The Student Room Group

AQA A2 MFP3 Further Pure 3 – 18th May 2016 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by -jordan-
It was lnx/x^7 with limits infinity and 1 I believe.

Original post by C0balt
Do you remember how many marks was Maclaurin

Posted from TSR Mobile

3 for maclaurin
1 for the subs of .1
Original post by -jordan-
Said no one, ever

Says me, after that FP3 paper I can't wait to see what kinds of wacky questions they've put in the FP2 paper :biggrin:.
Original post by Barbecuetime123
3 for maclaurin
1 for the subs of .1

Ah okay thanks, hopefully the 1 mark is ECF and so hopefully lost 6 marks maximum on this paper or else goodbye to my first choice lmao

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
Ah okay thanks, hopefully the 1 mark is ECF and so hopefully lost 6 marks maximum on this paper or else goodbye to my first choice lmao

Posted from TSR Mobile

What's your first choice?
Reply 505
Anyone any idea of what the grade boundaries should be for a B/C/D?
(edited 7 years ago)
From memory these where the questions and my answers. i made a few mistakes and if someone could explain Q2 and Q4 to me that would be great
Original post by JME_CHG
What's your first choice?

Cambridge, need A* in FM but things are looking grim right now. I wanted to get as many UMS as possible in FP3 because I find FP2 much more difficult and I think it's easier to make FP2 questions more difficult if you know what I mean. Oh well, Ill see how FP4 M3 M2 go...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Busted838
From memory these where the questions and my answers. i made a few mistakes and if someone could explain Q2 and Q4 to me that would be great

Yeah Q2 is wrong there. Btw 11x2=1+x2+x4+x6+\dfrac{1}{1-x^2}=1+x^2+x^4+x^6+ \ldots
It's just an infinite geometric series with first term 1 common ratio x2x^2, no need for Maclaurin!!

Algebraic slip in Q4.

For Q6 better just to say pp \rightarrow \infty corresponds to a0+a \rightarrow 0^+ and use log laws to write ln(1a)=lna\ln(\frac{1}{a})=-\ln a.

Mistakes in Q8 integration.

Q5 not completed?

Apart from those points I think everything else is ok.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by C0balt
Cambridge, need A* in FM but things are looking grim right now. I wanted to get as many UMS as possible in FP3 because I find FP2 much more difficult and I think it's easier to make FP2 questions more difficult if you know what I mean. Oh well, Ill see how FP4 M3 M2 go...

Posted from TSR Mobile

What course is this? NatSci?
Original post by IrrationalRoot
What course is this? NatSci?

Yeah

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah Q2 is wrong there. Btw 11x2=1+x2+x4+x6+\dfrac{1}{1-x^2}=1+x^2+x^4+x^6+ \ldots
It's just an infinite geometric series with first term 1 common ratio x2x^2, no need for Maclaurin!!

Algebraic slip in Q4.

For Q6 better just to say pp \rightarrow \infty corresponds to a0+a \rightarrow 0^+ and use log laws to write ln(1a)=lna\ln(\frac{1}{a})=-\ln a.

Mistakes in Q8 integration.

Q5 not completed?

Apart from those points I think everything else is ok.

what is the slip in Q4 and mistake in integration?

and thanks aha
Original post by Busted838
what is the slip in Q4 and mistake in integration?

and thanks aha

Well there's nothing specific to note, just a couple of algebraic errors that can be easily corrected by going over the algebra again.
Reply 513
I totally messed up one question(expansion with Euler stuff) and maybe another part of a second question but the rest seems similar to anyone else does anyone think that will be enough for an A(literally scrape 80)
Original post by Hjyu1
I totally messed up one question(expansion with Euler stuff) and maybe another part of a second question but the rest seems similar to anyone else does anyone think that will be enough for an A(literally scrape 80)

Seems like the grade boundaries maybe like last years. http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/about-results/uniform-mark-scale/convert-marks-to-ums Have a look and see what you roughly need to get.
Dear Grade Boundaries,

Please be at least like June 2014 and refrain from being a '2015 FP1' and be high af despite everyone agreeing it was atrocious.
Your cooperation would be greatly appreciated.

Yours sincerely,
Year 13 students
Well that exam was hard work...
Original post by C0balt
Dear Grade Boundaries,

Please be at least like June 2014 and refrain from being a '2015 FP1' and be high af despite everyone agreeing it was atrocious.
Your cooperation would be greatly appreciated.

Yours sincerely,
Year 13 students

I think it'll be about 71 for 100 UMS this time. And 2015 FP1 wasn't that bad :redface:.

You're right about it being easier to make FP2 harder though, but it's good in a way since the questions will be even more challenging/interesting than those in this year's FP3 :smile:. FP3 is a lot more boring than FP2 generally.

As for M2 I just know that they'll make that really tough and screw everyone over with strange questions...
I think it'll be about 71 for 100 UMS this time. And 2015 FP1 wasn't that bad :redface:.

You're right about it being easier to make FP2 harder though, but it's good in a way since the questions will be even more challenging/interesting than those in this year's FP3 :smile:. FP3 is a lot more boring than FP2 generally.

As for M2 I just know that they'll make that really tough and screw everyone over with strange questions...

FP1 wasn't
what did zacin @Zacken think

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending