The Student Room Group

not sure to take a student loan?

So basically im a mature student, and im in the process of sorting out uni stuff, but I'm not sure if I should take a student loan. I live about an hour away (by train) so I'm thinking of commuting (might go live in halls/accomodation though if I change my mind down the line). I could try and pay it off year by year with some help but im not sure if that's the best idea or if I should take the loan first then worry about paying it off at the end? My course is in London so I'd be taking out a pretty big loan (9k/london maintenance) each year (if I live there too) which is slightly off putting.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by raconner
So basically im a mature student, and im in the process of sorting out uni stuff, but I'm not sure if I should take a student loan. I live about an hour away (by train) so I'm thinking of commuting (might go live in halls/accomodation though if I change my mind down the line). I could try and pay it off year by year with some help but im not sure if that's the best idea or if I should take the loan first then worry about paying it off at the end? My course is in London so I'd be taking out a pretty big loan (9k/london maintenance) each year (if I live there too) which is slightly off putting.

You can always reduce the amount you borrow later on if it ends up being too much or just dont take out the maximum loan.
If you didn't take out the loan, what would you live on? If you take the loan, it's there if you need it.

Quick Reply

Latest