also It is totally fine if you dont get to answer... but

I reckon I got a lowest mark... I reckon I could have got higher of 69.... I need an A in my A2 ....

I got 89% in C2 last year... what do you think I need in C3,C4,and D1 to get my A?

Many thanks,

Will
Original post by 713Wave
I think I got the same, well done to the both of us :smile:)))))))))

me too, don't think we'd lose a mark though, it didn't specify it wants the answer in its simplest form, and it is exactly equal to 163/3, don't think we will lose marks for this. Might be wrong.
Thought this was reasonable (on the easier side even) except for 8a. 8a is a good question but I'm guessing most struggled with it.
Reply 116
Original post by jamessmith15
i wrote 3 to the 9x+3 by accident
Would i still get a method mark for this?

I did exactly the same thing. I presume I would get one method mark.. Not too sure
Original post by Arsey
Here are my solutions.

How did you make this?
Original post by Billsonbubbles
Hi Arsey,

I know you help people out every year!

I just wanted to thank you !! ... also It is totally fine if you dont get to answer... but

I reckon I got a lowest mark... I reckon I could have got higher of 69.... I need an A in my A2 ....

I got 89% in C2 last year... what do you think I need in C3,C4,and D1 to get my A?

Many thanks,

Will

Sorry for interrupting...

..assuming you know your UMS, this might help!

http://umstools.sourceforge.net/demo/www/index.php?p=calculator&target=gce
Original post by NotNotBatman
Thanks, 75/75 :smile:

you sure?

Latest

Trending

Trending